Genesis - early CD versions thread (Ver. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Black Elk, May 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

Looks like I've finally managed to locate a VG+ ATCO Sanyo pressing (matrix confirmed by seller) for 13.50 EUR including shipping. I won't believe it until I see it.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  2. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Yes, this is what I have. EAC values confirmed to be the same as the others.

The_Windmill and Ambassador like this.
  3. The_Windmill

The_Windmill Forum Resident

Sanyo had a plant in USA too?

4. kevin5brown

"Made in USA by Sanyo", or something like that. I guess so! :) [I'll try to remember to take a look at the disc tonight.]

I also have a Genesis Live, Sanyo Japan, that sounds really good. I'm actually curious if there are any other Genesis Sanyo CDs ...

5. kevin5brown

I remembered correctly! "Made in USA by Sanyo" is on the label, along the bottom. And in the matrix code is, "Manufactured by Sanyo".

6. The_Windmill

Sounds like it should have been "Made for USA by Sanyo".
    Not that it changes much. I just like details :)

7. kevin5brown

The_Windmill likes this.
  8. The_Windmill

9. grumpysparrow

grumpysparrow Well-Known Member

Finally got my very own W&W Sanyo pressing 5 days ago — it's the ATCO "Made in Japan by Sanyo" version (matrix: "CDSCD4005 A6C15A MANUFACTURED BY SANYO JAPAN"). Turns out the CD was actually in better condition than stated by seller, practically as new both disc and inserts, so I reckon I got a very good deal.

Sonically, though, and to be perfectly honest, I was expecting better. It does indeed sound better than the US WEA ATCO pressing, absolutely no question about that, but as of now, I still prefer the BT pressing — the latter has better low-end extension (deep bass, specially) and slightly less midbass (elevation). The Sanyo seems a bit boosted in the midrange too — when I crank up the volume, the midrange becomes rather bothersome. I think I might even prefer the Nimbus pressing too (!), which also seems to have better bass extension. The BT has that much needed slight bass-boost/correction the Nimbus needs, IMO, while retaining a very nice sparkling, yet inoffensive, top-end. The Sanyo, at times, seems to lack a bit of top end while being a bit too midcentric for my taste with an added slight mid-bass boost.

On a separate note, and after weeks and weeks of deliberation, I've finally come to the conclusion that the Nimbus version of ATTWT is better than the BT one. (so much for the grumpysparrow's credibility on that one!)

Front 242 Addict and Ambassador like this.
  10. The_Windmill

11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

12. Mazzeh

Mazzeh New Member

Hi there guys, I'm looking to get SEBTP and I have a shot at either getting the V/C DADC Austria or the V/C Nimbus. I have a silly question though...

I'm not quite sure what is meant by the V/C Nimbus having it's "absolute phase inverted" compared to the DADC Austria though. I've tried to search for an explanation, but I'm unfortunately not understanding it. Is absolute phase inversion a bad thing? Could someone please enlighten me? Thanks! :sigh:

13. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Not a silly question, it's pretty obscure stuff. :)
    If you look at the stereo waveforms for the V/C Nimbus, you will find that the peaks and valleys are upside-down compared with the waveforms of the DADC, for both channels. Positives and negatives are inverted, which means that the electric impulse that was commanding your speakers' cones to blow the air are now sucking the air, and vice-versa.
    It may or may not affect the sound you hear, depending on the music, your system and your ears.

If it was relative phase inversion (left channel being inverted to right channel on a same disc), it would sound obvious and awful, the sound would have no stable imaging; that's what is usually meant by 'out of phase'.

When I compared the two SEBTP I ended up prefering the V/C Nimbus. They are not that different; if I remember correctly, they are the same analog to digital transfer and almost the same mastering, except the Nimbus has unfiltered sub-bass, extends to 22kHz, and has its absolute phase inverted.
    Your mileage may vary.

14. Mazzeh

Mazzeh New Member

Plan9 - thank you very much for that explanation! I appreciate your time and effort. :)

Front 242 Addict and Plan9 like this.
  15. The_Windmill

Something I've always been curious about, maybe you're the right one to ask, @Plan9.
    Is there a way (visual analysis or software) to tell when an absolute phase is the "right" one? Without comparing I mean.
    In theory, a "right" wave should have the first curve going up and then to the bottom, but the very first audio information is usually so low in volume that you can't relly tell very the very first "bump" is...

Do you professionals have a way to check absolute phase at some phase of the process?

16. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Only by ear.

It might be somewhat confirmed by looking at how some sharp transients like snare hits or bass drum hits extend, but then again if the sound is manipulated in any way, it will not mean anything.

The_Windmill likes this.
  17. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover Thread Starter

Yes, you can use an asymmetrical pulse to check cabling, microphones, speakers, etc. (there are transmitter/receiver units made especially for this) to ensure that your system is in correct absolute phase (better to say absolute polarity). Not everyone does this, however.

The_Windmill likes this.
  18. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes, that works for recording.

The_Windmill likes this.
  19. LesPaul666

LesPaul666 Mr Markie - The Rock And Roll Snarkie

...And Then (9 years later and counting ;) I can't believe this this is still going!

20. ek1psu

ek1psu Forum Resident

Incredibly valuable thread. The information here was very helpful to me when I was replacing my DE versions last year.

A great big 'thank you' to all of the contributors to this thread! :edthumbs:

21. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I have the same, but it also says: "Made in the U.K." on the disc, just below Virgin Records.
    The matrix is 814 499-2 01 and the DR values correspond to this version: Album details - Dynamic Range Database » (100% the same)
    It's not on Discogs as far as I know...

22. stenway

stenway Forum Resident

albertop likes this.
  23. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

I've seen that, thanks for posting the link. It's exactly my disc, but the matrix is different. Mine is 814 499-2 01 (There might be a mistake on discogs?)

24. The_Windmill

unlikely. they are just different.
    We need the word of an expert here but I seem to remember some bluface discs were made in Germany but for the UK market and had Made in UK printed on them. Can someone confirm?

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  25. Hatchet Jack

Hatchet Jack Forum Resident

What's the "DE" mastering of W&W with more bass?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.