Musically what year did the sixties end?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by colgems1966, Dec 2, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Woodstock wasn't a beginning, it was an ending. It was a beautiful ending though.

DTK likes this.
  2. coniferouspine

coniferouspine Forum Resident

Yes but I am differentiating between the actual event itself and the beginning of the cashing in on the event, the building/hyping/pushing of its legacy after the fact. The event was cool, but the release of the film marks a state of looking backwards at the decade instead of forwards or being in the present.

3. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yeah, sorry, your mention of Woodstock just triggered that thought of mine, I probably shouldn't have quoted your post because I wasn't responding to your real point.

DTK and coniferouspine like this.
  4. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

Based on music, I would say it started in 1962 with the blues boom in the U.K. 1969 feels like when people started looking back after psychedelia and some maybe felt they went too far out and looked back. 1968 was the first year albums sold more than singles but it was still a big singles year. To me, 1969 seemed more removed from pop and rock started. I would say 1969 but it was a transition from 1969 - 1972. Even though Vietnam was still going and it was a collective expression of revolt and change at what came before, these same people had been worn down by what was going on. I'd say the spirit died off then and definitely after Nixon was out. At the latest, I'd say 1974 but everyone's younger brother and sister kept the look, but maybe not the spirit, of the late 60's going all the way through about 1981 or 82. They knew the party aspect, not so much the the 'standing for change' aspect. The 60's spirit of youth and change was maybe more like 1963-1973. But you also had bands that defined the 70's coexisting in the late 60's also. I'll say the 60's ended the day I was born; May 19, 1969.

Mechanical Man and jamesmaya like this.
  5. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Culturally and politically, maybe the '60's ended when young guys no longer had to worry about being drafted and possibly sent to Vietnam. They could now commence to continuous partying--so whenever the draft was ended (1970?).
    Musically, the '60's ended when the music business realized just how much money could be made selling long-playing albums ( as opposed to singles) to continuously partying young people who no longer had to worry about being sent to war--and as a consequence were generally less concerned with politics overall (definitely by 8/74).

muffmasterh likes this.
  6. gudnoyez

gudnoyez Forum Resident

December 31st 1969 11:59 pm and 60 seconds. I can only assume anything released after that would be considered the 70s era:whistle:

DBR70 and SITKOL'76 like this.
  7. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Summer 1970.

8. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

I tend to agree as the 'vibe' had changed as perhaps reflected by the difference between Hunky Dory and Ziggy.

timind and muffmasterh like this.
  9. Eleventh Earl of Mar

Eleventh Earl of Mar Somehow got them all this far.

A lot of folk/acid folk/progressive folk albums I have keep a familiar sound until about 1971, or rather, they sound "dated", like they were recorded in the 60s. But it's a hard question to pin down since you could argue the 70s started in the 60s and the 80s started in the 70s etc. etc. but you can't argue that the 60s started anywhere but he 60s.

jamesmaya likes this.
  10. muffmasterh

muffmasterh Forum Resident

i agree, it is generally regarded that the sixties began with the Beatles in 63 or 4 ( depending on your location ) and you could argue that the 70's began in 69 as I always remember thinking in the mid 70's how fresh Abbey Road sounded whereas Beatles albums before that sounded to a lesser or greater degree dated, but in some ways I have also argued that the 60's ended between 71-72.

I think the answer maybe is a what point did the 70's acquire its own identity and i think that was for sure by 1972 and probably that transition started earlier in 1971. Imho until 1977 that identity - with some exceptions ( eg Bowie ) was inferior to the 60's but i think from 1972 it was clearly now manifestly different .

jamesmaya likes this.
  11. Mother

Mother Forum Resident

12. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Forum Resident

My older brother, who was born in 1956, was in the last year of the draft (by the way - 1956 was a leap year, and his birthday was picked number 366 in the lottery).

I was born in 1957, and my birth year was the first year that didn't have to register.

13. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

The Vietnam draft ended January 27, 1973.

J Vanarsdale and JoeF. like this.
  14. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Out of curiosity, have you ever actually heard any punk songs? Because that description suggests you have not.

strummer101 and muffmasterh like this.
  15. blair207

blair207 Forum Resident

February 1970 when LZ II knocked Abbey Road of No1 in the U.K. Album charts.

