Technics sl-1600 or Thorens TD 160 turntable

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by honestabe316, Dec 4, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. honestabe316

honestabe316 Analog Rebel Thread Starter

Quick question, hopefully some opinions...please keep in mind that i have a lot of mofi, nautilus, and AP vinyl so I'm interested in sound equally as the music....is a thorens td 160 going to give me better dynamics, tonality, etc..? I know arms and cart choices come into play as well. I like my sl-1600 but they aren't upgradable like a sl-1200....but the thorens is.....ive been looking at the td 160's at vinyl nirvana...they average around 1400 bucks and i want to maybe pull the trigger after Christmas but really want to know ill be happy

2. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

Oh man! I think the Thorens from Vinyl Nirvana will make you SUPER happy, I know it would me:)

Tim Irvine likes this.
  3. skimminstones

skimminstones Forum Resident

Not heard the Technics but i bloody love my TD160. Put a new plinth on it a while ago and it really tightened up the bass. Would always recommend it.

Although having just re-read your post 1400 bucks seems a lot to me. Not sure what they generally go for over there but thats roughly £1000 to me. I got my TD160 for £150, a new plinth was £75 and a new belt was about £25. Im sure the vinyl nirvana ones will be very good but that price seems a lot to me.

4. Raffy Raff

Raffy Raff Forum Resident

To be fair, Vinyl Nirvana's TD160s usually are upgraded to 'Super' status, and have new plinths, top plates, and tonearms (usually a choice between a Jelco or an OEM Rega). You might be able to pick one up locally (or on that auction site) for less, but with the Vinyl Nirvana, you're getting pretty close to as good as new. I've not heard anything bad at all about Vinyl Nirvana, either.

When I was shopping for a 'table under $2K, a couple years back I looked long and hard at the Vinyl Nirvana offerings, as well as new offerings from the usual suspects like Clearaudio (Concept), VPI (Scout, Traveler, Scout Jr.) and Rega (RP6). I ended up going another route (built an LP12 from various used and new pieces, which was a lot of fun, but required more time and hands on) but could see myself going either way here.

Manimal likes this.
  5. Mr.Sneis

Mr.Sneis Forum Resident

The TD-160 in stock form (mk1?) is likely going to be more musical in my experience. The SL-1600(mk1?) was a great turntable too, tracked like a champ, the auto start/stop were very nice features as well. I sold both and I miss both; I am still trying to find another decent condition and price TD-160. Have a stock SL-1200 now though.

6. Tim Irvine

Tim Irvine Forum Resident

The big knock I hear on Rega 202 is wiring, which VN addresses with Cardas. I think a VN version is quite a fine table (I have a VN 150). As I compare my current VN 150 to a TD 150 I bought new with a Shure M91ed, it really is a worthless comparison. Intervening years and different supporting systems. But I do love the VN 150 and imagine I'd feel similarly about the 160. Dave really does produce something worth hearing and, sorry to say, admiring visually. But when the lights are down and the music is on, it produces. The systems I have heard with the Technics table were not as all around good; so I won't dismiss them. Wouldn't be fair. I would like it if the world could agree on an affordable "reference system" - then compare one variable (source) at a time. I may create another thread on that subject.

Manimal likes this.
  7. High Fidelity

High Fidelity Well-Known Member

The TD 160 is OK but the TD321 is vastly superior mine is over 30 years old had one belt change still works like new sound is unbeatable IMO spending more is a total waste of money.

8. Manimal

Manimal Forum Resident

I think VN has one for 825 dollars.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.