Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

There is no mix. It's an open mic recording with the mics on the stage (behind the PA)

2. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

N
    Nope! IO '66 is different from IO '67 from Sound Techniques. I have both on unofficial releases.

3. yarbles

yarbles Too sick to pray

Given all the multiple versions in the set, it's a shame they didn't include a live version of Alan. idk how many different recordings there are and in what quality, but Sheffield 22.12.70 is ok and could've sat quite nicely on Continu/ation.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  4. the Deacon from Deetroit

the Deacon from Deetroit Active Member

Th
    The girl doing the interview for CBC comments that they do not hav a record out yet, so that dates it to January '67 or earlier.

5. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

Just a heads up to the thread. I had an older Glenn Povey book on PF, but got a new copy of his latest ('16), The Complete Pink Floyd: The Ultimate Reference a few weeks ago for $14. I liked his earlier work, but this is more comprehensive, meatier (about 450 pages), tons of photos dating back to Cambridge, his most up to date, and the hard cover is nice size. This morning an Amazon alternate seller is listing it new for $9.99 (supposedly $29.95 list), which seems like a steal. Highly recommended as an informal companion/complement to the set (especially with the copious live material, meticulously documented with forensic precision in the book), if you don't already have something like this. Also, the liner note author Mark Blake has a PF book I downloaded a few years ago which I found insightful and well researched/written (seems the band and/or their management agreed).

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  6. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Aren't all immersion boxes out of print now?

7. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

Yeah WTF is with that? I thought these were going to be the definitive releases for future generations

8. Ron2112

Ron2112 Forum Resident

Maybe not, but the live footage included in those reports is stunning. Really the final piece in showing the transformation of Live Floyd from four guys sitting in a semicircle to the visual monster we all know today.

9. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

There are some webshops still offering them.

10. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

I agree. Plus the fact that if these clips weren't included people would complain.

11. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I never liked the Wall...but I do now because of the demos version they put together. The demos far surpass the finished product in my opinion.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  12. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

That is strange...but maybe this is a potential sign that we'll get a middle-years box set :)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  13. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Do all four band members play on the demoes? With tales of Nick being bored sitting around in the studio while a session rhythm section played (meaning Roger would also not have played a lick of bass), I'd be curious about this. Mind you, I've rarely (if ever) enjoyed The Wall as an album, but that didn't stop me from buying Is There Anybody Out There? instead (which, again from tales I've read here, might simply be Roger and David singing live over studio backing tracks). I bought the DSotM Immersion set, and the WYWH SACD (didn't feel like I needed live versions to 3/4 of Animals, plus I choose a well-made analog-to-DSD SACD to WAV Blu-Ray/DVD/etc... which explains why I bought the SACD before finding out it was mastered on a WAV digital platform :shake: ), but no Wall anything since the Why Pink Floyd? campaign.

14. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

Some are Roger's original demos and some include the band as a glimpse of a work in progress. A fascinating listen but I haven't returned to them often and passed on buying this box.

15. edenofflowers

edenofflowers A New Stereophonic Sound Spectacular!

I love this place. :biglaugh:

16. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I don't agree with you at all, the finished album is a masterpiece. Nevertheless, the band demos are really excellent. Roger's are generally rough, but interesting in order to study the development of the project.

aoxomoxoa, andrewskyDE and drum_cas like this.
  17. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

At least the finale, Morning Glory. Not only one of my favorite Floyd moments on studio record ~ but Dave's screaming solo on the live version is arguably my favorite Floyd moment on a live recording. Don't know why they didn't at least keep this portion of the song in their repertoire for awhile.

18. anth67

Why not? I think they're great time capsules, and quality is perfect. Too bad no footage of Obscured/When You're In made the cut.

19. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Having fixed the "curious" mastering of Pompei and OBC. Substituted the better 67 bbc tracks, and imported the audio from the video that had the best audio, i have to say this: This set has massive replay value. So i am a happy camper.

20. central616

central616 Forum Resident

Nice joke, Ron.

21. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

I did hear a few moments in the Latham stuff that could have been part of an IO jam. On the whole, no, not really. But some parts, yes indeed! Interesting exploration for sure but it's clear that it was pretty aimless.

Six Bachelors likes this.
  22. ShockOfDaylight

ShockOfDaylight Forum Resident

I can only imagine what the price point would be for that set .:cry:

23. anth67

Is "The Pink Jungle" from 4/14/69 on this list? That's a unique piece. Sorry, I'm unable to peruse at length from work...... ; )

24. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Actually I don't think quite as much...perhaps the same. It was a longer period of time but the band only released 5 albums between DSOTM and TFC. And if they use the material already on the Immersion sets it shouldn't cost too much to track everything down and restore. It would be great to have those live performances and outtakes and the video footage on another well-done box set. Also we'd get stuff from the Animals sessions and a concert from the Animals tour. Perhaps the Spare Bricks album as originally intended? The Wall film score? Household Objects? I really love the early years and I'm a huge fan of this box set but the middle period is my favorite Floyd and I would love to hear more from it.

drum_cas and andrewskyDE like this.
  25. anth67

I dig Latham, myself. It is what is ~ I'm glad to have another '67 exploration in pristine quality. Parts of the Committee are very similar. My second listen made a humorously bizarre soundtrack y'day while I was doing a puzzle.