Metallica - Hardwired...To Self-Destruct (Nov 18th)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by FourWalledWorld, Aug 18, 2016.

1. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

Took a break form "Hardwired" this weekend...Finally! While I'm still digging James's voice, lyrics, and guitar riffs, Lars's drumming and his drums (mix,EQ) are really starting to take a toll on my ears. I couldn't help but think how better this album would be with a drummer with a bigger vocabulary (musically) someone who sits better in the pocket, someone that understands dynamics...Well, any other hard rock/metal drummer for that matter! LOL! Anyways I spent most of the weekend going through my "The Sword" albums, Forgot how good these guys are! I also love the "classic rock" sounding musical and production style. I couldn't help but think that "Acheron/Unleashing the Orb" from the album "Warp Riders" could almost fit on "Death Magnetic" or possibly "Hardwired"...Anyways, thought I'd share. Cheers!

Dorian75 likes this.
  2. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Warp Riders is a great album, agreed. I have that on vinyl too. I couldn't get into their most recent album though. I agree their somewhat retro tone is cool. Funny story actually, I bought that on vinyl and then proceeded to melt it in my Vinyl Flat, before I knew how to use it properly. Had to buy a second copy. Didn't feel too bad though, as I was buying directly from the band's site.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

\m/ (-_-) \m/

4. ryaneagon

ryaneagon Forum Resident

I agree, the new album has some good moments, the same with previous releases. "Warp Riders" is their best album (IMO) It's just got this awesome vibe, front to back. I really do dig the concept (science fiction) type storyline as well. \,,/

Dorian75 likes this.
  5. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Here Comes Revenge is one of the best fluffernutter songs I have heard in a very long time! So damn angry!

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2016
    Dmann201, sassi, Brenald79 and 5 others like this.
  6. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

How long did you leave it in the Vinyl Flat ??

7. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Now that I think about it, it wasn't that I left it in too long, it was that the temp was too high. This was before I bought their plug-in 'heat pouch', or whatever its called. I was just trying to do it in the oven. Not recommended! I bought the heat pouch right after that episode.

tim185 likes this.
  8. Vinyl Fan 1973

Vinyl Fan 1973 "They're like soup, they're like....nothing bad"

Yup, and the video made for it is one of my faves, if not my favourite. Love it.

Settling in with a glass of red, and spinning this album again. Soaking up Atlas!

Dmann201, Dorian75 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  9. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I've decided that the overarching vibe I get from this album is the groove. They are in the pocket and just killing it. I am constantly head banging or tapping my foot or hand as I listen, often without even noticing until people at work give me a weird look. It just flows and grooves in such a kick-ass way.

10. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

Guys, I still didn't read the thread all the way through and it's a great thread and a great album. I don't want to lose the thread over a comment or two. More head banging should relieve any tension.:)

We got at least good and I think great album, so let's enjoy it and all that Metallica has in store for us. It's gonna be a great year next year. They seem motivated about having a new album a lot sooner and I think they may do it.

Dorian75 likes this.
  11. hi_watt

hi_watt The Road Warrior

Got lucky and got a red LP pressing. The songs on this are out of sight. Haven't gotten lost in an album and gotten emotionally stirred up (in a good rocking way) in a long time, which takes me to my youth. Don't hesitate on getting it!

12. stonesfcr

stonesfcr Forum Resident

Where do I sign for an official petition to request the full album to be played live like Master of Puppets '06 in the upcoming tour?

I can't stop listening to Confusion, such a killer song!!:wiggle:

Dmann201, Stormrider77, Opeth and 3 others like this.
  13. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

All sanity is now beyond me,
    All sanity is but a memory!

14. MikeVielhaber

MikeVielhaber Forum Resident

They've actually played 4 of the first 5 albums in concert. Only missing Justice.

Opeth and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

They've admitted many times that a lot of the Justice songs are too hard for them to play. They even thought that on the Justice tour. So I wouldn't hold out hope for it!

Panama Jack and Opeth like this.
  16. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

shame, as its my favourite one

johnny q likes this.
  17. panicproject

panicproject VinylVinylVinylVinyl

i have even grown to like ManUnkind now. Not had an album grow on me this much for many years. Don't get me wrong there are still moments on it that i could do with out. I struggle with Am i Savage in general. Halo On Fire whilst being epic has not connected with me in the same way others on here have stated either.

Dorian75 likes this.
  18. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Yes Am I Savage and also Murder One still don't connect for me. They're the only two though.

panicproject likes this.
  19. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

They've said the complexity of Justice was what drove them to the relative simplicity of the Black album.

panicproject likes this.
  20. bunkaroo

bunkaroo Forum Resident

That's got to be code for "our drummer can't handle it". No way James and Rob can't play those songs live.

21. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Ha ha most likely yes.

22. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

ManUNkind is all of a sudden one of my favorites. I couldn't stand it at first. This album truly is a grower. As someone else said, I have a different track stuck in my head each day.

panicproject likes this.
  23. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

HOLD THE PHONE! Am I Savage now rocks! Kirk's solo especially good.

johnny q and Opeth like this.
  24. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

I can safely say that this is easily their best since Justice. No doubt.

Vinyl Addict, sassi, johnny q and 2 others like this.
  25. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Oh, it's way better than justice.

Kim Olesen and robtodd like this.