1968 Yardbirds sessions to see release?!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by YardByrd, Jul 21, 2016.

1. YardByrd

YardByrd rock n roll citizen in a hip hop world Thread Starter

from Mojo's Oct. 2016 issue, Page said: "I'm really keen to revisit the stuff I did in The Yardbirds," he says, mentioning the band's final sessions at CBS Studios in New York from May '68, and the ill-fated Anderson Theatre show from two months earlier. "I've been working on that. I'm in touch with the guys in The Yardbirds and I want to make sure that material comes out because those guys were so good and I really want that stuff out there, so let's see." [Phil Alexander]

fr in sc, Moonbeam Skies and Tommyboy like this.
  2. I thought the Anderson tapes were amongst those stolen from Page's house in the 90s by someone who befriended him solely to get access to his archives?

3. n.phelge

n.phelge Forum Resident

Thanks for the info - looking forward to it.

4. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

That would be my guess too, but he has used Kevin Shirley in the past, which would be less good...

Thanks for the quote!

5. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to it.

6. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

This would be a nice surprise! I've always thought that the Live Yardbirds LP performance was fantastic, but the stupid fake cheering (making it sound like the crowd went Beatles-nuts ever time a guitar solo started) ruined it.

fr in sc and Tommyboy like this.
  7. The live version of "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" from Cumular Limit is probably my single favorite Yardbirds recording -- and it blows away the studio version (imho). Can't seem to find it on Youtube, but I believe it was live from a German television show (am recalling the announcer intro-ing them in partial English and German.

8. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I will get whatever new version of the Anderson Theater comes out, but I'm gonna hold onto my original CD version from 2000. Gotta have those bullfight cheers!!

Moonbeam Skies likes this.
  9. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Hope they keep the old cover art. I always liked it:

[​IMG]

texron, Suncola, fr in sc and 12 others like this.
  10. Arnold Grove

11. What is the track list of the proposed release?

12. Arnold Grove

Not sure if that has been decided yet. Or if it has, it is not public info.

Pete Puma likes this.
  13. Arnold Grove

The original Live Yardbirds LP recorded at the Anderson Theater included:

The Train Kept A-Rollin'
    You're A Better Man Than I [into Heart Full Of Soul (not listed)]
    I'm Confused (aka Dazed and Confused)
    My Baby
    Over Under Sideways Down
    Drinking Muddy Water
    Shapes Of Things
    White Summer
    I'm A Man

But I believe there were two sets. Were both recorded?

And they might also have done "Happenings Ten Years Time Ago" and/or "How Many More Years" (I've seen them listed for this date, although they might have been from other stops on that tour).

pablo fanques likes this.
  14. I never heard their live album, but the track list looks interesting to me. Proto-Zeppelin!

15. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

From what I gathered, Epic just happened to record the Anderson theater show since the band was breaking up and they were in NY. Never knew there were two sets though! They played those numbers on other dates so it does seem odd that they wouldn't have played it here

16. Arnold Grove

Proto-Zep for sure:

Scopitone likes this.
  17. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

What was the story with 2000 Mooreland CD issue of this album? I remember it having an "above-bootleg" status for a little while. Was it semi-legit (even though it was not mastered from original tapes)?

18. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Good News. Hope it rightly puts cash in the lads' pockets.

19. Arnold Grove

I don't think it ever was "legit". But it was able to find some type of a legal loophole where it could be issued in the first place.

20. John Rhett Thomas

John Rhett Thomas Forum Resident

I believe it was only on the market for a couple weeks, though? I got my copy off Amazon straight away, but it wasn't long before it was taken out of circulation.

21. Arnold Grove

That probably was good enough to make a profit, especially as people were still buying CDs in big numbers back in the year 2000.

22. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

"Jimmy Magic Fingers' Page, Grand Sorcerer of the Magic Guitar." :)

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  23. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Forum Resident

What was "ill fated" about it?

Mark

24. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

I thought it was just the sound check that was recorded? "I'm Confused". :confused: :D

25. keifspoon

keifspoon Senior Member

A few days later the group went to Epic to hear the playback. "It was a total embarrassment," Jimmy recalled. "It was recorded on jet lag, and by a guy who had never recorded a rock band in his life.... He had one mike on the drums, which was unthinkable, and he miked the wrong cabinet for the guitar so that the fuzz tone, which gave us all the sustain, wasn't picked up." Even worse, the producer had tacked on bullfight cheers and sound effects of clinking glasses to make the concert sound "live." The Yardbirds forbade Epic to release the record.