16. 1971 ... no more Beatles album, no more 60's...

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes and the end came on the Monday morning as Jimi Hendrix played out the festival and the 60s with that Amazing performance of The Star Spangled Banner.
    Altamont was the nail in the coffin.
    Also, John Lennon's "God" with that line "the dream is over"

18. JoeF.

JoeF. Forum Resident

Thanks. So it was 73/74 when the '80's ended.

19. jkauff

jkauff Senior Member

The cultural 60s in the U.S. ended around 1967, when TIME magazine discovered what was going on and let the rest of the world know. Don't forget the real freaks held a funeral for the "hippie" in Oct. 1967. By early 1968, Frank Zappa was asking "Is that a real poncho, or a Sears poncho?"

In music, things had gone from the Warlocks/Grateful Dead playing for Ken Kesey's acid parties for free to a race to get signed by a major record label. "Peace and Love" became marketing slogans.

Woodstock and Altamont brought an end to the marketability of "The Sixties". By that time, the real 60s were long gone.

numer9 likes this.
  20. Hippie Saint

Hippie Saint Well-Known Member

Hippie culture, lifestyle, music or whatever was neither in full swing when the 60's started around '63/64 (JFK assasination, the Beatles and the British invasion groups, etc, etc) nor when it ended probably around '72 or '74. The hippies were just part of the decade. 'The Death Of The Hippie' in 1967'( or whenever) is not the end of the 60s.

Damiano54 likes this.
  21. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Over here as well! :righton:

22. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Musically, probably 1970. Hardrock and progrock were really hitting their stride, The Beatles split and the 27-club became a sad fact.

23. kaztor

kaztor Music is the Best

Going by the bill and going by gut feeling it pretty much pre-figures 1970.

24. Classicolin

Classicolin ‘60s/‘70s Rock Fanatic/Crown Kingdom Guitarist

1972...and handily so, as I see it. In this year, some of the previous decade's most quintessentially 'Sixties' bands disbanded, including CCR, Jefferson Airplane and the Velvet Underground. The Moody Blues released their final initial-run album in their classic septet in Seventh Sojourn, before briefly taking a bow after a tour in support of the record. The Doors, although still active (albeit without recently deceased Jim Morrison), were essentially irrelevant and 'finished' in the public eye without Jim (and their final record, Full Circle, was released in '72 anyway). In January of that year, Pink Floyd debuted live performances of the eventual Dark Side of the Moon LP in concert, which would become one of the Seventies' most iconic album releases and would usher in the band's abandonment's of experimental, underground psychedelia. In February, Paul and Linda McCartney unveiled Wings. Many of the superstars of the Seventies were by now fully established, including Elton John, The Doobie Brothers, Neil Diamond, David Bowie, America, Eagles, Rod Stewart (as a solo artist) and Jim Croce among others. Jimi Hendrix's last major posthumous LP release of the decade would be released with War Heroes, and the sales and chart success of that album would be severely diminished from 1971's The Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge. The Monkees, who broke up the previous year, and The Cowsills, who disbanded in '72, were now firmly supplanted by The Osmonds, The Jackson 5 and The Partridge Family. Of course, as has already been mentioned, glam rock, early heavy metal and progressive rock would replace psychedelia, flowery pop-rock and rebellious, politically-driven rock as the dominant musical stylings of the era.

In '73, the King Biscuit Flower Hour would debut, Led Zeppelin would break The Beatles' live concert attendance record at their Tampa Stadium show on their U.S. tour, CBGB's would open its doors, AC/DC and Kiss would form, and other '70s staples such as Lynyrd Skynyrd, Queen, Aerosmith, Backman-Turner Overdrive, The Marshall Tucker Band and 10cc would all release their debut albums (not to mention Montrose coming out with their S/T album, which essentially established the blueprint for the mid-to-late '70s era hard rock sound).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    vertical, muffmasterh and vernon like this.
  25. Brian Lux

Brian Lux One in the Crowd

I believe it was whatever year Strunk and White's Greatest Hits came out.

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.