The Nice: Ars Longa Vita Brevis US vs. UK Versions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AidanB, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident Thread Starter

I've been thinking about getting this album on vinyl, but I was wondering if anyone who's heard it prefers the US version, that has America on it, or the UK version, that has something else? I even have a handy-dandy poll to make things easier.

Platterpus likes this.
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

The only difference between the UK and US pressings is the addition of the track America on the US version. Besides that, there are no other differences as far as I know. It was said by someone here a while back that the UK and US LPs have other differences as far as the actual mix of the album. With all The Nice material I have, I have never been able to find any of these mix differences. Now I'm talking CDs here so if there is any mix differences between the UK and US vinyl LP mixes than that's a different story and I would be curious to know about these supposed differences.

Yes, the US version is my preferred since it tacks on America before the start of the program. I have the US 1992 SMSP CD. The thing I have always wondered about is why Happy Freuds was only mixed to mono and never a stereo version? If the tapes exist I would love to hear a remix of this song in stereo. Plus the first album should get a mono reissue on CD/LP.

3. Joe N

Joe N Forum Resident

"America" is essential and one of the Nice's best recordings. That makes the U.S. version an easy choice. As the previous poster said, I don't think there are any other differences between the two.

4. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

UK America is an overrated item in their catalogue too much made of it when there was much better elswhere

5. SquaRoots

SquaRoots The North Star Grassman

I found this US copy on Columbia Special Products, P11634.
    I'm aware of the fact that side 2 consists of one composition, but here side 1 is unbanded too i.e. it visually has no separate songs and looks like one continuous track.
    The pressing process appears to have been rather a rough job, as the record has many little dents and bumps.
    Might this be a counterfeit or just a very Special Columbia Product?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2017
  6. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I don't know about the US and UK differences as I only have this as part of the excellent "Here Come The Nice" box set.

The Nice - Here Come The Nice-The Immediate Anthology

I think the title suite is a real hodge podge of ideas thrust together, but nevertheless great fun. It must must have been quite bold back in 1968 and I can't imagine many pop/rock artists releasing something like it today. So, even if it isn't entirely successful, kudos to Keith and the boys for giving it a go. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.