Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

New Metallica was cut by Chris Bellman, and it sounds superb.

Even if they won't admit it, the recent releases by White and Metallica suggests that they not only heard the criticism, but they did something about it...

mikedifr0923 and Paul P. like this.
  2. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

CD Japan shipped my deluxe SHM today, looked good what I saw on eBay so gone for that.

3. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Listening to it (CD) for the first time, and it's good, but sounds very harch to my ears. Too bad the mastering is so poor because the music is very good!

4. Bowieboy

Bowieboy Forum Resident

I'm not even an audiophile and I think this album is unlistenable... and I say that as someone who can get past the mastering if the songs are good enough when it comes to Rick Rubin.

andy75 likes this.
  5. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

Not too picky either with new music, but with this I will try to tweak the treble and bass settings next time I listen to it. Hope that helps.

6. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Can't believe how good this album is and how great Mick Jagger sounds!

7. Paul Saldana

Paul Saldana jazz vinyl addict

You can be married or have a sex life and still feel lonesome, believe me.

8. Paul Saldana

And probably from the digital intermediary and not the tape.

VintageVibe likes this.
  9. Paul Saldana

I haven't seen any graphs but this cd screeches on everything except my Skullcandy IEMs, which are treble-shy. YMMV.

10. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Listening to the cd now. Music is great, but the mastering is pretty harsh. I keep turning it down.

andy75 likes this.
  11. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

I'm 99.99 % sure of that...

12. Clanceman

Clanceman Forum Resident

Call me obsessive:

Vinyl - 2 copies
    iTunes - impatient, plus its in my Sonos library now & on my iPod
    Deluxe Box - for exactly the reasons you point out

Today I'll buy the regular cd because I don't want to carry the book that contains the cd or disrupt the box.

Yeah, I know I can stick the cd in a jewel case or inside Japanese rice inner sleeve with an outer sleeve. I tried yesterday.....it felt wrong. :p

13. Nielsoe

Nielsoe Forum Resident

You're obsessive.

DrZhivago, Chip Z, davesmoked and 2 others like this.
  14. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

One word: TIDAL
    That's all I need to enjoy this album. :D

Dr. Mudd likes this.
  15. wwaldmanfan

wwaldmanfan Born In The 50's

Audacity graph of entire DR 7 digital version of the album is on post #126 (red is clipping). Just so you know, I did listen to the entire album before posting this.
    It's funny that "audiophile" is now a dirty word on a forum created and hosted by one.

16. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

You're mad!

Well said!!!

17. VintageVibe

VintageVibe Forum Resident

Picked up the double vinyl set yesterday. The vinyl itself is clean and quiet. It was recorded in three days at Mark Knopfler's studio. A lot of the songs were done in one take. They typically warm up in the studio with blues tunes. This is a "what the hell" album. Mick had to warm to the idea, though. Perfect? No. Who gives a ****? It's the Stones. It's a solid blues cover album by the greatest band in the world. Pour some whiskey and CRANK IT UP!

18. Jack

Jack Senior Member

You didnt get the Ward super deluxe with the in the studio video documentary? :winkgrin:

19. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I may have to try the vinyl because I couldn't even manage a second listen on cd. Is their an ITunes version with less compression?

20. KinkySmallFace1991

KinkySmallFace1991 Will you come back to me, Sweet Lady Genevieve?

More than likely identical to the CD and hi-res in every way.

21. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Bummer because this is the best thing they have done in years

22. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

Newsflash! Modern digital recordings are mastered for ipods, mobile devices etc....get over it!

btltez likes this.
  23. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

Why should I get over it?

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Just a damn shame that another great album is ruined again. I have the vinyl on the way and am not expecting much really. They don't have to do this and other artists do prevent it from happening.
    You know whats interesting, and I am not sure everyone really realizes this, you are right in that modern masterings do many times sound better when played through an Ipod. I can attest to this and have noticed that many times the MP3 versions sound superior to the CD. I don't agree with the trend though and think it's a damn shame really. The Ipod is not everyone's go to choice for music nor should it be. We are just asking that the albums be properly mastered to begin with. What is happening is people are conditioning themselves to accept inferior sounding albums. It started 20 years ago and is still full force today. For example, I was spinning Megadeth Supercollider vinyl the other day which suffers from your very typical modern mastering, squashed to hell, dirty sounding, wall of sound, etc. Then I put on an old Beatles record which absolutely DESTROYED it for sound quality. Almost shocking to really do an A/B comparison (not that one is needed). Yikes, what the hell has happened to the music industry!!??

25. Ben H

Ben H Active Member

The performance is great but the sound of the vinyl is horrible. I actually prefer the download and listening to it on the car radio. It seems lower quality sources make it sound better to me.

MRamble likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.