Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene 3 released on 2/12/16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rich100, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

I think he mentioned he's got DVD?

Big Pasi likes this.
  2. Carlox

Carlox Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

3. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Any indecision whether to pre-order (Trilogy) or not has today dissipated after reading a post on another forum posted by a member who has recently interviewed JMJ.

Quote;
    Oh, by the way. All Oxygene albums have been remastered again for the new package, with an analogue approach (no loudness war!)
    and Jarre said he completely agreed with all the fans who have been complaining about the latest remasters.
    Jarre said they are awful, and that they were done by the record company and was out of his hands.

Source: posted today By “Elf” (Eleventh post on this page);
    http://www.zoolook.nl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=6622&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=180&sid=32fca4dd8f65e10900d346062014691a

Carlox, rich100 and formu_la like this.
  4. Yost

Yost “It’s only impossible until it’s not”

Not only the latest remaster are aweful, also Electronica 2 is more compressed than part 1. Was that also the record company? Despite everything, he is an important artist. So why not tell the company to stop messing up his music?

I'll wait with buying until I see the DR levels. I have the original Oxygène CD which sounds fine, and Oxygène 7-13 does sound okay too. I would really be surprised if the new remaster of O 7-13 increases in dynamic range in comparison with the original 1997 release.

5. klockwerk

klockwerk Forum Resident

You're not going to like the DR levels of O3.

6. Yost

Well, if it matches the recent concert in Amsterdam… that was very loud. :cop:

Do you have figures? There's nothing on the DR Database yet.

7. dobyblue

dobyblue Forum Resident

Ugh, very compressed...DR6.

Album details - Dynamic Range Database »

8. Yost

Well, than the quote by @Mbe wasn't correct, or Jean-Michel is really clueless. :realmad:

It's the same DR as the digital releases of Electronica 2. I bought that one on vinyl and did a needle drop. My turntable is currently broken, though. :shake:

Thanks for the heads up!

Mbe likes this.
  9. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

I apologise for the link and quote.

First the menacing ripples from “klockwerk” and now the tsunami of the actual DR numbers hits with an instantaneous sinking feeling.

I have a copy of the Trilogy CD set on the way (pre-order) whether it arrives later today or Monday not sure, but at this stage I feel a little disappointed.

A slight improvement (numbers) over the Electronica 2 CD release DR4 (must stay positive)
    http://dr.loudness-war.info/album/view/119396

[​IMG]

Think I'll go listen to Electronica 2 as it seems the most effective way prepare :)

Front 242 Addict and Yost like this.
  10. Yost

No need to, it's not your fault. :righton:

Well, DR6 is the album DR of the Electronica 1 CD. So that's the best preparation. And judging on the Oxygène 17 clip on YouTube it might sound listenable. Although I would worry about the remastering of the first 2 releases.

I have a new CD player for 2 months now, and yesterday I listened to my early (04 matrix) German Oxygène CD. It sounds very nice, and the fun part is that it's sounding better with every upgrade of my system. Also the original Oxygène 7-13 "holographic" cover CD sounds nice, while it was the start of "modern" mastering for the Jarre catalogue.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2016
    Front 242 Addict and Mbe like this.
  11. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

I've been on a JMJ kick recently. Saw him three times at Bluedot festival and in Oslo and Stockholm. My Oslo photo below. Was second row.

[​IMG]

Yesterday I met him at HMV for a signing in London so for my Oxygene Trilogy signed!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I enjoyed Oxygene 3 greatly and though all three albums are still heavily compressed they do sound better somehow.

12. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

I've found the recent digital download versions (especially the Qobuz hi-res files) to be very disappointing, but the 2014 CDs sound great to me.

13. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

The 2016 version of Oxygène supplied as part of the Trilogy (24/48 download from Qobuz) has better DR values than the 2015 remastered version.
    DR values for the individual tracks are: 9 7 8 8 10 10. Overall album DR is 8; album dynamic range = 14.1dB.

Oxygène 7-13 track DR values are: 7 7 7 7 6 7 7 (overall album DR is 7; album dynamic range = 8.9dB).
    Oxygène 3 track DR values are: 5 5 5 5 6 5 5 (overall album DR is 5; album dynamic range = 10.4dB).

The_Windmill likes this.
  14. melkor_morgoth

melkor_morgoth The Real Toe

Meaning DR values for the 24/48 Qobuz release are higher than the previous year's 24/48 Qobuz release?

15. Robert Goodison

Robert Goodison Never, ever, bloody anything ever!

For the first album, yes.
    I purchased last year's version. DR values from that particular release are: 7 5 6 5 6 6.
    Compared to this years release: 9 7 8 8 10 10 - so a significant improvement this year.
    It also sounds better - so I've removed the older version, and replaced with the Trilogy version.
    I also have the MFSL UDCD 613 release - which I'm also keeping.

