Sweet - Any Love?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stax o' wax, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sixelsix

sixelsix Forum Resident

Sure. Tremendous band. I know the audio doesn’t sync up properly, but this is still great:

steve phillips and jon9091 like this.
  2. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

The American Desolation Blvd was one of the soundtracks of my high school days for sure. I love the singles from their albums and even some album cuts although those to me tended to be a bit 'samey' sometimes. Level Headed is a weird one over all... but still sounds great.

Undeniably though "Fox on the Run," "Ballroom Blitz" and "Love is Like Oxygen" are evergreens.

3. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I love Sweet. Well, I'm not a huge fan if the early bubblegum stuff...but their albums Sweet Fanny Adams and Desolation Blvd. were fantastic. Give Us A Wink was a notch below...and it went downhill from there IMO, but man they could rock. They did make some pretty critical errors in judgement I think. They changed their sound too much....got away from their bruising riffs. They also had some lapses in taste..."Someone Else Will" (which was on Strung Up as well as a 45) was just embarrassing.

Man at C&A likes this.
  4. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Horrible record!

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Why were they a poor man's Queen? They were having hit records years before Queen ever troubled the charts.

6. Siegmund

Siegmund Vinyl Sceptic

Loved them when I was six years old.

The early singles are basically Chinnichap bubblegum, but they have some great deep cuts and the later albums are an ear-opener to those who only know them for the 'hits'.

7. Rufus rag

Rufus rag Forum Resident

They where like Queen but the other way round.

Queen started as a great rock band and ended up being a mediocre pop band

The Sweet started out as a very good pop band but ended up being a great rock band

8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Hm, I actually didn't know that.

I guess my comment was more towards this: less ambitious arrangements but the same great harmony vocals. That's all I meant.

9. bare trees

bare trees Senior Member

I love the American version of Desolation Boulevard.

Andrew and steve phillips like this.
  10. Barnabas Collins

Barnabas Collins Senior Member

What with those high pitched harmonies, more like a rich man's Uriah Heep. ;)

I just love this band. I have a soft spot for the bubblegum stuff as well as the glam/heavy rock era. I think everything from "Sweet Fanny Adams" through "Off the Record" is pretty darn essential. I like "Level Headed" as well, but they sound more like The Eagles than Sweet at that point. And even the Brian-less records had some good stuff as well.

11. Django

Django Forum Resident

I only have a best of......

12. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Little Willie is a fun song, but weren't they forced into the bubblegum route on that one, with studio players? I thought that was why it always seemed to be left off their anthologies.

Anyway, I do like the band.

13. tmwlng

tmwlng Forum Resident

I remember getting a VA compilation CD for my 9th birthday which contained songs from the fifties through the nineties, and Fox on the Run was on it. It was the loudest, heaviest thing I had heard up until that point. I thought it kicked so much ass but I was often a bit apprehensive about playing it with decent volume, which looking back was quite odd as my mom was and is quite a big fan of the Sweet. In recent years I've gotten into them in a more straightforward fashion via albums and singles, and I enjoy them a whole lot. Their bubblegum singles - which I personally think, in some instances, could count as power pop - their glam singles, their hard rock/heavy metal anthems and their more experimental side all show that this is a great, cohesive unit. Mick Tucker is an awesome drummer, very underrated. Big fat beat all the way and crazy fills. Brian Connolly, a most versatile singer. Sad he went so soon. Bass and guitar also sounds cool but I always thought that Brian and Mick Tucker stood out the most.

The coolest thing I heard was, at parties in the 70's, all the guys who liked heavy metal and hard rock, all the girls who liked glam and pop, and more ordinary guys who just liked all sorts of music all pulled together and dug the Sweet. Everybody knew all the songs. And as my mom said, you didn't bring their singles to a party - you brought their albums. Again, certain bands that embrace multiple genres and feels often gets remembered for their hits if this versatility doesn't convince the general public. But for a short while in the seventies it did. At least around here.

14. gillcup

gillcup Senior Member

I really like their three U.S. albums, The Sweet Featuring Little Willy, Desolation Blvd and Give Us a Wink. The 1st two being U.S. compilations. I still have many mix CD-Rs with Sweet that I play all the time.

15. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

I only owned the original comp and loved it. Never owned any of their albums...

[​IMG]

Chooke likes this.
  16. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Some favorites other the obvious ones:

AC/DC
    I Wanna Be Committed
    Sweet F.A.
    Into the Night
    Yesterday's Rain
    White Mice
    Fever of Love
    Lost Angels
    Stairway to the Stars

Warren Hawk likes this.
  17. stax o' wax

stax o' wax Forum Resident Thread Starter

Hell yes!!!

18. KevinP

KevinP Forum introvert

Some Sweet/Queen connections:
    Mercury Paradise Audio Files »

(I have nothing to do with this page other than having it come up in a google search a few years ago.)

Nothing major, and the title of the webpage is a strain.

Heepster likes this.
  19. Toma413

Toma413 Forum Resident

My first concert. Eric Carmen opened, alone at the piano for All By Myself then proceeded to roll the piano off the stage and said to the audience "I know that's not what you came to hear". He brought the band out and played a mix of Raspberries tunes and songs from his first album. Sweet opened with Ballroom Blitz and put on a great show as well.

Heepster and jon9091 like this.
  20. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I would disagree with that, they were a great pop band and a very average rock band, that's why they sold tons of their fantastic singles whilst their (rock) studio albums sold dismally.

Man at C&A likes this.
  21. Whoopycat

Whoopycat Forum Resident

Wig Wam Bam, baby!

marmalade likes this.
  22. BryanA-HTX

BryanA-HTX Crazy Doctor

The US version of Sweet's Desolation Boulevard is pretty good. I definitely like Side 2 more, which has the heavier songs that they themselves wrote (just switch out the poppier version of "Fox On the Run" with the harder rocking version). The songs written by outside writers are just OK in my book, though "The Six Teens" is pretty good.

23. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

Surprised no one has mentioned their appearance on the Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer and (soon to be) soundtrack. Fox on the Run is predominantly featured and people are digging it.

Heepster, marmalade and longaway like this.
  24. Andrew

Andrew Chairman of the Bored

25. dlank

dlank Forum Resident

A big fan of Sweet since the mid 70's.
    Off The Record is my favorite.

Heepster likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.