Loud static sound from headphone jack on Marantz

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by CCrider92, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member Thread Starter

I have a 2008Marantz SR-4021 Stereo Receiver. The headphone jack is putting out a lot of static type sound even when the phones are not jacked in especially through the right speaker. Any ideas for a solution? Thank you in advance.

2. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

I'd start with cleaning it out with some de-oxit or similar contact cleaner. That might be the whole problem.

3. CCrider92

Thanks, Tim, I did try that first thing. I've tried my headphones into jacks on other equipment and there's no issue except on the receiver.

4. CCrider92

Now as I insert a plug into the jack all the static noises comes from the left channel but very much settles into just the right channel when fully inserted. I retried cleaning.

5. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Are you experiencing any problem listening to the Marantz over speakers? Sort of sounds like a dirty volume control, but that usually occurs when the volume is adjusted you get a little scratch of static. Is there a volume control for the headphone output?

6. CCrider92

No volume control for the phones, but yes there is quite a bit of noise from the right speaker. I assume the control knob comes off by pulling it outward?! I haven't removed a knob in decades!

7. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

The headphone jack may still be dirty. Try twisting the headphone plug back and forth a few times. Apply some De-oxit to the plug first.

OK, I see where you're also hearing noise via the loudspeakers. You may need to take off the chassis cover to get to the internals of the volume knob. Also check that your speaker terminals are clean and secure.

8. CCrider92

A while ago I did exactly as you first suggested, but it was of no use. I also redid my speaker terminals. I've not done the chassis bit - I'd leave that to a pro. Thanks for your input/suggestions.

9. Apesbrain

Apesbrain Forum Resident

Taking off the chassis cover is not that difficult; just be sure the unit is unplugged from power. The risk is that you get in there and find the volume control is sealed and there's no obvious way to get any De-oxit in there. Maybe drop a line to Marantz to get their advice.

10. CCrider92

Thanks again! Appears I've solVED - as Inspector Clouseau would say - the problem. I tried the phone jack with the CD, DVD, tape deck, AM/FM bands, the Rega table, and the Technics table - the tables are hooked up to 2 different phono preamps, and the issue was with the preamp to the Technics. Just moving the preamp a bit kicked out the noise - I have to look into it further. Right now it looks like I won't have to bring it to shop and be without it for a while and save some cash too!

forthlin likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.