I love John Denver!!!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by imagnrywar, Nov 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gramfan

gramfan Forum Resident

What a damn talent and voice.. should not lost in the Seventies to be forgotten..

Hall Cat, dylankicks, Keith V and 3 others like this.
  2. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Well it's not like he's been forgotten by the public. He was still regularly performing up until his death.

3. Night Fever Music

Night Fever Music New Member

I agree with you @gramfan, John Denver should not be a forgotten voice but sadly he has been largely overlooked by the music press. Case in point, last year CNN had an original series entitled "CNN: Music Of The Sixties" and "CNN: Music Of The Seventies" both failed to even give mention to John Denver. Personally, I believe it's because Denver's songs defy both genre and category, his music was usually in the Pop section, but could also be found in Rock, Country or Folk. Even today listening to his music it's difficult to classify his style of music. Some of Denver's songs are so personal and heartbreakingly, listening to them is an emotional experience unlike any I can compare. Other songs contain themes of nature, flight and the passage of time. Has anyone else noticed how you never hear John Denver on the radio? He sold over 30 million records in his career!! During the 1970s his album sales were on par with Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd, bands who rule the airwaves still today. It seems John Denver has been rediscovered by new artists. A few years ago there were a couple of loving tribute album that featured Dave Matthews, My Morning Jacket, J Mascis and Sharon Van Etten. Another featured Low, Red House Painters, Bonnie Prince Billy, Innocence Mission and Tarnation. For vinyl fans, Night Fever Music has just released three of John Denver's albums back on LP. Remastered and on colored, 180 Gram, limited edition vinyl. More are coming in 2017!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

yesstiles, keyXVII, Hep Alien and 8 others like this.
  4. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I saw him "in the round" in the early 80's. It was a fantastic concert. All you need to know about John is this album..........

[​IMG]

5. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

I wasn't a big fan, but I was saddened by his untimely passing.

Bingo Bongo likes this.
  6. Scott S.

Scott S. lead singer for the best indie band on earth

He's very underrated I think, mostly due to his dweeby ways. Though I wish I never heard Thank God I'm A Country Boy, it would've been a better life. haha

starduster likes this.
  7. tank64

tank64 Forum Resident

My favorite John Denver album. He was great in concert, with a good sense of humor.

8. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

He was a brilliant singer/songwriter, but at a certain point in the Seventies, he was no longer taken seriously, due to his own career moves:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

His Christmas in Concert album is just wonderful.

10. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member

Aw but those are two of the best things he was involved in!

11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

John Denver - The Eagle and the Hawk:

12. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

Here's a forgotten gem from the latter days.

keyXVII and Darrin L. like this.
  13. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Here's a paeticularly beautiful song, with Olivia Newton John singing back up...

John Denver & Olivia Newton-John "Fly Away" (1975):

John Adam, yesstiles and Keith V like this.
  14. MusicMatt

MusicMatt Quality over Quantity

One of my favorite artists of all time. Saw him perform in Reno back in 1996. Great show!

Keith V likes this.
  15. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

...and the song he wrote that kickstarted his career...

John Denver - Leaving on a Jet Plane:

Beer Milk Shake likes this.
  16. wilejoe

wilejoe Forum Resident

John Denver Wildlife Concert
    One great show

MusicMatt likes this.
  17. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Sadly, he left us the same way.....

Hall Cat, Bigbudukks and Zoot Marimba like this.
  18. Propinquity

Propinquity Forum Resident

Saw him when I was about twelve years old. I remember being blown away by his 12 string guitar work. He did most of the show solo and carried it well. His songs were often magical and there's no denying that he was a great singer, although he did sound bored singing "Country Roads" in later years. His death was perhaps the first entertainer's that really upset me. When I got older and rediscovered his music, I was surprised to learn there was so much unhappiness in his life.

Hep Alien and Keith V like this.
  19. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Wow! I love the color of that Rocky Mountain High vinyl.

20. idleracer

idleracer Forum Resident

:kilroy: A major reason John Denver isn't taken as seriously as a songwriter as say, James Taylor or Jackson Browne, probably has a lot to do with the fact that his first three albums consisted of roughly 15% originals and 85% covers. It's difficult to shake off that sort of first impression.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

OptimisticGoat, Hep Alien and somnar like this.
  21. ronm

ronm audiofreak

I remember being at Peaches Records and Tape in Denver with my older brother when Thank God I'm A Country Boy was at the top of the charts.I told my brother I liked that song and he punched me.I was like 13 or 14 at the time.

22. samurai

samurai Step right up! See the glory, of the royal scam.

Attended one concert possibly two.
    He put on a hell of a show.
    Remember he liked to play his Guild 12 string.

dylankicks and Keith V like this.
  23. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

John Denver wrote a tremendously large number of high quality songs and his voice had a very warm sincere sound to it.
    I heard "Sunshine On My Shoulder" the other day on the radio and I was actually a bit teary by the end of it.
    He is underrated for sure!

dylankicks likes this.
  24. ronm

ronm audiofreak

Yeah I remember he was everywhere in the mid 70s.Underrated and mostly forgotten anymore to the masses.

25. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I would place him in the genius category. Much like Johnny Cash and Gordon Lightfoot, he was sorta like a genre into himself in that he had a distinctive and unique sound that no one else could reproduce.

skisdlimit, keyXVII, Beech and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.