Rolling Stones Blue and Lonesome vinyl or cd?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by btltez, Nov 27, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. telepicker97

telepicker97 Got Any Gum?

He meant "go ahead and get the vinyl, it sounds way better..."

2. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

That would be similar to Death Magnetic and a few others I can think of. Made for ear buds....great :rolleyes:

3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

I thought I was the only one! Same here. The vinyl, to me, emphasizes the issues with the mastering and almost seems counter-productive. Listening to the CD in the car was a way better experience...it seemed to match the quality of the sound better.

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

Mick is the driving force in post-production and no doubt he wanted the mix to compete with most pop music out there: played straight out of people's phones/tablets etc.

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  5. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Which brings me back to ownership of the problem by the artists themselves. Also, if you are going to do that at the very least release a fine sounding vinyl option for those that are laying down their hard earned cash for it. Or how about at DR13 CD for those who don't like horribly compressed music? The dark ages of music 1998-present...

MRamble likes this.
  6. elvismcdouglas

elvismcdouglas Forum Resident

Are your vinyl copies EU (Polydor) or US (Interscope)? Did you get a download card in either?

Clanceman likes this.
  7. ZenArcher

ZenArcher Senior Member

Enjoying this very much! First signs of life from the Stones is years. The sound is unfortunate but in no way ruins the experience. I wish they had done their best to recreate the setup used for many of the original recordings, and come by the vintage sound honestly.

But, I'd rather have good music mastered badly than an audiophile snooze fest any day.

8. andy75

andy75 Forum Resident

When I listened the second time I lowered the treble and added some bass. I never do that, but that made it sound a little bit softer on my ears!

9. Coricama

Coricama Classic Rocker

My wife and I drove to Disney and back this weekend, so I haven't had the chance to get vinyl or CD. I downloaded the MP3 on my wife's phone and listened on the stock Ford stereo. From what I'm reading on here, that's probably as good as its going to sound, which wasn't unlistenable. Maybe it is indeed mastered for a lossy format to be played on less than audiophile equipment? I enjoyed the heck out of the album none the less.

10. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

This album gets better with each play. As real as the Stones have ever been. Great tribute to their influences. Honest!

11. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

The vinyl in UK stores has a download included.

12. Ephi82

Ephi82 Still have two ears working

After playing Blue and Lonesome today on cd, i pulled out the Chess London Sessions with Howling Wolf, which is also on cd.

This is what Blue and Lonesome could have sounded like.

In 1971, Wolf, Watts, Wyman, Ringo, Clapton, Sumlin, Winwood, Ian Stewart and others got together in Olympic Studios, and Glyn Johns recorded 13 blues tunes. CD mastered by Phil Fulginetti.

It blows my mind that the sound of recordings has declined so much in recent times.

Im done buying "new"CDs, unless there is clear evidence they are mastered correctly. I hate the idea that I somewhat blindly gave Jagger and Richards $11.38 for a poor musical product.

13. I'm not a huge fan of the sound of this record but to me, it seems like this is the way they recorded the music and not just a badly mastered record. It apparently was a sound choice.

14. This Heat

This Heat Forum Resident

I'll try this but I hate turning on my tone controls.

andy75 and Tommyboy like this.
  15. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member

Exactly the mastering isn't that bad, it's the recording and the sound of it that seems to be the real issue, given the budget a band like this has to work with I have to assume that the end result is exactly what they wanted.

David Johnson likes this.
  16. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

Meant to sound overdriven, methinks.

17. WhoDaresWins

WhoDaresWins Forum Resident

I agree, this may be one of the last new releases from the band and the end product was probably meant to be heard that way. I highly doubt the mastering was done unintentionally upfront.

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

There is no mention of Marcussen's name on my vinyl copy. It mentions that it was mastered by Ron McMaster.

19. InStepWithTheStars

InStepWithTheStars It's a miracle, let it alter you

Been listening to it and it's really enjoyable. I don't think I like it as much as A Bigger Bang, but I'm not as much a fan of blues as I am of rock and roll. At any rate, it's probably my favorite blues album. Well-chosen covers, and extremely well performed. The mastering is an improvement over the 2009 remasters (and over A Bigger Bang for that matter). I like the over-driven sound of the album, grungy and distorted like an old garage record, although I wish they'd just added some analog distortion over it rather than hand it over to Marcussen, of whose work I've yet to find one that satisfied me. Still, it's a step in the right direction, I guess. All in all while I wouldn't put it in my top five, it's definitely a solid album and shows that the Stones haven't lost their mojo.

However, it doesn't feature a band member who died 46 years ago so my final verdict is a 0/10 - absolutely worthless, not even worth expending the energy to consider thinking about. Completely useless waste of time and space.

:rolleyes: :winkgrin:

mikedifr0923 likes this.
  20. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Wha?

Jack likes this.
  21. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Not sure if I'm going to buy that it was a "sound choice" yet. I think it is an industry wide sound choice and a very poor one at that. Releasing an overly loud, squashed to hell CD, is one lousy choice. I may never hear the CD and hope to at least get the download card with the vinyl. I will reserve my final judgement until I hear it but this is getting slammed pretty hard by many folks and with a DR7 rating my hope is waning.

22. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident

No doubt Mick had a specific sound in mind. The best parts of the sound is that it's dirty and sounds like it was recorded in a smokey juke joint in the fifties. Mick (or Don Was?) got that part right. But it's still got a harshness that is more 2016 than it is 1950. Charlie's snare is almost unrecognizable. I don't think it's a coincidence that Mick went this route....this is the guy after all who will always go mainstream/pop when given the chance. He's proven that many times in the last 20 years in and out of the Stones.

nodbor and TonyCzar like this.
  23. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

Shoulda been mono.

nodbor, Dudley Morris and MRamble like this.
  24. tkl7

tkl7 Agent Provocateur

It was clearly a sound choice. It was meant to sound like an old 1950s blues record.

Clanceman likes this.
  25. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

Let's face it. You can't get decent sound from a major artist any more (but Elton's last on vinyl is actually rather good). With all the publicity about the loudness wars it's incredible that this goes over industry people and artists heads. The recent Keith Richards album sounded OK on vinyl so I may risk this. Keep the crap mastering for MP3 downloads please. There is no reason to ruin CDs as they are not used for portable play or by radio stations any more.

tms766, Daniel Thomas and TonyCzar like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.