Beck - Sea Change vinyl reissue coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jack, Sep 21, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jo66hn

jo66hn Forum Resident

Just got the reissued "Sea Changes" today.
    If I remember correctly the CD was actually pretty good sounding. Will have to do a direct comparison, but if memory serves me correctly this particular release does not sound noticeably better, nor worse than the original CD.
    I'd be interested to know what source files they used to cut the record with.

Naughty Chord likes this.
  2. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Yeah me too. Always good to hear your input anyway.. :righton:

danfury likes this.
  3. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

Probably the 'standard' 96/24 that a lot of record companies opt for these days...

4. Liggles

Liggles Member

Can anyone clarify the bitrate of the Odelay download? Just standard CD quality or 24bit?

5. gibtti

gibtti Forum Resident

Download (for UK/EU at least) is both 320 MP3 and 96/24 WAV

Chris

6. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

Finally....I'm a proud owner of Beck's Sea Change!
    :love:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  7. phish

phish Jack Your Body

Same here. Long time coming.

whaleyboy, Vinyl Addict and Marko K like this.
  8. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

I don't have the MFSL to compare to but I imagine it's probably better. The new reissue sounded nice through my LCD-2's and my Epos Epic 2's but it didn't blow me away or anything. There seemed to be some dullness especially to the drums. Still, a really good sounding reissue of an album I don't quite like enough to spend $250 on. No pressing defects to report, either.

9. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

This reissue is unlikley to be near the heights of the MFSL, but many would appreciate that this would be the case. This new reissue is more of an alternative to the previously costly original issue i would imagine....

Anyone compared the original to the new reissue?

10. andres lira

andres lira Forum Resident

Maybe i'm in the minority but i think the excellent reputation of its sound quality covers the fact that the record isn't THAT good really. Of course its better than most albums but i prefer several other Beck records than this one. For me its downbeat mood makes it feel much longer than it really is.

IanL and ParanoidAndroid like this.
  11. richbdd01

richbdd01 Forum Resident

The favourite for me. It is sombre but thats the intention. Im also fond of albums like Modern Guilt, The Information and Guero though.

scarfaceclaw and Bernard hansen like this.
  12. andres lira

I don't know, maybe the close resemblances of Paper Tiger and Round the Bend to songs by Serge Gainsbourg and Nick Drake put me off. Also i think that he did something similar but better on Mutations.

funknik and richbdd01 like this.
  13. What a beauty it is!!

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  14. I believe either Sea Change or The Who Live At Leeds arrives tomorrow. Hope its both!

aoxomoxoa and Vinyl Addict like this.
  15. ParanoidAndroid likes this.
  16. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Does anyone know if the Vinyl Me Please release of Odelay has the samemastering as this new reissue? I didn't notice any differences from the original album on my copy but I also don't know it as well as some of the other Beck records so I'm not relying on memory and haven't had time to do an A/B.

17. Jeremy B.

Jeremy B. Forum Resident

Merrick and Bernard hansen like this.
  18. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Thanks! Shame it's got the alternate mixes but I'll live.

19. ParanoidAndroid

ParanoidAndroid Forum Resident

Agreed. I remember when it came out, I found it very disappointing after the albums that came before it. I like it more now but overall I still feel Mutations is a much stronger album. When I put Sea Change on I often forget that it's playing as it doesn't consistently hold my attention. I guess I find it too homogenous sounding. I also think it's sad that Sea Change gets far more attention on this forum just because it's well recorded. Even the thread title gives the impression it's the only album in the reissue campaign!

20. andres lira

Well, i just gave it a listen again after sometime and it doesn't really do it for me. Of course Lost Cause is a beauty but over all the record is a bit same-y. It doesn't help that he uses the same style of singing all the way through. No falsettos as in Midnite Vultures or a more energetic delivery. Also, i know this is a break up record but it sounds as if he got stuck in the ''feel sorry about myself'' phase of the break up. Theres no anger, no desperation, just a quiet resignation. So in that sense its a little unidimensional.

Bernard hansen likes this.
  21. Dig...

22. BWichmann74

BWichmann74 Forum Resident

I just gave my copy of the Sea Change reissue a listen through and I'd have to agree with some of the earlier reviews. I do not have a MFSL version to compare to but based on the popularlity/demand of the MFSL version I'd say this new version is quite inferior as far as sound quality. The presentation is nice, solid gatefold, etc and the vinyl, while a bit messy (quite a bit of excess scrap on the outer perimeter), is dead flat. The sound is probably from a digital source as it doesn't have that "extra life" of a quality analog copy. I agree with a previous post that the drums are quite flat and a bit of information here is muted. This being said, I paid $21.50 for a 2LP version of this album and got my money's worth! There is a bit of noise here and there on my copy but I'm happy with the purchase. You get what you pay for and what you get here is worth the list price.

richbdd01 likes this.
  23. havenz

havenz Forum Resident

Reporting back after replacement playback... arrived from Amazon on Monday. Played this morning. No non-fill violent zipper rips throughout this one! Luckily it's perfect and sounds amazing.

I have the Mofi CD for comparison and this is different, but still quite good.

ryanward84 and Vinyl Addict like this.
  24. Stu02

Stu02 Forum Resident

How is it possible to say it is inferior sound quality when you don't have a copy of the MFSL to compare?
    I'm curious because that is magic that would be useful to me.

25. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

Who needs confirmation bias when plain old prejudice will do ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.