Neil Young Official Release Series 8.5-12 pre-order

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Sep 30, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

Yeah, very happy I decided to order when I did!
    I'd gone back and forth the last couple of days - wait for the CDs? Isn't this a little expensive? Do I even need this?!
    But with the previous box not even out on CD yet, plus I only know two of these albums and lastly the 10% off, I finally pulled the trigger!

FourWalledWorld likes this.
  2. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

I'm in the same boat as you, I didn't buy 1-4, ugh!

3. Subvet

Subvet Forum Resident

Same here. I did get 1-4 separately and I'm currently waiting on the 8.5-12 set I ordered from SoundStageDirect.

4. count.d

count.d Senior Member

I have a sealed 1-4 vinyl boxset that I bought to sell one day. Don't know when I'll sell it though.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I got my box yesterday from Elusive Disc. It's not numbered of course. It did come with the bubble wrap inside the box so no seam splits. All of my LPs came in poly-lined sleeves too despite some reports of only Comes A Time being in a poly-lined sleeve. The LPs all look perfect and seem to be very flat. I find the sleeves to be pretty reasonable reproductions of the originals.

I'm having to clean these all my old fashioned way, with the VPI 16.5 (my Audio Desk is out for repair after three years of flawless performance), so all I've played so far is American Stars N Bars but it sounds great and the vinyl is perfect. I'm very satisfied thus far.

6. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Given that it's called 'The Original Release Series', is it possible that they're only releasing albums that originally came out on vinyl?
    I hope not, I'm hoping to get every one of his albums in this format.
    Does anyone know when Neil's albums switched from being released on vinyl to CD? Sometime around the Life album maybe?

7. melstapler

melstapler Reissue Activist

Great news indeed! Hopefully the 8-tracks will also be released individually. ;)

8. teag

teag Forum Resident

I have Freedom and Ragged Glory on vinyl. So it wasn't just a ceedee release.

9. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

...also, wasn't everything up until now available on vinyl (except Harvest Moon which did have a German lp iaw discogs).
    I had Mirror Ball, Sleeps With Angels, Broken Arrow, Are You Passionate, and Year Of The Horse on vinyl. Kept Freedom, but would like a reissue on that. Interested to hear how these 9, 10, and 11's compare to originals...hoping they sell separately soon.

Syscrusher likes this.
  10. David P. Hill

David P. Hill Forum Resident

Just ordered my Series 8.5-12 tonight at NY Store. Will receive it in a couple of days. I wanted the limited numbered one, go along with my Series 5-8.

11. Syscrusher

Syscrusher Forum Resident

Wow I'd love to have all those on vinyl!
    I do have Freedom, but were all of those original releases or reissues?

12. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

These LPs are all sounding very good but so far I think Comes A Time and Rust Never Sleeps are the best. I don't remember the originals sounding quite this good.

scottp, polchik, bigal00769 and 2 others like this.
  13. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

Original releases.

14. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I agree the Raven is a nice looking table. Take a look at Turntable's system on his profile page though. Great stuff! Personally, the P3 and P10 tables are more lust inspiring to me. Even Fremer should be jealous.

15. bonjo

bonjo Forum Resident

I agree they sound great, but my copy of Comes A Time is off-center on side 1. It's really noticeable with the acoustic guitar.

16. DPC

DPC Forum Resident

Yes, they were all original...I just honestly did not listen to them that often and I have the ceedees (other than YOTH), which sound very good. The vinyl did move quickly on Discogs.
    I really really like 1-8 of these NY reissues (my combination of early originals and represses are long since retired), and may go ahead and order the new set, even though I'm lukewarm on 8.5 and 12.

17. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

I am particularly interested in the Comes a Time reissue. The original copies with the paste-over back cover to replace the original tracklistings with the one we all came to know sound eerily good...wondering how this new issue stacks up for someone who has both?

18. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

i got my box yesterday. split seams on every frickin' record on the bottom of the jacket. all the records came with poly lined inner sleeves but i had to throw all but one of them away because they had 3 split seams! this thing really moved around in it's box during transit. now the good news. i've played all but "live rust" and everything is damn near perfect. flat, no warps, and zero defects, EXCEPT the previously mentioned side one of "comes a time" being pressed off center. i can live with that. everything sounds excellent.

i briefly considered sending this back for replacement due to the split seams, but i'd probably just get another one like it, and i got this set for about 95 bucks shipped so i'm just going to live with the imperfections.

19. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Strange , only Comes A Time should have a poly lined sleeve. Rest come in the printed sleeves so need lining with Nagaoka or similar sleeve. Had slight seam split on Live Rust inners, otherwise fine. These are very nice pressings but forgot music isn't up to the earlier stuff. I hope they next skip to This Notes For You, Freedom etc for the next box.

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

There appears to be a pattern of EU/UK buyers getting the printed sleeves and US buyers getting the poly sleeves.

21. rpd

rpd Senior Member

My box and LP's all arrived in great shape. I also think they sound fantastic so far...

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

So US boxes are missing the lyrics/credits to some titles?

23. Kevin j

Kevin j The 5th 99

nope, they're in there too, but the records are in poly sleeves.

24. matt79rome89

matt79rome89 Forum Resident

Just to reiterate, yes US gets both, just like the first two sets.

25. Paul b

Paul b Forum Resident

Awaiting my set to arrive soon and listen then.
    As for which Neil has previously been released on vinyl, .......well........I think every new and performance release (except for Archives1 with Live Riverboat) is available on vinyl from somewhere in the world. I believe I have every one, even Lucky Thirteen on LP. Of them all, Ragged Glory would be a nice one to have spread across 2LPs. Sound is better on the German copy compared to the USA, but is still squished onto one LP.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.