Your first and last concerts (Second Run)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by badsneakers, Jul 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Elizabeth M

Elizabeth M Going Nowhere Fast

Went to New Orleans Jazz and Heritage Festival starting in 1973

As for concerts, first was George Harrison/Ravi Shankar/Billy Preston, 1974, Baton Rouge, LA

Most recent, Brian Wilson, Jackson MS April 2016
    (will see him again this Saturday in Bossier City, LA)

2. Bigbudukks

Bigbudukks Older, but no wiser.

First rock and roll concert: Flash, Robinson High School, Fairfax, VA summer 1972
    Last: The Moody Blues 2003?

3. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

First one (i think) - Count Basie supported by Joe Pass in London oct 1980 (?). My dad took me, I was 12. Also saw the MJQ and Miles with him.
    Last one - Brian Wilson, Colston Hall Bristol a couple of months ago. Took my kids.
    or was it CW Stoneking at the Thekla ? Anyway, they were all excellent.

4. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Earliest - Honeycombs, The Shanes, Hep Stars and Lollipops...all 1965 in Luleå and Piteå, northern Sweden. Don't remember the exact timeline though.
    Last so far - Led Zeppelin in Stockholm 1974. Seen local acts after that but non worth mentioning here.

5. MONOLOVER

MONOLOVER Forum Resident

Earliest - Honeycombs, The Shanes, Hep Stars and Lollipops...all 1965 in Luleå and Piteå, northern Sweden. Don't remember the exact timeline though.
    Last big one so far - Led Zeppelin in Stockholm 1974. Seen local acts after that but non worth mentioning here.

6. bluesbreaker1962

bluesbreaker1962 Forum Resident

Stranglers and Peter Gabriel Battersea Park, London, 1978
    Jeff Beck and Van Morrison O2 London, 2016

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

First: Michael Jackson, Sydney Australia, 1988 (won free tickets on the radio)

Most Recent ('last' seems too final!): Ghost, Kings Theater Brooklyn NY, November 2016

Best Ever: Metallica, Webster Hall fan-club show, New York City, November 2016

8. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Lionel Richie - Hartford Civic Center

Dean Ween Group - Wilma Theater

9. vivatones

vivatones Forum Resident

First: Gene Autry, Memorial Auditorium, Chattanooga, Tennessee -- December 5, 1952
    Last: Jason Vieaux/Tessa Lark, Hunter Art Gallery, Chattanooga, Tennessee -- November 29, 2016

10. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

First rock show: Foreigner/Loverboy/Scorpions/Iron Maiden - Anaheim Stadium, July 1982. I was 11. God bless my Mom for taking me .. and she had fun too!

Last: Anderson/Wakeman/Rabin at the Grove in Anaheim... right across the parking lot from the stadium, as it turns out! :laugh: A wonderful show.

11. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

First: Janis Joplin, Dec. 12th, 1969 @ MSG. Her last show of the 60's. Paul Butterfield opened, and Johnny Winter was the guest appearance.
    Last: Stevie Nicks, Sept., 2012

12. BLUESJAZZMAN

BLUESJAZZMAN I Love Blues, Jazz, Rock, My Son & Honest People

MJ 1992
    Jeff Beck 2014

13. maxnix

maxnix Forum Resident

Canned Heat and The Byrds - 1971
    Graham Parker/Brinsley Schwartz - 2016

14. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

First: 1973. Summer Jam, Watkins Glen NY. Grateful Dead, Allman Brothers, The Band. I was 12 years old and lived about 30 miles away. A friend had an extra ticket and an older brother or cousin took us. Not conceivable under current notions of child supervision, to say the least. I have almost no memory of it, other than the fact that I got (extremely) stoned for the first time and that some of the concert-goers smashed up the portajohns for firewood (that's how long ago it was -- they were made of wood). For some pot-addled reason this really distressed me. There were more than half a million people there, so we were miles from the stage. I remember absolutely nothing about any performance by any of these three legendary acts.

Last: October 2016. Lake Street Dive, Philadelphia (Union Transfer). Their final show on their most recent tour. They were great, as usual. Unlike the Glen, it was a relatively intimate but responsive crowd of about 1,000, and I heard every note of the show.

tvstrategies likes this.
  15. big sciota

big sciota Forum Resident

First-Creedence Clearwater Revival 1971
    Last-Sam Bush September 2016

16. Hundazir Strabehn

Hundazir Strabehn Kobaïan spoken here

First - Roxy Music supported by Sharks and Lloyd Watson Edinburgh Odeon April 1973
    Last - Magma - l'Etage, Rennes November 2016

17. paulieb00

paulieb00 Senior Member

Heart w/ Sanford Townsend Band - Civic Center, Huntington WV Sept. 1977, only $5.25. The first concert in the new Civic Center. It was supposed to be Elvis but he died just before. I had a ticket but returned it for a refund.

Savages w/ Head Wound City - High Noon Saloon, Madison WI May 2016

18. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Thinking of going on 1/2/17 to see this trio. My next show tomorrow is with Mary on guitar (with Fred Frith & Ches Smith) plus seeing Tom Rainey's trio with Mary on 12/30/16.

Would therefore be seeing the *great* Mary Halvorsen 3 times within a month!!! And yes, she is one the greatest guitarists I have seen/heard in any genre ever.

ConnieGuitar likes this.
  19. Dahabenzapple

Dahabenzapple Forum Resident

Oh / first concert ever?

Either Yes in the round late 70's or maybe Genesis Duke tour?!?!

It's all a fog, really

Last show/concert wasn't very good so the one before that was Marty Ehrlich in a trio with Michael Formanek & Tomas Fujiwara who were joined for the second of two 25 minute pieces by the wonderous Nicole Mitchell on flute. It was on 11/11/16.

20. Madness

Madness "Hate is much too great a burden to bear."

AC/DC Back in Black Fabulous Forum Inglewood California

Rush R40 Jiffy Lube Live Bristow Virginia

21. carbonfiberone

carbonfiberone Forum Resident

Beatles Colosseum in Seattle

Jeff Beck Woodland Park Zoo in Seattle

22. VU Master

VU Master Senior Member

First - believe it or not, the Beatles at Candlestick Park. My parents took me.
    Most recent - Dr. John / Allen Toussaint Tribute at the the Hollywood Bowl.

oneslip17 likes this.
  23. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

Carl Perkins, White City Amusement Park stage Shrewsbury, Massachusetts, summer 1955, 05 '56 > Carl was by himself lyp-syncing to his 45's
    Brain Wilson, Pet Sounds Tour, Tanglewood, Lennox, Massachusetts, June 2016

24. My first was Eagles in 1979, my last was Incubus/Deftones 2015.

25. riskylogic

riskylogic Forum Resident

First: I went to a bunch of concerts in NYC in late 72 and early 73. With a little internet sleuthing, I figure the first was Santana on Oct 30. Zappa was a week later.

Last one was Steve Hackett in Birmingham, also on Oct 30 (2015). Had to leave in the middle of the Genesis set to catch the last train back to Oxford.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.