Favorite vintage or new FM tuner?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Daedalus, Apr 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

I love my old Technics ST -G90L FM/AM tuner still sounds fabulous. beats any modern tuner that I have auditioned better than the Yamaha CT7000 a very overated tuner. I listen in the UK to BBC 3 & Classic FM

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    Daedalus likes this.
  2. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Yes I'd be willing to sell it, shoot me a PM and I will send some pics.

3. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

The Magnum Dynalab is an interesting beast in that regard as it is an analog tuner with meters for mulitpath, tuning centring and signal strength but a digital readout for the station, all run with a nice old fashioned dial knob like analog tuners of yore.

4. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

How do you know when a tuner needs service? What are the symptoms?

5. Agitater

Agitater Forum Resident

It has trouble locking on to stations that weren't previously a problem.

The station frequency setting on the analog dial or digital readout is no longer accurate for some stations.

A stereo lock is suddenly hard to get for stations that weren't previously a problem.

All reception seems to be monaural.

One stereo channel or the other has become noisy with background hiss on stations that are normally clean.

One of the buttons or switches either doesn't work or generates noise when it's being used.

Scott in DC, The FRiNgE and Tullman like this.
  6. JBStephens

JBStephens I don't "like", "share", "tweet", or CARE. In Memoriam

Yes, my Akai is a digital tuner, but it has a knob with a flywheel turning the pot. Very analog "feel" to it. I'd only give it an "8" for sound quality (7 before modding) but for DX-ing I've never seen its equal.

Fiddlefye likes this.
  7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all..... Thread Starter

One of my buddies uses a Sansui AU series-number? -I'm not sure as I write this but it is the TOTL line model for that series. It has excellent sound and sensitivity. He has it connected to an AU 11000 integrated amp and uses a pair of Lascalas( circa 1960s) with new Crites crossovers.

9. misterdecibel

I only listen to one station, so my McIntosh MR77 is probably more than I need, but it's not going anywhere.

10. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

That dial is going to freeze up !!! :nyah:

11. misterdecibel

But apart from NPR, there's nothing worth listening to around here.

WHitese and Benzion like this.
  12. Fiddlefye

Fiddlefye Forum Resident

The MD is actually analog, just the readout is digital. All makes for very precise tuning. Very good for DX as well.

13. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

I have a few, but I'm partial to my Pioneer 9500 ll . I have an Accuphase T 105 that sounds nice too. I love the vintage look of the Pioneer and the amber lights though.

14. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Love that Marantz. It's a beauty.

15. gorangers

gorangers Forum Resident

Great looking tuner.

16. Standingstones

Standingstones Forum Resident

I recently purchased a near mint TU-717 that was gone over and aligned. It was eye opening how good this tuner sounded. I had a McIntosh MR85 that couldn't match the Sansui even if it wanted to.

Daedalus, riverrat and Benzion like this.
  17. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Tandberg 3001 tuner, one of the best consumer tuners ever built with stereo S/N of 92 db. My unit needs major servicing though ...

[​IMG]

William Bryant and Daedalus like this.
  18. gov

gov Forum Resident

both my marantz 2238b and Pioneer SX 1000TW both have phenomenal tuners...leads me to believe many systems made when FM listening was essential would do the trick...

GuildX700 likes this.
  19. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Just sat back and realized how many tuners I have in the house, I was surprised.

3 stand alone, Adcom GFT-555II, Pioneer Elite F91 & F93, 3 receivers, 2 vintage Realistic STA-90 & STA-2080, and a recent current model Yamaha RS-700BL, a small mock vintage table radio, a small portable multiband weather radio.

A total of 8 units that can receive FM that are in use. And I think there are a few more in the attic in storage.

Daedalus likes this.
  20. Benzion

Benzion "Cogito, ergo sum" Forum Resident

But you are a hoarder, mon cher!

GuildX700 likes this.
  21. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

It just kinda piles up, really I turn around and there it all is.:biglaugh:But it does all get used.

Benzion likes this.
  22. Scott in DC

Scott in DC Forum Resident

I also have a KLH Model 21 FM Radio. I still use it to listen to C-Span and NPR.

Scott

[​IMG]

gorangers, Daedalus and GuildX700 like this.
  23. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

Hmm, this reminds me that I have an old Magnavox table top AM/FM mono tube radio from grandpa in the attic, it needs tubes, has 2x4.5" speakers, nothing special but after seeing this I think I'd like to get it running again. Have to see what it needs for tubes. There we go, yet another radio for me, be nice in the kitchen next to the stove for cooking music. :agree::whistle::whistle::whistle::agree:

Daedalus likes this.
  24. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

FM sound from both my Sony STR-DA5400ES AVR & 27 year old Technics G9OL is excellent, FM tuners I have heard on latest Marantz, Yamaha etc AVRs is for me unlistenable

25. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

My current model Yamaha stereo receiver R-S700 which currently is still their top of the line stereo receiver has an excellent performing and sounding tuner, now how their AV receivers tuners perform I don't know if their better ones use the same tuner section as the R-S700 or not.

Daedalus likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.