The only version of Oxygène 7-13 I have is part of the 30th anniversary double-header CD, 'Complete Oxygène'.
    DR values for that release for Oxygène 7-13 are: 8 7 8 7 7 6 7 - so roughly the same really for the 24/48 2016 release as part of the Oxygène Trilogy.

melkor_morgoth likes this.
  16. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

My first thought about the trilogy remastering by Dave Danwater.

The Oxygene (1) he did in 2014 is more compressed than from the trilogy. The trilogy is a LITTLE LESS compressed, but he boosted the treble. Version (1) was reworked.
    The Oxygene (2) he did the same thing, boosting the treble. But if you compare Oxygene 7-13 to (2) version, 7-13 it has more bass and waveforms have more peaks.
    The Oxygene (3) is pretty the much the standard scheme Danwater was doing in the latter reissues from 2014/2015. It's not that bad with Oxygene, but due to the fact that Oxygene 3 is much more minimalist than the previous 2 editions of the trilogy, the mastering is OK for today standards. It's not like he did with Chronology, destroying it completely. But it's not audiophile like the old releases on CD. I still think MFSL is pretty freaking overrated - they removed a great deal of treble that even the original french vinyl have (which was supposed to be the audiophile master copy).

17. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Very little discussion on the new album here. Checking it out on Spotify now. Might report back.

18. LarsO

LarsO Forum Resident

Well. The low DR rating for Oxygene 3 might actually be a bit due to the nature of the music. A lot of up front synth "paint" that seems to be as loud as the melody lines.

Jarre is good for some headphones/relaxing under a blanket listening now and then and this one is no exception. I think it has less signature melodies than the previous two though...

19. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

I think that Oxygene Remaster from 2014 is better than the Trilogy's. I compared the two of them. Bass has been removed and treble/medium has been boosted on the Trilogy.
    But the atrocity lies in brand new "Oxygene 2 Album". Mediums and treble boosted, with bass removed. What happens is that this record was already pretty much compressed. From what I have heard on a copy (and I might have to confirm this), Oxygene Part 8 has a HUGE FLAW from treble collapse at 3:22 and 3:32. (Nice work Dan. ) Don't remaster what is just already perfect, for God's sake!
    So you can surely perceive as the two new versions of O1 and O2 as very bright.
    The funny thing is that O3 did not follow the same path. The percussion is not so bright and loudness was not that exaggerated.

So the better decision is...
    1) Keep Oxygene 7-13 French CD as your choice.
    2) Do not go for the trilogy unless you are interested in the packaging. Go only for the Oxygene 3 CD Album stand-alone.
    3) There are at least 6 "official" masters for Oxygene 76:
    • The 1976 French LP
    • The 1983 CD Issue.
    • The 1989 West Germany CD reissue.
    • The 1992 Remaster from Sony Masterdisk.
    • The MFSL Remaster.
    • The 2014 Remaster.
    Making a decision within the 6 different and subtle masters are difficult. It will take effort.
    The 2014 remaster boost the bass and treble and a little compression makes it sound nicer but it is also fatiguing if you are used to the old version.
    The MFSL Remaster cuts of treble too much, more than vinyl. Over-rated copy. Nonsense. They want to reach "analogue" sound, and the vinyl is much brighter. Confused!
    The 1992 Remaster from Sony Masterdisk boosts treble and medium, this is brighter than the 1989 pressing.
    The 1983 CD issue is the closest to the Analog French LP from 1976. (This CD has a flaw on track 3, volume raise.)
    The 1989 CD has also the same flaw on track 3, volume raise, but more subtle.

New Master Recording, I won't even count here as I am from the side which believes this is not a new mix. It's totally the same master with further enhancements.

Further comments on these 6 pressings will be made a few days, because I will analyze them.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  20. Yost

The 1992 remaster you mention, is actually the 1997 remaster. The New Master Recording is neither a new mix or a new master of the original album – Jarre claims it's a completely new recording (as the name suggests). I agree with you it's not very interesting, but the real gem is on the New Master Recordings accompanying DVD. The live version in that disc adds 3 new parts to the original album, which really makes it gel much better. It's my goto-version of Oxygène since it's release.

LarsO likes this.
  21. Yost

Last week I started using Apple Music and my first feel good moment is that I can listen to Oxygène 3 "for free" now.

What I like: he actually managed to give this album its own signature sound. Just like Oxygène 7-13 didn't sound like Oxygène, the new album doesn't sound like it's 2 predecessors. I hear sounds from the original Oxygène, and from the Equinoxe and Chronologie era, but they're mostly accents in a definitive personal sound palette. And it's a likeable sound, a relaxed sound, with modern, evolving lead sounds (when present, read on…).

