Deep Purple's 20th Album, 'Infinite' is due 2017*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Dok, Oct 22, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

Whilst I agree that Morse is a boring generic rock guitarist, I don't think there's any issue with the "current" lineup being Deep Purple. From their early days, they're a band that has regularly changed lineups and with Gillan, Paice and Glover still in the band........ It's not like they've been away for years, and then reformed with a vastly inferior replacement like a lot of acts do now.

2. Claus

Claus Senior Member

I partly agree. Morse is a good guitarist, but just in the wrong band. He has not the soulful playing like Blackmore. And he can't compose great riffs. I can't remember to any riff Steve Morse played on Perpendicular to Now What. Gillan, Glover, Paice hired a easy-care guitarist. Good for the members, bad for their career.

3. zen

zen Senior Member

Are you just waking up? Don Airey's been Purple's keyboardist for 14 years...with Jon Lord's blessing!

BluesOvertookMe and Gregster like this.
  4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Hey, I get it, there are a lot of fans that dig the present-era version of the band. I just don't think it adds much to the legacy.. This current version of Deep Purple would arguably have no relevance had it not been for what the band did during the MKII and MKIII periods; that is really why Deep Purple is celebrated, that is what made a mark in rock and roll history. Granted, there is always the issue of factions of fans not willing to move with the times, stuck in one era. The reality is that Ritchie Blackmore and Jon Lord were key members, maybe more than Gillan and Glover. Is the current incarnation of Deep Purple more like Lynyrd Skynyrd or more like The Allman Brothers Band? One seems more like a tribute band, missing too many key players; the other is also missing a lot of key players, but established a new identity. There isn't one right way to look at it. The lines seem to get a bit blurry with these legacy acts who continue indefinitely with key line-up changes either due to death or band politics.

5. Heavy Music

Heavy Music Forum Resident

Also, growing up listening to Mark I & II, nobody can replace Richie's tone & style that gave Deep Purple their signature sound, guitar-wise speaking of course!

Dale A B and Gumboo like this.
  6. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

I enjoyed it, too, except for Hell Toupe, which I thought was trite.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  7. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

you must really hate bald people ;)

JulesRules likes this.
  8. zen

zen Senior Member

But "heads will roll" doesn't work. :p

Matthew Tate likes this.
  9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I agree completely.

Morse is so awesome...except 85% of their show is him playing Ritchie's riffs every night. :p
    (and not doing it very well)

10. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

Me too. Great album!! Looking forward to hearing the next one...

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

You're quite correct here !!! Mr.Blacmore spent a full year taking "classical" lessons where he had to ride his push-bike to see his teacher...

I can't speak for Steve Morse, but he is one super-gifted musician, that is in a far superior universe than Mr.Blackmore would ever hope to be in.

You can always tell when Mr.Blackmore is playing, as it's ALWAYS THE SAME THING he's been noodling around with for the last 50+-years IMO. Same solo's played gig after gig, especially since after the 1984 re-union.

They are both gifted, but in far different leagues.

Ritchie Blackmore was in the right-place at the right-time, when electric guitars ruled the air-waves, & could write a simple riff that the masses agreed with. ( He even admits to stealing most of the most popular riffs from elsewhere, so that's hardly innovative composition ).

Steve Morse had it much harder, & has covered ( & mastered ) a much wider panorama of guitar playing styles, making him without doubt in my mind, in the worlds top-10 rock guitarists, with the likes of EVH, Satriani, & Vai for sure.

It's also us people that have kept the band going for all these years, as we will not let them go. That's why they tour so much every year, as they mean so much to many people around the world. And they've also acknowledged the fact many times, that records don't sell, so that's why they haven't made many !!! - They also now realize that time is against them however, & still want to leave a record here & there, of which this next album, may well prove the last.

Cheers,

Gregster

12. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Very much looking fwd to the new album. I loved Now What. Think it is by far the best of the non-Blackmore albums and I even like it more than some of the albums with the man in black.

I do think that Steve Morse is "wrong" for DP though. His Tumeni Notes (actual song title on one of his solo album) style doesn't fit Purple's old school heavy rock rep, and his tone is not heavy enough to maintain their sound without drastically changing it. To criticize him outright as a soul-less hack shredder is quite wrong however, and shows a total ignorance of what mastery of guitar is all about. The guy is in the "hall of fame" category in Guitar Player magazine after winning their annual award for 5 years (in a row I believe), joining Eric Johnson and Steve Howe - no slouches on guitar there, but I think that either of those guys, as much as I love them, would be just as bad fits for the legendary Deep Purple "sound" as Morse is. Can you imagine Steve Howe playing Highway Star? I shudder at the thought.

JulesRules, j4yheindeo and GodShifter like this.
  13. zen

zen Senior Member

I shudder to think what would've happened without Morse. The remaining 4/5 of MKII clearly did not want a Blackmore clone (that would be like backing themselves into a corner). For the record, Gillan, Glover, Lord and Paice all made a short list of guitarists they'd consider to replace Blackmore, and Steve Morse was the only name on everyone's list.
    I believe that's one of the reasons we are looking forward to another DP album.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  14. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

I didn't know that story about him being on a short list of replacements. That is interesting.

Personally, I thought Satriani was a better fit for DP than Morse. I was disappointed that Satch didn't stay longer after his 6 month or so tenure, and that we never got a DP studio album with him, but at the same time glad that he was able to continue his solo career more wholeheartedly than if he became a full DP member. Was very shocked to learn that Morse was coming in after Satch. Morse was not a guitarist I ever thought of joining DP. Am a big fan of Steve though and not trying to diss him. Of his work with Purple I dig Purpendicular and Now What but can't get into any of the others. If the next one is even half as good as Now What I will dig it. The songwriting/melodies are what is the key for me.

15. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Satch is a great guitarist and would have been the best choice as replacement. Honestly I must say, I was bored with Blackmore on one of his last two DP albums.... Slaves and Battle.

slipkid and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. zen

zen Senior Member

Glad you mentioned that. I wonder about certain fans who still whine, no Blackmore, no deal...and yet, they usually have little to no interest in his final Deep Purple albums anyway! It doesn't compute. If you've moved on, stay gone. Anyway, this is a...Deep Purple's 20th Album thread. I hope it can stay on track, until release date 2017.

17. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. antonkk

antonkk Senior Member

The likes of EVH, Satriani and Vai? These are by far the most despised musicians in my book (after Zappa and SRV). We come from the totally opposite universes when it comes to music I guess.

Gumboo likes this.
  19. Gregster

Gregster Forum Resident

Hello,

I'm hoping that being Russian, in this instance, means that you're not aware of how strong the word "despise" is, & what it actually means....

I can understand people not liking some-ones music ( we can't like everything lol ), but to not have even the a little respect for the efforts & sacrifice given by musicians who have become something, is really disrespectful, unwarranted, & possibly means you're likely a young person !

A wise person can learn more from a foolish persons words, than a foolish person can from a wise person.

Let's hope the new record kicks major butt !!! Long live DP !!!

Ciao,

Gregster

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  20. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

21. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Sounds promising!

Always a pleasure to hear Paicey. No one plays like him!!

BluesOvertookMe likes this.
  22. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Not too bad for a band in the verge of retirement...it does actually sound even more powerful than NW...

BluesOvertookMe and dylankicks like this.
  23. zen

zen Senior Member

24. Dok

Dok Senior Member Thread Starter

25. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Sounds so generic, I stopped after a few seconds.... boring, boring, boring!

JulesRules likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.