What is needed to give garage rock (or even baroque pop) a revival?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Or Thee Oh Sees. There have been numerous garage revival scenes over the years, though much of it goes on under the radar.

2. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

OP, correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you're asking what could bring a mainstream garage rock revival to replace all the current mainstream EDM. Something you don't need satellite radio stations or YouTube searches to find; bands who dominate at the AMAs and the Jingle Ball, etc.

I have no idea. All the American teens I know, other than a couple outliers, are happy with mainstream music as is. They are the industry's only concern, so I don't expect things to change anytime soon.

Ophelia likes this.
  3. Brian Kelly

Brian Kelly 1964-73 rock's best decade

A couple years ago I really thought pop was moving in the right direction with Mumford And Sons, Black Keys, Phillip Phillips, Of Monsters And Men, the Lumineers, and the like getting radio play, but a recent listen to top 40 was really depressing. All kinds of what I refer to as "slow" rap. Just really boring. I never thought I'd see the day I'd say I really wish for a revival of stuff like "Jump Around", "Bust A Move", and "Pump Up The Jam", but the current stuff I heard completely lacks the energy of those songs.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  4. Brian Kelly

[QUOTE="Tanx, post: 15493864, member: 65918"
    I have no idea. All the American teens I know, other than a couple outliers, are happy with mainstream music as is. They are the industry's only concern, so I don't expect things to change anytime soon.[/QUOTE]

I teach and coach at a high school and I would say it is a lot more than a few outliers who are happy with mainstream music as is. Probably a good 20-25% either prefer older music or like the less mainstream current rock.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I teach and coach at a high school and I would say it is a lot more than a few outliers who are happy with mainstream music as is. Probably a good 20-25% either prefer older music or like the less mainstream current rock.[/QUOTE]
    It really depends on where you live. When we've discussed "the kids" before, it seems many people who live in and around NYC, Boston, LA, etc., know lots of teens with eclectic tastes. In suburban D.C., it's not so hip. I indoctrinate my own kids, of course, but other than that, I know only one high schooler who likes his dad's records, which are mostly along the lines of Dire Straits.

I hear there's a burgeoning punk revival in the city, which is cool, but I don't personally know any teens who are part of it. I suspect most of them live in D.C. proper.

Meanwhile, our friendly neighborhood record and used CD stores are populated by middle-aged guys every time I visit. That's more depressing to me than even the airwaves right now.

6. Brian Kelly

It really depends on where you live. When we've discussed "the kids" before, it seems many people who live in and around NYC, Boston, LA, etc., know lots of teens with eclectic tastes. In suburban D.C., it's not so hip. I indoctrinate my own kids, of course, but other than that, I know only one high schooler who likes his dad's records, which are mostly along the lines of Dire Straits.

I hear there's a burgeoning punk revival in the city, which is cool, but I don't personally know any teens who are part of it. I suspect most of them live in D.C. proper.

Meanwhile, our friendly neighborhood record and used CD stores are populated by middle-aged guys every time I visit. That's more depressing to me than even the airwaves right now.[/QUOTE]

I actually am from a rural area.
    One reason I think we have a larger group than most places that realizes there is a lot of good music out there that isn't on top 40 radio is that we have a great music program in our school, including a very talented orchestra. I think that group of kids gets more exposure to other stuff and is a bit more open to discovering what else is out there!

sixelsix and Tanx like this.
  7. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I actually am from a rural area.
    One reason I think we have a larger group than most places that realizes there is a lot of good music out there that isn't on top 40 radio is that we have a great music program in our school, including a very talented orchestra. I think that group of kids gets more exposure to other stuff and is a bit more open to discovering what else is out there![/QUOTE]
    That's great! Yet more proof of the importance of music education in the schools.

OK, we're relying on your kids to start that revival. ;)

8. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

These are the kinds of questions people ask who don't keep up with new music when they could be drowning in great stuff that fits their criteria.

troggy, Robert C, drasil and 3 others like this.
  9. Django

Django Forum Resident

Jacco Gardner's two albums are some quality baroque pop.

Have the stripes been disowned by the retro rock community since they toned down on the r&b sound?

10. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Out of touch for sure. Did you see that he said he didn't have a radio when told about satellite radio?

Robert C and roughdiamondnickel like this.
  11. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

You're not even paying attention to your own thread: people have already mentioned Ty Segall and Thee Oh Sees more than once, and there's also White Fence/Tim Presley, Mikal Cronin, Pond, Fuzz, Bleached, Doug Tuttle, and three-quarters of the bands on the Trouble In Mind and Burger Records rosters. There are literally dozens, if not hundreds, of current bands playing "Garage/stoner rock with pop touches." It's not our fault if you don't wanna know.

bzfgt and Robert C like this.
  12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Google?

13. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes, that is what I meant by a revival. I should've phrased it better. Right now it seems in the mainstream EDM and the like is all people really want, and when they want rock, it's usually new releases from old acts. I meant a new sort of garage sound that could be popular ala The Kinks, or a power pop sound ala The Kids Are Alright, or a Baroque Pop sound like Pet Sounds era Beach Boys or Between the Buttons era Stones. I do not foresee heavy rock ala Led Zeppelin having any commercial future, but I could see those sounds making a comeback if done in a modern way.

quakerparrot67 likes this.
  14. overdrivethree

overdrivethree Forum Resident

Here in Pittsburgh, we've enjoyed our share of baroque pop and garage revival in recent years. (We're home to Get Hip Recordings, as well.) I can tell you straight up, absolutely no one is thinking "mainstream success" when they're making this music. It's a self-contained scene, and the fans know where to find it and who the bands are (the fans are often friends or in the bands themselves).

troggy likes this.
  15. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Then you've probably also missed The Lemon Twigs, two teen brothers garnering mainstream attention (radio play and a performance on The Tonight Show, for example) for a debut album that is based primarily on the sound of '60s Nilsson and Something/Anything?, which is pretty baroque indeed.

drasil likes this.
  16. bamaaudio

bamaaudio Forum Resident

Wow. I certainly don't want a return to songs like that. I'd say we're in somewhat of a rap golden age with tip tier releases this year alone from Chance the Rapper, Kendrick Lamar, A Tribe Called Quest, Common, Kanye West, Frank Ocean, Death Grips, among others. I wouldn't change a thing right now.

17. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Listen to Little Steven's channel for a day or two and we'll talk. (Yeah, it's a satellite station, but satellite is mainstream nowadays).

18. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

Didn't you see they don't have a radio? It's not like this stuff is available freely online with a Google search.

19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

In other words you want new bands to do what old bands have already done and break into the mainstream.

Go listen to the Black Keys, they're probably as mainstream as you're going to get with that sound right now.

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:laugh:
    great post !!!

21. Billy Infinity

Billy Infinity Beloved aunt

22. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Actually it is: Shows 699-600 »

23. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

Here's some relatively recent Garage Rock and Baroque Pop.

Garage Rock

Baroque Pop
    Fleet Foxes - White Winter Hymnal [OFFICIAL VIDEO] »

24. Brian Kelly

And I don't like any of those people (or what I've heard of from them-which is Kayne, Kendrick Lamar, and Frank Ocean. Slobbering rap.

25. 200 Balloons

200 Balloons Forum Resident

Plenty of acts have mined and updated the sub-genres you mentioned over the last 15 years, but there simply isn't enough demand from adolescents/teens for repackaged boomer youth culture to spur a broader mainstream revival.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.