Led Zeppelin's Untitled on CD: a blind listening test

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by grandegi, Nov 23, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandegi

grandegi Blind test maniac Thread Starter

Rne and mikedifr0923 like this.
  2. mikedifr0923

mikedifr0923 Forum Resident

Awesome. Perfect timing as I am looking to get zeppelin, since all I have is the crop circles box, and this will help me figure out which versions to seek out

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
    grandegi likes this.
  3. grandegi

Now I know where Iron Maiden took the intro of their song... thank you!

Holy Diver likes this.
  4. grandegi

And some other polls were performed in the past few weeks:

5. DiabloG

DiabloG City Pop, Rock, and anything 80s til I die

I can provide some samples from Diament's PG. If there are any other Zep samples you might need, then I probably have them.

grandegi likes this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

I lost a question on a board game last night that asked "which rock band's 2nd through 4th albums were named simply using the band name and II-IV." :sigh:

7. S. P. Honeybunch

S. P. Honeybunch Presidente de Kokomo, Endless Mikelovemoney

The warmth prize goes to the Marino fourth album CDs.

grandegi and Mr_Vinyl like this.
  8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

What I do not understand is why the only Digital mastering in which the drums sound correct for Levee [my favorite Zepp track and one of my top 3 overall favorite rock tracks] are on the original Sidore disc? Combining the tracks from the Sidore and Marino is what I did until I decided to go only with vinyl rips for the best sound. In my opinion the crown jewel of the Zepp catalog has never sounded good in the digital realm.

grandegi likes this.
  9. dosjam

dosjam Forum Resident

I too got fooled. Just to reiterate what grandegi noted, how does the mastering style flip for just this recording? Strange.

grandegi likes this.
  10. DiabloG

Speaking of Sidore's mastering, I snagged a 38XP of IV with a green West German Target disc and a gold OBI at the flea market today. How rare is this CD?

Ham Sandwich likes this.
  11. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Wow, very surprising results. I have the Marino and Davis and always assumed the Marino would be more harsh or bright by comparison. Doesn't appear to be the case.

(I make no assertions, I only did a cursory side by side listen moments ago, but this does give me pause to listen more closely to these 2 discs.)

grandegi likes this.
  12. HarrySmith

HarrySmith Forum Resident

I've a suspicion that LZIV was used as the baseline for the mastering of the Boxsets in 1990, in order to conform all the tracks from each album to a consistent overall sound - and then, of course, those same track masterings were recompiled into the later individual album releases. With the Diament and Davis versions they could approach each album individually and master to each ones strengths without worrying too much how they sat with the rest of the catalogue. Makes sense to me, anyway.

luckyno13 likes this.
  13. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

Pretty damn rare. Great find. I believe that is the first West German pressing of IV. It was made for the Japanese market, hence the gold obi.

Does it look like this?

[​IMG]

14. DiabloG

Yep, that's the one :agree:

15. Chooke

Chooke Forum Resident

16. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

17. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

This is very interesting for me. The only version of this album I have is the Sidore mastering on CD. It's the version I've had since the late 80s. I liked Sample A, but voted for Sample C as being better for headphone listening with my headphone gear. So I've just ordered a used copy of the Page/Marino mastering on CD. Very curious now to hear that mastering for the full album on headphones.

Getting the center of the imaging to fill in and have depth on headphones is something that I consider partly due to the AD converter used and other associated studio gear used. If the AD converter doesn't do that style of center imaging and depth then no amount of EQ fiddling and other fiddling will get it to happen well.

I wonder what AD converter Page and Marino were using to do the transfer?

18. Sentient Six

Sentient Six Forum Resident

I still want the sound studios mix of the whole album. I really thought the version on CD2 of Stairway was a revelation.

19. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Once again, I picked the Marino, which shocks me. Given that I own both crop circles boxes, I guess I bought the Davis remaster for the cover. :oops: (I picked the Marino sample for Presence, too.)

It didn't surprise me that I didn't like the sound of Sample A. I never liked the Sidore and still don't.

grandegi likes this.
  20. S. P. Honeybunch

The EQ is probably a bigger factor than the converters.

Electric Warrior likes this.
  21. grandegi

I agree. The question is: why didn't Marino apply to IV the same EQ he applied to the remaining albums (or most of them)?

Electric Warrior likes this.
  22. grandegi

I'll PM you, thank you.

23. grandegi

Interesting. If this is the case (and it could be), then all the Marino individual albums simply can't work (in most cases, except on systems which are tame in the midrange). With the exception of IV of course.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  24. S. P. Honeybunch

For the second album, I hear the treble being much more exaggerated on the Davis CD than the midrange on the Marino CD.

25. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Senior Member

To me, Sandy Denny on The Battle of Evermore sounds more natural on the Sidore than she does on the Marino. That is another reason I prefer the original.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.