Pick Your ONE Favorite "Godfather" Trilogy Quote

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NaturalD

NaturalD The King of Pop

I and II have too many to choose from. But the only line in the trilogy that actually made me laugh out loud was in III when Michael says to Anthony, "Every family has bad memories."

2. Peace N. Love

Peace N. Love Forum Resident

Current favorite: Tom Hagen to Kay: "Well, that's an accident, but nobody was hurt."

guidedbyvoices likes this.
  3. strymeow

strymeow Forum Resident

We'll get there pop

4. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

"I'm a retired investor living on a pension."

[​IMG]

5. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Barzini: If Don Corleone had all the judges, and the politicians in New York, then he must share them, or let us others use them. He must let us draw the water from the well. Certainly he can present a bill for such services; after all, we are not Communists.

6. PonceDeLeroy

PonceDeLeroy Forum Resident

Try the veal. It's the finest in New York.

7. "My offer is this, nothing."

8. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Michael Corleone says hello!

guy incognito likes this.
  9. How did Vito know "it was Barzini all along"?

10. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hardly the best scene or the best movie of the trilogy, but that's the quote I repeat the most...So it wins...

11. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

I quote it too, but I'm usually thinking more of Silvio Dante's impression of it in The Sopranos. :)

12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Whenever I think of that scene, I shift to thinking about that skit on SCTV with the barber pole.

13. "Someone put a bullet through his eye. No one knows who gave the order. When I heard it, I wasn't angry; I knew Moe, I knew he was head-strong, talking loud, saying stupid things. So when he turned up dead, I let it go. And I said to myself, this is the business we've chosen; I didn't ask who gave the order, because it had nothing to do with business!"

Bill Why Man and DarkAudit like this.
  14. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Don't ever take sides against the family.

nbadge, razerx and rockclassics like this.
  15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

YUP, the best quote as asked...

16. old school

old school Senior Member

" I need a million cash and all those politicians you carry around like nickels and dimes in your pocket Don Corleone"

17. Borgia

Borgia Do not speak wisely of this night

I frisked him, he's clean.
    I've frisked a thousand young punks.

[​IMG]

18. rockclassics

rockclassics Senior Member

Michael when he says to Kay "Don't ever ask me about my business." Then he lies to her while looking her straight in the eye.

19. Fastnbulbous

Drugs. Barzini led the meeting and brokered the deal to end the war following the murder of Solozzo. He extracted a promise from Vito - who refused Solozzo - to use his political influence to open the narcotics up to the five families. Tattaglia had neither the power nor the brains to engineer such a scheme. At least that's my take on it.

20. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

Tattaglia was a pimp. He could never have outfought Santino.

The plan to lure Sonny off of the compound to murder him required forethought and vision. The perp needed him to be so hot-headed and angry that he would come off the compound without thinking. The perp had to know what button to push, and then had to know that they could get to Carlo to turn on Sonny (which required knowing that Carlo had a grudge against Sonny for the public beat down he had given him). So, yes, a plan that a simple "pimp" like Tattaglia could never put together - it required the brains of Barzini, who was smart enough to hide behind Tattaglia.

Marzz, ianuaditis and Fastnbulbous like this.
  21. Fastnbulbous

Yep, and even before this I assume Paulie (the driver) got hooked on drugs by Solozzo's smack through Barzini, who used it as leverage to turn Paulie into a rat. A lot of foreshadowing going on. Likewise Vito and his wife on separate occasions intervene when Sonny protests Carlo's mistreatment of Connie (don't interfere between husband and wife), even though Sonny (as we find out in the sequel) introduced them. I now return you to your regularly scheduled thread.

RayS likes this.
  22. I read the first page and skipped to the last page to post that quote. Good call. That iconic line set the tone for the whole series.

23. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

Most chilling line in Godfather II, Michael referring to Fredo:
    "I don't want anything to happen to him while my mother's alive."
    And of course Michael's facial expression while he "reconciles" with Fredo.
    Here's a re-edited series of scenes:

24. Joel1963

Joel1963 Senior Member

One thing that was never crystal clear to me was Roth's motive for wanting to kill Michael, other than "he thinks he's going to live forever."

25. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

And to tbis day, and after tons of rewatching, I still cannot figure out why Michael would tell Fredo that there is a plane waiting for them to get out of Cuba. Then kiss him on the lips with the "I know it was you, Fredo. You broke my heart." Why tell him the plane was waiting then frighten him away?

Dudley Morris likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.