Beatles mono box damaged/defective CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by pboser, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Why do we think his copy is fake? So far the only "evidence" seems to be the OP's belief that the album sounds too distorted.

Seems like the fakes are blatant, so either he got one that fixed the many goofs - and got the matrix # correct - or he has a real copy.

Based on the evidence produced to date, I'm betting he has a real copy and either there's something wrong with the pressing or he just doesn't like the sound... :shrug:

2. OobuJoobu

OobuJoobu Forum Resident

Would there be the possibility of ripping the disc then uploading a song that you believe is distorted, then provide a link, so that we could hear whether we agree, or whether we think that's how the mono version should sound?

3. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Mines a 1 also, Needs to have a IFPI stamp
    Should have the outer protective sleeve, the inner sleeve and the protective plastic cd sleeve, and it should not stink to high heaven :laugh:
    [​IMG]

Vinyl Fan 1973 likes this.
  4. Oatsdad

Probably also be helpful if OP posted pics of the CD and the packaging...

PH416156, OobuJoobu and c-eling like this.
  5. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Put a wanted to buy notice in the classifieds here.

6. pboser

pboser Forum Resident Thread Starter

Mine doesn't look like the one above. I can't figure out how to post a photo but it doesn't have the black all the way to the hub. And no inner sleeves in the whole box! Only cheap looking plastic . Also, the printing is pretty fuzzy on the back, but I see Paul's name is spelled! That seems pretty conclusive. I will listen to the disc again with headphones and see if I can describe the distortion.

7. Oatsdad

I assume you mean Paul's name is misspelled, right?

If that's the case - ya gots you a fake! :sigh:

forthlin likes this.
  8. PineBark

PineBark formerly known as BackScratcher

Yup. There are probably more counterfeit sets in existence than legitimate ones.

9. Oatsdad

I offered to post pboser's pics - here's what his "Revolver" looks like!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. billnunan

billnunan Forum Resident

No question. Fake, for sure.

Smartin62, c-eling and drasil like this.
  11. pboser

I realized that I failed to describe the problem with the disc. On some of the songs, while the music is playing, there is a "Bip-bip-bip" sound continuously playing along with the music. When I first heard it, I thought it was mechanical, like a rough edge hitting the inside of the CD player, but it only happens while the music is playing. Strange! I guess it is just bad mastering of the bootleg copy, but I don't even have a guess as to what causes the effect. Any thoughts?
    And thanks to all for their thoughts and help – this is a great forum!
    Pete

12. Oatsdad

Is it possible you got a copy of "Wild Life" by mistake? ;)

Jayseph likes this.
  13. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Take another store-bought legit cd and line up the holes to see if it is odd-shaped. Plus, in that last photo, the hole itself doesn't look "right" (compared to the other legit copy photo). Parlophone and Revolver shouldn't be covered by the center ring. Japan would never let a legit copy go out looking like that. Looks fake (imho).

14. Joseph.McClure

Joseph.McClure Forum Resident

That CD is definitely not legitimate.

15. Scott6

Scott6 Forum Resident

Sadly 100% fake. The disc is a classic sign. The disc should look exactly the same as the 1st photo above posted by c-eling. All discs should have the inner paper sleeve and the protective plastic sleeve.

Also on the actual disc the M in 33 1/3 RPM is directly below the D in TRADE. The fake copy above has the M below the TR of TRADE.

16. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

So the solution would be to buy a legitimate set, right? Certainly you are not looking for ANOTHER fake copy to replace your "defective" one!

Smartin62 likes this.
  17. Dinstun

Dinstun Forum Resident

That plastic sleeve looks like a used sandwich bag.

Rorsontherun and johnnybrum like this.
  18. pboser

No – I guess I can live with the fake copies of the other records, as long as they seem to play OK, but was disappointed to Learned that The mono discs are not available individually. I guess another set, a legitimate one, is my goal!

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

It is a nice, high quality box. I bought mine exclusively for the original stereo mixes (without the added reverb) on Help and Rubber Soul. It was worth it just for that. I really have no interest in mono and after hearing Sgt Pepper in mono from this box, I do not get all the hype over it. What I DO find interesting are the differences here and there between the stereo and mono mixes (beyond the fact they are stereo and mono of course) .

20. moops

moops Senior Member

21. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

i ended buying a $20 bootleg because the outside box was decent enough to store my capital vol 1 box set and a few us albums cds I bought. the bootleg cds i leave in the car.

22. As someone else suggested, the officially released US replica of Revolver on CD has the album in mono and stereo together. They have the same mastering as on the mono box set, the Beatles didn't bother using other sources when releasing the US replicas this time.

23. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Why didn't you just leave the Capitol CDs in the Capitol boxes? It would have saved you $20.... :D

24. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

i kept the capitol cds in the sleeves but the box that housed the cds/sleeves would/did not hold up plus i can keep them with my us albums i have

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.