Michael Jackson Bad tour video / film footage roundup

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

How much of Michael Jackson's 1987/1988/1989 Bad tour...

Bad (tour) - Wikipedia »

was video taped / filmed?

September 14th, 1987 Tokyo Japan released was broadcast on Japanese television and released on an unofficial DVD.

September 26th, 1987- I Just Can't Stop Loving You/Bad from this show is included on the Live At Wembley DVD.

July 15th, 1988 from Yokohama Japan- "The Way You Make Me Feel" from this show is included on the Live At Wembley DVD.

July 16th, 1988 Wembley Stadium U.K- complete show released on the Live At Wembley DVD. The Another Part Of Me performance was also filmed for the music video of that song.

Also, one of the March 1988 MSG shows (either the 3rd, 5th, or 6th) was filmed for the live version of the Dirty Diana video but I'm not sure which one.

There's footage of This Place Hotel from an un-named Bad tour date in "The Legend Continues" documentary (does anyone know specifics)?

Is that everything that is known to exist? I'd love to see that September 14th, 1987 Japan show released officially from a decent source if possible...

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Was the video really filmed in Fall 1986? But then how were Jackson able to lip-sync to a pre-recorded track, if the song hadn't been recorded yet?

3. PaulKTF

Huh? Was what video recorded in the fall of 1986? I don't understand what you're referring to.

4. PaulKTF

I just found some footage from November 28th, 1987 show in Brisbane. It looks like it was probably shot for television.

5. PaulKTF

And here's the Yokohama, Japan footage

JamieC likes this.
  6. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The Martin Scorsese-directed Music Video, of course.

7. PaulKTF

The Bad music video? What exactly are you referring to?

8. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

9. PaulKTF

Okay, that's the Bad video. So what?

10. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Was it really filmed in Fall 1986? If it was, how was Michael able to lip-sync to a pre-recorded track, if the song itself hadn't been recorded yet?

11. PaulKTF

The video was filmed in the fall of 1986 (November).

That Time Michael Jackson Filmed In Brooklyn! | OurBKSocial »

and the song was recorded first obviously. You can't lip-sync to a song that hasn't been recorded yet...

12. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

The video version of the song is better than the album version. I don't like how off-key the pitch sounded on the album, as opposed to the video.

13. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This is the one you're referring to.

14. PaulKTF

Wow! I don't think I've ever seen that before! Thanks! I wonder if they filmed the entire concert? Probably not...

mBen989 likes this.
  15. PaulKTF

May 23rd or 24th 1988- Rome, Italy:

16. PaulKTF

I'm kind of surprised they didn't release a Bad concert tour VHS tape in 1989. Surely it would have sold, no?

905 likes this.
  17. PaulKTF

I'll add that I would have been thrilled to be able to buy a VHS of a full Michael concert in 1988 or '89. I'm still really happy that we got the Wembley DVD (and that the concert footage survived, period).

18. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Live at Wembley July 16, 1988 - Wikipedia »

has some interesting information why the 1988 Wembley show was chosen for the DVD, despite the visual being sourced from a VHS tape.

I've long suspected that the MJ tape archive is incomplete with some stuff missing or still hidden away somewhere. Explains the underwhelming reissues since 2009.

19. PaulKTF

The Wembley show was chosen because it was probably the only full show the Estate had immediate access to (it's Michae's VHS dub of the footage of what was fed to the fear projection screens in the stadium if I understand things right).

A better quality source of the footage didn't exist anymore (or they couldn't find one, anyway) so VHS was all they had, and I think it looks just fine considering the source.

20. PaulKTF

I'm bumping this for the selfish reason that I think it's a cool thread that Michael fans would want to see. :)

21. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

From Wikipedia:

The full music video for "Bad" is an 18-minute short film written by novelist and screenwriter Richard Price and directed by Martin Scorsese in a 6-week period during November and December 1986. The video has many references to the 1961 film West Side Story, especially the "Cool" sequence. The soundtrack for the full length video used a different audio track than the album recording; it included an instrumental organ solo, which was not a part of the album recording.

I believe the final track was mixed and re-recorded in January 1987 but not released until September. It's very likely they had enough of "a version" of the song to shoot the music video, even if it hadn't been 100% finalized. There are versions of songs Jackson recorded for Thriller going back to 1980-1981, so he worked on some of this stuff for months at a time, then set it aside and worked on something else.

Somebody could probably write an interesting book with all the dates on how all the Michael Jackson songs were written, arranged, recorded, and mixed over time. I heard from one of the engineers at Cherokee Sound that for every song Jackson released, there might have been 8 or 9 that were put back on the shelf (usually just demos, not finished songs).

Vahan likes this.
  22. Vahan

Vahan Forum Resident

Vidiot, when the video first premiered on CBS on a special called Michael Jackson: The Magic Returns, the white credits were missing; the "Optimum Productions Presents" text notice was removed, and the original white ending credits were replaced with the end credits for the CBS special.

I wonder if the Michael Jackson's Vision collection featured the original unused master for the video? Sorry if I couldn't make this explanation any clearer.

23. BlueGangsta

BlueGangsta Forum Resident

There is waaaaaay more footage out there than what you've listed. Much of it is WBSS or Another Part of Me or Dirty Diana, which were the tracks typically sent to news stations for reports.

This tape was found at the Brisbane Entertainment Centre.

The Bad video was shot on film, so unless they edited it to video - no. I don't think any of Vision used original masters.

They actually found the original camera tapes hallway through remastering the dub. The primary reason the concert was chosen is because the original engineer for that concert found the original multitrack tapes.

Vidiot likes this.
  24. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Not sure. Sometimes bad decisions get made.

I get totally cranked out when I see stuff like disclaimers with quote marks in end credit crawls, when you know they didn't need quotes. Like "No animals were harmed during the making of this film." C'mon! The quotes don't need to be there! But unfortunately, sometimes you get producers on these things who have no brains and no taste. It's a tough combination to deal with in Hollywood.

25. DazNEUK

DazNEUK Well-Known Member

I'd love to see a Bad Tour release in the style of what was done for Another Part of Me in the Bad25 documentary.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.