Morrissey cancelled a gig onstage the other night...

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by raphph, Nov 18, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Except that he is unemployable as a recording artist, no label will sign him due to his history....

Man at C&A and GodShifter like this.
  2. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

Butcher.......

izgoblin likes this.
  3. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

He's done a LOT of touring over the past few years and has greatly improved his track record with very few cancellations. Look at his touring schedule. All of the dates are available at Morrissey Solo. Also, this is his life's work. The suggestion that he just doesn't care or would rather be doing something else is ridiculous.

Paulwalrus, Fullbug, Mr Sam and 3 others like this.
  4. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Not ridiculous at all, Morrissey's love of money is well known, he wouldn't be the first artist to be in it only for the money.

Fullbug, LSMark and GodShifter like this.
  5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

If he was only in it for the money, a Smiths reunion would have happened years ago.

6. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

The music of The Smiths is sacred ground.

The musical musings of solo Morrissey? Significantly less so.

It's obvious what's going on here:

Morrissey's main source of income is derived from touring, he probably abhors being on the road, yet is unable to forego the concert grind due to financial circumstances.

The man hasn't plummeted into the pauper's cellar by any measure, but I believe he feels compelled to perform shows for the lucrative cash stream that they generate.

Sales of his recent records, alone, aren't sufficient to support him in the manner to which he's accustomed.

Due to the ongoing, vicious circle nature of this desperate situation :D in which Morrissey presently finds himself, I've come to the conclusion that heaven knows he's miserable now.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Fullbug, Bryan Harris, bob60 and 3 others like this.
  7. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Perhaps that's a matter of principle or pride that he's forgone The Smiths reunion and the cash in. Nevertheless, that doesn't preclude him from cashing in on his own material. No shame in that, of course, as he's free to do what he wants or doesn't want to, but his touring history seems a bit shambolic and unfair to his fanbase.

bob60 likes this.
  8. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

9. HoundsOBurkittsville

HoundsOBurkittsville Deep Wine List Sonic Equivalency

:idea: Y.W.C.A. Back-scrubber

Fullbug, Bryan Harris and Man at C&A like this.
  10. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Did Morrissey not get venues details before setting off on a tour? US venues put down plywood for outdoor venues like that -partly so sports can continue to be played on grass that isn't trashed.

If he NEEDS money rather than simply WANTING it then he can tour Canada. Toronto/Montreal are 15 years eating, Vancouver 20 years and he's never done prairie/Atlantic Canada. One US tour performing Smiths heavy set lists with his regular band....

11. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Van Morrison doesn't have this trouble. He's a bigger crank than Moz, makes no secret that he can frequently be a jerk, does less relevant music and won't lift a finger to promote an album once submitted.

Van records the album his dime and labels bid on the finished project for a 1-2 album contract. He's also worth $250mil despite having a checkered history of fan unfriendly unprofessional behavior at shows.

What's Morrissey's legit excuse again?

Bryan Harris likes this.
  12. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

I think Morrissey's great; he still puts out solid records and is usually pretty good live, but it's always been a roll of the dice on whether he will actually show up for a concert. That's just Moz, for better or worse. You don't always get what you pay for with him.

And as far as the Van Morrison comparison, yeah, there are definitely parallels between them. Some guys are just kind of flaky or jerky like that. But it's not like every musician has to be all Ned Flandersy like Dave Grohl or Ringo. Don't get me wrong, it's good to know that there are good guys out there like that that are all about the fans, but we need a few dicks too to keep things interesting, and remind us that this is, after all, rock 'n roll.

Man at C&A and Fullbug like this.
  13. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Forum Resident

Please note: Moz played approximately 68 shows by my count in 2015, not including tv appearances. He cancelled James Corden and postponed one show (Tilburg), which was rescheduled.

Morrissey Tour 2015 Info »

Paulwalrus and It's Felix like this.
  14. seg763

seg763 Senior Member

Back in '99 or so The Church were in NYC and Steve Kilbey got busted. Marty Wilson Piper led the remaining trio through a set. It was an opportunity to pull of something unique, instead Bona Drag took the easy way out.

The Church Setlist at Bowery Ballroom, New York »

Fullbug likes this.
  15. He should hook up with Kanye West and work on cancelling a tour together.

16. And his career as a novelist appears to be a hilarious non-starter.

bob60 likes this.
  17. Wasn't he boycotting Canada over the seal hunt or something? Principles don't pay the bills though, so maybe he'll have a Canadian tour to cancel before long.

HoundsOBurkittsville likes this.
  18. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

The keyboard player isn't just hired help but a good friend. He is dealing with kidney stones at a minimum. Morrissey sings live - period. I had a ticket to Houston and was disappointed but understanding and this is after traveling to 2 other cities in 2016 to see Morrissey. Those shows were wonderful. I also was supposed to see Prince in Atlanta this year when he canceled. Lesson learned - don't travel for gigs unless you would travel to that city regardless of a concert. Nothing is a sure thing. Try criticizing an artist for canceling and having him pass away weeks later. Horrible.

I hope all of you criticizing show up for work every day and never miss a beat. Geez....

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  19. Do you call in sick when a colleague is ill?

Fullbug and bob60 like this.
  20. Krzych

Krzych The one who listens

Gustavo sings backing vocals, and on many shows (including the one I’ve seen in Jakarta) he sang lead vocal on the song “Speedway”.

A colleague at work and a band member are two different things…

Man at C&A and Paulwalrus like this.
  21. MagneticNorthpaw

MagneticNorthpaw Senior Member

Alain Whyte, band member and longtime co-writer, sang backing vocals and was replaced by Barrie Cadogan on guitar in six days back in 2004 much less two weeks and more. And Gustavo sang the final verse of the current arrangement of Speedway. Morrissey could readily choose to sing the whole thing. He could have done arrangements without keys, played songs not requiring his presence, or hired any number of fill-ins if Gustavo wasn't sufficiently well to complete these rescheduled dates (Mike Farrell, Kris Pooley, Vincent Jones, etc.).

Blaming the company financing the tour - dates of which were quickly rescheduled - is akin to blaming Kristeen Young for making Morrissey and the band sick in 2014. He did well with 2015 touring commitments, but this has a whiff of recidivism.

bob60, Dudley Morris and eskaton like this.
  22. groundharp

groundharp Maybe your friends think I'm just a stranger

Exclusive dressmaker to Lady Gaga:
    [​IMG]

23. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Wish Morrissey all the best for 2017.
    Looking forward to seeing him play live in the New Year!

raphph likes this.
  24. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I haven't checked the news yet, has Morrissey been mentioned in the New Years Honours list this year? :D

25. DeadLoss

DeadLoss Well-Known Member

Morrissey is a fully paid-up member of the PopSTAR school of Contrarymaryness, Truculence & MeMeMeness; it's what's made him interesting, hilarious, and a pain in the posterior, in equal measure.

I loved The Smiths, have bought a couple of Mozza's better albums (Arsenal/Vauxhall), and support his stances on certain 'issues'.......BUT he's always had an ego the size of a small planet, and harnessing the power of his whinging would keep The National Grid going for years. (He's also well past his creative heyday.)

As for cancelling shows, well, he's never pandered to audiences; it's the old adage: 'treat 'em mean, keep 'em keen'. Where Morrissey's concerned it's definitely a case of 'buyer beware'. (I've still got a soft spot for him though!)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.