Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

That could be cool, but one imagines a lot of content would be recycled from the Immersion sets, making the set very redundant. The one thing that the Immersion sets were light on was studio outtake/alternate take material, and nothing from the Animals era was released (assuming something actually exists from the studio or live). Even an alternative "live" recording of The Wall circa 1980/1981 would be cool, clearly they have the live tapes to do it.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  2. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

You don't need to assume. There's a great early rough mix of the album (the highlight is Roger on vocals for Dogs) and they recorded every show on a Nak from the soundboard (I don't think that any multi-tracks exist). The album deserves a new (better) mix and I'm hoping that we see an expanded release next year for it's 40th anniversary.

3. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Final lunchtime post for today.... '71 audio.

Nothing part 14 ~ the first chord being major completely changes the piece. Too bad there was no room for this in the finished opus (and there really wasn't), but it's beautiful.

BBC '71 ~ mono or not, sounds fabulous. I'd forgotten how hot this Embryo is, the '70 one usually gets the attention. Too bad they couldn't have squeezed Fat Old Sun onto the Cre/ation disc.

What a great disc of music ~ Nothing & Echoes make perfect bookends.

4. YOGAMAN6

YOGAMAN6 Member

I don't think so.

5. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

No and it doesn't really belong on this list since it wasn't professionally recorded. If bootleg audience recordings were included the list would be endless.

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

This recent "except everything for how it is" attitude that people have been
    displaying here doesn't work at all in an audiophile context, unless it is
    your goal to spread false information and irritate everyone.

And how can preferring a clear PRE-FM tape to a sub-par bootleg made with a
    microphone held up to a speaker be "a matter of taste"? I would love for you
    to explain that, because it makes absolutely no sense, and it suggests that
    you have no idea what you are talking about.

7. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Not even for a Continu/ation disc? ; ) Oh, well. My 5CD personal "More Early Years" collection does include a few special items like this, and the live Sheffield Morning Glory. Both are also on yet another anthology of mine, "Only 1," that gathers all the songs for which only one live performance exists.
    I know, you can slice 'n dice this stuff endlessly......

8. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

That should of course have been on the Wall Immersion set. A glaring omission if you ask me. Must be some copyright issue.

bcaulf and andrewskyDE like this.
  9. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

I might be wrong, but wasn't that just a forerunner to 'On The Run'?

10. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Though there's not much live recording from 1972 in that box. So I heard we will never get the full Brighton Dome '72 concert because most of these tapes don't exist anymore...

11. brunofaetten

brunofaetten Forum Resident

Do you include all of the Pompeii Radio Ads on your 5CD? Think carefully before answering...:)

12. zipp

zipp Forum Resident

Indeed. I'd never heard of this film before. It's actually called "A coeur joie" which means "To your heart's delight" but the English title was "Two Weeks in September". You can hear Gilmour singing two songs on youtube.

13. Sytze

Sytze Senior Member

Me neither. I guess we have the 2015 documentary on Gilmour to thank for that. He wasn't credited on the EP sleeve.

14. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Think I plan to make an alternative Dark Side album containing the early mixes from 1972, the alternate version of 'Speak To Me' from the Pompeii movie and 'The Travel Sequence' (from the Immersion box).

pablo fanques and jlf like this.
  15. central616

central616 Forum Resident

The person who recorded and shared the September 13 1967 concert, deserves one (in a) million dollars!!! It would be a musical tragedy that no recordings of this song have survived.
    By the way, very nice cover. Doesn't sound like a Floyd tune, but it's good by itself.

Chris M likes this.
  16. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Could you tell me which shops? I have been looking for these immersion boxes for quite some time now.

17. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'd say yes, because you can recreate the full Wall album with these early band versions and demos. I made one version myself, and it sounds pretty interesting that way.

18. brunofaetten

19. brunofaetten

20. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

No!!!! I wanna have a special/deluxe edition of Animals on its own!!

21. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Some of the band demo tracks include (more) quotes of each other's songs, like 'Outside The Wall' in the coda of 'Goodbye Blue Sky'.
    Wonder how the final album would sound like if the band and producers didn't edit the songs shorter so much.

22. Thelonious_Cube

Thelonious_Cube Epistrophe of Light

Found it on the web (with help from a different Steve Hoffman thread!) - It's called Showtime and was apparently a successful attempt by Sun to cash in (uh....sorry) on the success of Johnny's live prison albums.

The prison ones are, I believe, based on genuine live recordings (might be sweetened, I'm not sure - apparently some fake applause was added to the real recordings...ugh!)

23. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

While I read this, a Floyd concert came in mind which was aired in French radio around 1972 or 1973, I think. Heard few clips, it was taped off-air and was in bad quality.
    They played 'Childhood's End' live there. Anyone knows if the tapes of that certain concert from France (maybe Paris) still exist?

24. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Thanks for the tip! Just ordered a copy for Christmas (the "prism cover design" edition) from Amazon for $20 CDN, shipping included. :tiphat:

25. BarneyRubble

BarneyRubble Well-Known Member

Thanks Ron! I'll follow my original leaning and stay far, far way from the Wall box. :whistle:

rontoon likes this.