The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

its a good price for the real gone editions

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

As others have said, it is a good price. Maybe not a fantastic price, but this release is way up there in terms of innovative playing. The sound quality is quite good also (but not 10*s great). Perhaps an 8.5 or 9/10.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  3. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Found a spindle of cd's in my basement and pulled out 4/18/82. Haven't listen to this one in a long while.

Band Grateful Dead
    Venue Hartford Civic Center
    Location Hartford, CT
    Date 4/18/82 - Sunday

One Bertha > The Promised Land ; Friend Of The Devil > C C Rider ; Ramble On Rose ; Me And My Uncle > Mexicali Blues ; Althea > Looks Like Rain ; Big Railroad Blues ; Let It Grow

Two Cold Rain And Snow > Samson And Delilah ; Ship Of Fools ; Playing In The Band > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space (1) > The Other One > Black Peter > Sugar Magnolia > Playing In The Band > Sunshine Daydream
    Encore Don't Ease Me In
    Comments (1) Earthquake Space

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

5. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

I was there! Fantastic show with a great set list and that one time dark star > cumberland blues. The dark star was very interesting. During a space the lights were lowered and the band were faced back at the amps. They then came back to Earth and turned to the audience for the end. The ceiling of the place looked like stars on a black background so that added to the whole thing.

6. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just saw this on bt-etree; definitely an interesting project. It will be nice to have it on a hard drive.

The amount of material out there, never ceases to amaze me. Truly a one of kind band and fans. God love 'em - as Weir would say.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  7. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

davmar77, how many shows did you go to, and what years (if you don't mind)? From your comments I can tell you hit a lot of good ones.

budwhite likes this.
  8. hyde park

hyde park Forum Resident

Just got to the Earthquake space of 4/18/82 - man to be in the audience for this show! What a trip.

rockinlazys, budwhite and Crispy Rob like this.
  9. davmar77

My first show was expo 67 in Montreal although I don't think of it that way since I wasn't there for a concert and hadn't heard of them yet. We were on a family vacation. I consider my first show 11/6/70 in port chester. From then until spring of 81 I saw about 70 dead shows regularly. After that I saw a handful until the end in 95. That doesn't include lots of garcia, weir and such offshoots. My first garcia shows were with saunders 12/72 at the lion's share in San Anselmo. We hung out with the band and that was my first time meeting garcia. We had a one on one conversation. I also saw him with old and in the way. My favorite dead shows include that 70 show, 3 nights at the Academy of music 3/72, Washington DC 6/73, that jersey city 72 show, nassau 3/73 among others.

10. trd

trd Forum Resident

Got out the Rocking the Cradle release. It's been a long time since I listened to most of this. The shakedown seems to pop up on various friends playlists. I'm listening through the whole thing but I'm particularly excited about getting to the Olin Agreed>FOTM>Iko, Shakedown>Drums portion of disc 2

11. trd

trd Forum Resident

That's a damn fine list to have been present at

Billy_Sunday, US Blues and Crispy Rob like this.
  12. davmar77

i posted this is the garcia thread too so just in case you missed there...

many of you here know my brother jeff. for those who don't, he's been a music journalist since the 70's and has either written for or as editor for magazines such as bam, goldmine, relix, jazz times and others. he also wrote the jefferson airplane book; got a revolution. here's an interesting story he recently wrote. i thought many of you would get a kick out of it.

I was asked to recount my all-time favorite rock 'n' roll experience for the website I edit, BestClassicBands.com.

Here is what I wrote:

Where to begin? I figure I’ve been to a couple of thousand concerts, and so many of them have been history-making, including the Last Waltz in San Francisco, a bunch of Who concerts, Zeppelin’s first U.S. tour, a few dozen shows at the Fillmore East, amazing shows by the Clash and the Ramones, now-departed giants like Johnny Cash, Miles Davis, Elvis Presley (yes, I saw Elvis), B.B. King, Ray Charles, etc. In my capacity as a music journalist I’ve gotten to meet, or at least converse on the phone with, many of my all-time music idols, including Roy Orbison, Ray Davies, Elvis Costello, Ringo Starr, Carlos Santana, Herbie Hancock, Linda Ronstadt, Brian Wilson, Frank Zappa and more.

But if I have to choose one favorite actual experience it’s this one: In the summer of 1971 my friend Richie and I decided to drive cross-country from New York to San Francisco and spend the summer in the Bay Area, going to concerts and soaking up what was left of the hippie vibe. We saved money from our taxi-driving jobs and took our time driving out, going across Canada and spending a week on an island off the coast of Washington State (Jim Morrison died the week we were there), then headed south to San Fran.

