J. J. Abrams HBO Westworld series

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by soundboy, Aug 30, 2013.

1. Bender Rodriguez

Bender Rodriguez RIP Exene, best dog ever. 2005-2016

Charlotte and Lee used Abernathy to complete their mission of smuggling a backup of all Ford's data out of the park so he couldn't destroy it all when the board forced him out.

2. misterdecibel

misterdecibel Bulbous Also Tapered

Delos is a carry-over from the films.

3. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

Ah. So is Dolores inspired from that?

4. Any thoughts on what was in the bag that Felix handed to Maeve as she was going to leave the park? Perhaps some weaponry in the event that she is discovered? Of course, she turned around and went back, so it is a moot point for now, but perhaps she has some secrets in there as well.

Edit: It appears that the bag had her "street clothing". One can't escape to the real world wearing an 1800's "madame" outfit or a lab smock.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
    Chris from Chicago and Vidiot like this.
  5. So the first five episodes after the pilot were largely a holding operation. The glacial pacing improved and, last night's episode, had a nice pay off. I will admit I didn't think they would do the reveal of William quite as they did but it was interesting the way it was handled although.

I do wish that they had used the time (aside from Bernard and Ford) to not be so repetitive with the Hosts and their experience as I think showing us the loops they live could have been more artfully and in less time but, to Nolan's credit, they did pull almost all the threads together for a solid seam on the first season. I will be curious to see where we go from here now that Ford has revealed information about the Maze.

6. I thought it was a iPad type of device to alter programming on herself and her "army". Nice reveal from Bernard about Maeve's previous experiences and what her programming was wheN She decided to leave. Arnold lives in all of these Hosts like a virus infecting them which leads me to continue to believe that he uploaded himself to the mainframe of Delos always running in the background.

I don't think so. Delos was established before William arrived as I recall.

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Ahhhhh. I get it!
    S W......!

Bender Rodriguez likes this.
  8. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

No, you misunderstand. I get that Delos is from the previous movies (now) but is Dolores, as the name of the character in this tv series, inspired by that? From the writers, I mean (a nod to the movies)?

Chris from Chicago and Vidiot like this.
  9. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

Would she know what street clothing would be appropriate outside? Even we in the audience have no idea what the "real" world is like - this could be five years in the future or a thousand years in the future. Heck, it might not even be taking place on Earth.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  10. Squealy

Squealy Forum Hall Of Fame

The thing I'm still puzzled about is... I thought when Dolores first encountered William and Logan, she was running away from the repeating narrative of her family being killed at the farmhouse, which she did because of the increasing consciousness she was experiencing and discussing with Teddy in the "present day" time period. Obviously this was misdirection and as things go along we see she was re-enacting a story she had gone through before... but why or how did she break out of her narrative on the earlier occasion?

(I'll just ask instead of rewatching ten episodes to piece it together.)

11. Well, it's not like she gave Felix a list and said "Get these things at Macy's".

She probably just recognized that she would need clothing that was period correct for where she was going. Or more correctly, whomever programmed her loop for escape built the request for a change of clothes into her narrative.

As an aside, I was a little dissapointed that there were no clues as to where the park is located.

12. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

if its good enough for Brando!

was this part of the reshoots hbo wanted? no one understands what the hell is happening, have Hopkins or Wood basically explain it to us over swooning music with flashbacks of flashbacks? good finale for he most part but again felt like 45 minutes of story was told in 90 minutes (or was it 3 hours? ;))
    ps I might be too slow for this show tbh....what was the point of the Delores/Teddy scene at the beach that the audience watched? If this is a narrative, how are the guests involved? or is a guest supposed to take teddys place? and im still confused about the timelines....I need a chart and graph

13. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

What next for J.J.Abrams
    "The Time Tunnel"?
    That would be right up his time portal .

14. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I don't know if it is inspired by Delos. Not convinced it would be. The name means "Sorrow," which is fitting for a lot of her situational character. And it's interesting that one meaning of "Wyatt" seems to be "She knows" . . . .

15. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

I thought it was a great finale to a great season. I liked the pace, I liked the exposition, I loved the production values (and especially the music).

16. Encuentro

Encuentro Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure that the narrative of Teddy and Delores on the beach was a red herring for Ford's true narrative at the conclusion of the episode.

17. 93curr

93curr Senior Member

GodShifter and BGLeduc like this.
  18. tman53

tman53 Vinyl is an Addiction

Great season finale. The whole self awareness narrative makes complete sense. I suspect that season 2 may be the final one.

19. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

ahhhh that's true, ps I loved the acting of Evan Rachel Wood through out, handled a lot of tricky scenes, Thandie was amazing as well.

chacha and Encuentro like this.
  20. No, actually I didn't. Logan mentions to William that "Delos is my company" before riding off naked in the sunset and the area they arrive in has a Delos logo as I recall because they own "Westworld".

I think it's just a coincidence or maybe the creators of the series named her that to reference how she "helped" create William the company that he would eventually own.

21. Arnold and, later, Bernard did point out accurately that the Hosts like Delores go crazy after they achieve their goal reaching consciousness drives them mad.

22. or not on the Arnold portion but it does make me wonder if Ford somehow survives in some other form like Arnold in Bernard.

Just a thought....is consciousness a form of madness?

23. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

According to the showrunners, the official answer is:

"Oh, he’s dead."
    ‘Westworld’ Creators on Why HBO Drama Won’t Return Before 2018 »

These are very good questions.

I think he said that so far, all the robots had gone crazy. But the hope is that eventually, they'd be able to hang on to their sanity and not go crazy. I think a key problem is that robot memories were very vivid and intense, indistinguishable from reality, whereas human memories are very distant and muted, more like an echo or a vague dream.

24. mdphunk

mdphunk Sharing in the groove

Or, at least, they tried to. The finale showed Charlotte telling Lee that he had to finish his task and Lee going down to the lower level to find that all of the deactivated hosts (including Abernathy) were gone.