I also like Oxygène 14, 17 and 18. Parts 14 and 17 are the most dynamic and melodic of the bunch, while 18 has a lead sound that I somehow connect to. BTW, the album version of Oxygène 17 is a bit longer than the single/video version and it improves the track IMHO.

What I don't like: I never liked finding Jarre albums being filed under "ambient", but most of the tracks on O3 quite fit that description. Musically there isn't much happening during parts 15, 16, 19 and 20. The undynamic mastering doesn't help either. Sometimes a kind of lead melody seems to emerge from the tracks, but it's sounding so bland and squashed in the background that it's not standing out. It's just elevator music that no one can object to.

I'll be listening for sometime now and maybe my opinion will change. But my first impression isn't really that positive. Personally I liked the Electronica albums much better.

raphph likes this.
  22. Bruno Republic

Bruno Republic Forum Resident

It's definitely a different mix (slightly different instrument levels, reverb on parts that weren't there before, part 3 different ending, etc.) but there's no way it's a completely new recording. Jarre *must* have used the original multis, because there are a bunch of random VCS3 effects (an instrument famous for never making the exact same noise twice), and they are identical on the "New Master Recording".

Agreed the CD is a bit pointless; my understanding is Jarre made it for business reasons, not artistic ones. And yes, the DVD is the real treat.

Yost and Big Pasi like this.
  23. Mbe

Mbe Forum Resident

Still have not received my copy yet (so much for pre-orders) but having read the reviews so far I’m not really looking forward to the disappointment that may follow.
    Listened to an 80s dreyfus / Polydor CD twice last night and wondered how could it be possible to tarnish such a classic.
    Tomorrow I intend to spin my only vinyl copy a 1970s Polydor which I took to many a get-together as The essential end of party Lp.
    (Still) Hopeful that it arrives tomorrow along with some (lots of) Tangerine Dream as back up, just in case :)

Not the end of the world.

24. krafty

krafty Forum Resident

Oh really? I didn't know that. So... The 1992 FDM 36140-2, is the same as 1997 repress. Funny. The 1992 doesn't mention anywhere as a remaster, but a repress on Discogs. So the Epic reissue/remaster is the same again, as 1997 Masterdisk, that is for sure. But I'm trying to get the 1992 copy just to check this.

Now the New Master Recording, I have my doubts whether it's the same mix or not. To me, the excess of reverberation, different levels and added enhancements are evidences of a base already done and that base being the original multi-tracks. It has not been re-recorded. So yes, it doesn't seem like a New Master Recording. The variations, to me, are Jarre's known fillers... yes we know he has a couple of them on each album. Nevertheless I still prefer the original Polydor Circa 1989 Red Logo CD over all others. I have the W. Germany Repress from 1989 CD no logo colours, and I can guess that this one and the rest are flat transfers.

Oxygene 3, has less melody than the previous two.

Part 14 kind of starts to excite but never reaches its goal.
    Part 15 is just a continuation of the 3 chord loop (!!!) piece from 14. Clever idea was the percussion going alone twice and the ending.
    Part 16 still keeps the mood of 14 & 15. There is, finally, a melody variation, but by this point you wonder you're starting to miss melodies.
    Part 17 is the hit. It's the track that got the record passed by the Record Label. It's the track that got the "Ok, you're going to get this record out."
    Part 18 is as minimalist as it can be. It's happy but displaced, in my opinion.
    Part 19 you may feel a bit angry because the album is reaching its end and you haven't heard anything better than Part 17.
    Part 20 is minimalist but has some kind of nice elaborations: It's starts with that horror organ and the pitch effect reminds me of Kraftwerk's Abzug. Then we have a sense of some previous song being played backwards but I checked, it's nothing from previous records. The following moment we have Oxygene 6 emerging for a minute. This is the moment that you think the album failed melodically. Then we enter the last chapter of Oxygene era, very minimalist chords, like a soundtrack - it is kind of emotional and it ends with happiness chords.

But oh yes, this album could have been much better if delayed to 2017. The minimalist approach was taken too far. Not even Oxygene 76 is that minimal.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
    pantofis, Yost and Big Pasi like this.
  25. Yost

What I meant to say is that I think you got the date wrong, there is no Sony remaster from 1992. The Sony remasters are from 1997. I'm unaware of a French Sony remaster from 1992. Ah, I see it on Discogs now. It's distributed by Sony, but it's still a Dreyfus release pressed by MPO, just like the ones before. The 1991 release is tagged as a remaster, btw. I don't know these French releases, so I have no idea what they sound like.

Back to O3, I think the chords in O20 after the O6 part are from O17. It's the same trick he did with Equinoxe 5 and 8.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.