On the very day we reached the Bay Area we nonchalantly decided we would go visit the Grateful Dead, just like that. We were both huge Dead Heads and although we couldn’t think of any reason they would be receptive to a couple of kids from the East Coast we figured we had nothing to lose. All they could do is shut the door in our faces, if they were even there.

We had brought with us a copy of the first vinyl Dead bootleg—this from before people really started exchanging Dead tapes—and we decided that would be our excuse to go see them. We had the address of their office in San Rafael, north of the Golden Gate Bridge in Marin County, and we headed up there.

As we approached the building, which was just a big house on a corner, we saw Jerry Garcia standing in the driveway, talking to some guy. Was this really happening? We got out of the car, with the bootleg album, casually strolled up and said, “Hi Jerry, we just drove in from New York and we have this bootleg album. Would you like to hear it?”

“Sure!” he said. “Come on in!”

We tried to act as if this was just a normal everyday occurrence for us, getting an impromptu invitation from one of our favorite rock stars to hang out. Jerry took us to an upstairs room where he had a sound system set up, put the record on and we listened while talking about what the Dead were up to, what we were doing in the Bay Area and all sorts of things.

Needless to say, the air in the room quickly became more pungent but Jerry was in no hurry to kick us out or do anything else; he was enjoying himself too. At various points in the afternoon, Dead members Bob Weir and Phil Lesh poked their heads in for a few minutes to check out the music, as did a couple of members of New Riders of the Purple Sage, still a GD spinoff group at that point.

After the bootleg finished, Jerry asked us, “Hey, have you guys heard the New Riders’ album yet?” Of course we hadn’t—it hadn’t been released! He took a pristine vinyl test pressing of the band’s debut album out of a white LP jacket, placed it on the turntable and we listened to that all the way through as the fog in the room became even thicker.

Finally, after a couple of hours, the Dead’s manager came in and reminded Jerry he had to be someplace. He excused himself, put the NRPS album back in its sleeve and said, “You guys can have this. I have more.” Richie grabbed it (he was quicker than me) and the last time I spoke to him, a couple of years ago, he told me he still had it!

When we spoke, I said to him, “Richie, you have to promise me one thing. If you go before I do, you have to leave that album to me.” He just smiled.

Postscript--The summer after that hang with Jerry I returned to the Bay Area with another friend. This time I stayed for five years.

Jeff Tamarkin

13. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Listening to some Jerry Band from Nov 1975 this evening.

I don't think I have ever heard any of his solo band music from 1975-76 that wasn't delightful.

14. wavethatflag

This might be the best story ever. The greatest story ever told. :D

15. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

16. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

Free the Spindles !

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  17. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

such a cool story

18. wavethatflag

"So there I was with Jerry, high as a kite, and I just had to ask him, 'Jerry, can I pull on your beard?' He told me to leave."

EDIT: I just started my third listen of Dylan & The Dead in about five days. I didn't like this when it came out, and now I definitely do.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  19. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

that was one of my first DP's. I then started trading cd-rs. That was about 2000. You should see my Dead/Jerry Collection now.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Here we go, my review of DP17. I'm afraid my opinion hasn't changed a lot since I last heard it:
    Grateful Dead – Dick’s Picks Volume 17 (Boston 25-9-1991) »

21. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

Been watching the GD Movie and the dvd's bonus cuts these last few days. Probably my favorite Dead dvd. :)

Last night the patrons of Dollar General got to hear the entirety of 2/26/77 San Bernardino and 5/22/77, Dick's Picks 3

:)

22. Tom B

Tom B Forum Resident

A few years back I saw counting crows and was wearing a t shirt from just before they hit it big in 94ish. I saw them way back. Someone asked me if I had got the shirt from an early show and was really jealous when he learnt I'd seen them back in the early days. I was very proud... but the above account makes mine less than nothing. I am beyond jealous. I'm almost proud to be able to respond to someone who saw the Dead in that era and those shows. Thumbs up.

23. warewolf95

So as far as Dead listening at Dollar General is concerned, I never play a show I haven't already heard - I want to listen truly if I'm gonna hear one for the first time.

So I only play stuff I can "rely" on, so to speak.

What are some of you guys's go-to shows for listening?

Mine include:

5/22/77
    2/26/77
    12/19/73
    3/22/90
    2/26/90
    6/12/76
    2/28/73
    2/26/73

Among many more....

Erik B. and Scopitone like this.
  24. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

"The second sets from 6/26 and 6/28 are, well, shall we say that something very incredible occurs," said Dick.

[​IMG]

25. warewolf95

Someone should find my post where I said that contained the jam of the gods and then promptly fainted :D