Bruno Mars Unveils "24k Magic" from upcoming third album (11/18/2016)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pghmusiclover, Oct 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Doesn't bother me. And the kids? They've heard it all before. they hear that stuff when they watch movies, or at school.

D-rock and JohnnyQuest like this.
  2. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

Exactly. It's nothing compared to what goes on social media. This would've been a issue in the 50's, but definitely not 2016.

zebop, D-rock and Grant like this.
  3. RoyalScam

RoyalScam Luckless Pedestrian

Really? We're abhorred at THOSE lyrics?! Oh...kay...

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  4. Chris C

Chris C Music was my first love and it will be my last!

Guys, I get it, it's not like a Kanye West lyric, far from it, but Bruno can still be hip, without having to lyrically go that route, right?

Mooserfan likes this.
  5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I'm not appalled by the lyrics, but seeing as Bruno kind of styled himself as MJ up to now, I was a little disappointed.

6. Grant

As far as his creative goal was concerned, he probably had to. Anyway, most of his audience, and hip-hop audiences in general, are not put out by such language. It's probably a generational thing. Anyone who grew up in the rap age is accustomed to hearing that language. If you are offended, this album probably isn't for you.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  7. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

I'm really enjoying this album. Of course it isn't for everyone, or at least not the way Unorthodox was; you have to love that r&b 80's vibe, meaning Shalamar, Kool & The Gang and The Time, but also the new jack swing era (Toni, Toni, Tone comes t0 mind)
    Versace in the floor is my current kick

seaisletim, Naughty Chord and Grant like this.
  8. Grant

Even "Unorthodox Jukebox" had a parental warning tag on it. No one says anything about that.

9. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

R&b has always been a lot about desire.

10. leshafunk

leshafunk Forum Resident

I'd say the album is nice follow-up for Uptown Funk song.
    Really like it, and appreciate the short running time - we get less filler with that.

Speaking about the offended kids, isn't it "old fart" music for them? How many kids will dig this record, presumed there are Justin Bieber and Taylor Swift out there?

Grant likes this.
  11. Grant

Not at all! Retro R&B is very popular among the millennials.

12. JohnnyQuest

JohnnyQuest Forum Resident

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

OMG I have just seen this for sale in the supermarket, that awful cover!!!!
    Whatever was he thinking...

14. Grant

I like the cover. It's different from the pack, and it stands out. The whole point is to get your product noticed.

I am a member of AlbumArtExchange and look at the new submissions every day. I see a certain sameness in most of the new music covers. Most are a bit too artsy with little imagination or originality. The Bruno Mars cover stands out. The art department, or Bruno, did their job.

JohnnyQuest likes this.
  15. zen

zen Senior Member

Yeah it looks absurd. As in: arousing amusement; ridiculous.

I always thought that was the job of...the music.

Nostaljack and Bobby Morrow like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I like the sound of that website, but it isn't available in my country, so it says.

17. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member Thread Starter

18. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

19. Grant

No. The cover sells the music. Most buyers are casual. If the potential customer isn't too familiar with the artist's repertoire, they often rely on the cover. And, the cover is designed to appeal to the audience of the music in question. You wouldn't use an Andy Warhol cover on a Ray Conniff album.

videoman likes this.
  20. Grant

It used to be blocked in the U.K.. Since they installed software a few months ago, that may have changed.

21. SITKOL'76

SITKOL'76 Forum Resident

That's what I Like is officially the next single and is flying up the charts.

D-rock likes this.
  22. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

That's awesome!

Grant and seaisletim like this.
  23. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

It looks great right next to Keith Sweat-Make it Last Forever!

24. Grant

I've long since burned out on the album. I listened to it a lot, but it's just a fun album.

25. YMC4

YMC4 EVthing or Nothing

i pulled this out for the 1st time in few months and thinking...what happen to all the pop hooks he was so good at with 1st 2 albums ??
    well...looking at the credit, think i finally know where it went. Bruno was part of this songwriting/production team with 2 friends from the beginning (struggling, starving days).
    one was white, one was black and Bruno being neither, perhaps was the main reason why they were able to create such genre mixing universal type sound that made him so popular.

with this album however, one guy (Ari Levine) is no longer listed in any of the credit (writing or production) and the team name has even changed from 'The Smeezingtons' to 'Shampoo Press & Curl'.
    now judging by the direction of this album, we won't even have to look up which guy Levine was...not saying that's crucial but why limit yourself with less dimension when you don't have to ??
    most artists can't pull it off (multi-dimension) due to lack of talent but Bruno has certainly shown that he could so why...

he hasn't developed lyrically as i hoped he would by now (still stuck in the short guy bravado ~)...i don't know, i'm still disappointed with this album...how is it holding up for you guys ??

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.