The Who - My Generation Super Deluxe Edition box set coming

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by John Fell, Sep 13, 2016.

1. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

No.

VAT (Value Added Tax) is part of the price for customers located in the UK. It was correctly removed for TheOx as he went through the order process on amazon UK since he is located in the USA. It doesn't get added back in by US Customs once his package gets here, they have nothing to do with VAT tax charged in a different country.

Although I suppose in theory that US Customs could hit TheOX with some kind of import tax duty for the USA totally UNRELATED to what the UK VAT was, in my own 20-30 years of ordering music (or anything else) from UK, Europe, Japan, Canada, Australia, China, South America, any country at all, I have never once had US Customs seize something requiring some kind of US import tax be paid on it. I have heard of something like that happening to some customers of CDJapan though, but for those cases it was a mistake and cleared up through contacting CDJapan & having them sort it out.

kollektionist and lukpac like this.
  2. johnny moondog 909

johnny moondog 909 Beatles-Lennon & Classic rock fan

The replica memorabilia & packaging & book all seems very cool, but it's for the wealthy or people more into visual than audio.

I'd like to have it, but I'm not spending that kind of money on packaging. I did buy about 6 bonus tracks for around $10

hodgo likes this.
  3. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Just got in the Japanese box. Some initial impressions:
    1. Disc 1 My Gen mono lp does not sound as good as the Japanese 2 CD My Gen box. More filtering and sound shaping appears to have been added. High end on the 2 CD Japanese box sounds better and more natural to my ears
    2. Instant Party - the original mono Brunswick B side version is not included here (presumably the master is long gone). The liner notes incorrectly identify the alternate mix w/different lead guitar (first issued on the aforementioned Japanese My Gen 2cd box) as being the original Brunswick B-side
    3. Anyway Anyhow Anywhere - mono French EP mix is a needledrop and worse...a needle drop from an off-centered disk: virtually unlistenable.
    4. Although the 5 CD box does not contain absolutely everything from the period that has been previously issued, the exclusion of the alternate Anyway Anyhow Anywhere without backing vocals is a glaring omission. Guess we all gotta track down the Japanese 2012 My Gen reissue UICY-94802 to get that little sucker
    5. Primal Scoop does not include the Townshend demo of 'Kids Are Allright'......why? That demo should have definitely been included

If you already have the My Gen stereo download and My Gen Japanese 2cd box, there are arguably enough 'new' alternate takes and versions to justify getting the box. I myself liked the all new mono rough mix of Circles, the alternate guitar solo on Out In The Street and alternate vocal take of I'm A Man. But multiple alternate takes/versions of Daddy Rolling Stone? Not exactly 'must haves'

WhoTapes1 and Quadboy like this.
  4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, different tapes. The JPN sets use the masters while this uses copies.

owsley and IDwithnoE like this.
  5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Well, nobody but Pete knows when this stuff was recorded. He could simply release this stuff somewhere down the road, giving some date that is less than 50 years in the past as the original recording date. Don't know if that would fly but in theory seems like it would work.

6. hallucalation

hallucalation Forum Resident

3. Where i can find in track list? Can't see it
    4. It was only available on 2012 2 cd set from Japan? Not on 2002 deluxe?

7. owsley

owsley Senior Member

The French AAA is on disc 3, I think it's track 13. I should clarify that the track is not totally unlistenable, but you will hear a variance in pitch at the intro especially right before Daltrey sings, also at the end. I have zero tolerance for off-center needledrops.
    I have the original French EP and it does not exhibit any pitch issues. The sound of the track on the box set is a little cleaner than the EP but has the same thin sound. I contend it's a needledrop subject to some declicking and EQ.

The alternate AAA without backing vocals is not on any other Japanese edition of My Gen, only the 2012 reissue, according to resident Who expert Lukepac who knows his stuff. This info is mentioned on other threads on this forum,

8. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I think it's also on the original SACD.

9. owsley

owsley Senior Member

Didn't know of an SACD My Gen. What is the source and is it the ultimate sounding My Gen?

10. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Shvartze Shabbos and owsley like this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Why?

12. For the SACD layer which is what the OP was unaware of. The SHM-SACD too.

13. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It's only SACD, not hybrid.

As it's basically the same as the DE, my feeling is eh.

14. That's right, it is. The 2002 is single layer, in the Super Audio jewel case, I was thinking Tommy. What's you though on the SHM-SACD?

15. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I don't have the SHM-SACD, but I believe the 2012 SHM CD set is very similar sound-wise, and of course has more material.

16. funkydude

funkydude Forum Resident

However, the liner notes state that it's a 2000 mono mix. But I already suspected that that must be incorrect and that it's really a needledrop. Makes me wonder why they included a needledrop of AAA and not of the original version of "Circles".

dee likes this.
  17. oates

oates Forum Resident

That's how I read this as well - however, the law doesn't give anyone right of access or ownership to Pete's tapes, so maybe Pete's confident that he can keep them secure - apart from those that have 'escaped' over the years.

Billy_Sunday likes this.
  18. kolive

kolive 6070rock enthusiast

Other than the SACD version of AAA (no backing vocals)
    and 3 versions of Circles (orig mono, 2014 Stereo, two's),
    is there anything else missing from the 2016 set.
    I'm not counting the 2002 Deluxe edition which is almost all distinct from this set
    or the sim. stereo version of MG on MG very best of...
    or the sim. stereo of kids on meaty
    or the stereo version of I'm a man on two's
    or the sim st. version of can't explain onMG- very best
    or the sim st. version of AAA on MG-very best
    or the orig st. version of DRS on twos (and other sources)
    or the st. version on who's missing of leaving here and lubie
    or the st version on two's of heatwave (there are other versions associated with a quick one too).

You would think, that aside from the 2002 deluxe edition, they could have collected all the stray versions.
    There would certainly be room for them all.

That said, I'm quite happy with the set (which came a week ago now).
    I never bought the 2014 downloads, or the Jap. mono set, so this fills in
    a lot of gaps. Nice book too.

Oyster Boy likes this.
  19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The problem, as I understand it anyway, is that if Pete decided to officially release them later, they would immediately be in the public domain. That said, there may be some legal murkiness I'm not aware of.

20. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

I thought that if you release a 50+ year old recording it becomes copyrighted for the next 50?.........not PD.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

No, if you release a less than 50 year old recording it becomes copyrighted for the next 50. If it's already 50 years old, I believe it's out of copyright.

johnny moondog 909 and Quadboy like this.
  22. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

But it seems as if they've kept it simple/lightweight so they could issue the same tracks on vinyl.
    How many LP's would it have taken if the CD's had been full.........10?
    I wish it had been an all encompassing CD set of every alternate/outtake available........I certainly would have bought it.

johnny moondog 909 likes this.
  23. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

My first statement should indicate "...becomes copyrighted for the next 70". Details below:

Copyright in sound recordings - GOV.UK ยป

2. How long copyright in sound recordings lasts
    The length of term of copyright in a sound recording depends on whether or not it has been published (released) or has been communicated to the public (for example, played on the radio)
    • if a recording is not published or communicated to the public, copyright lasts for 50 years from when the recording was made
    • if a recording is published within 50 years of when it was made, copyright lasts for 70 years from the year it was first published
    • if a recording is not published within 50 years of when it was made, but it is communicated to the public, copyright lasts for 70 years from the year it was first communicated to the public
    • if a recording is first communicated to the public within 50 years of when it was made and is then published at a later date (but within 70 years of its first communication to the public), copyright lasts for 70 years from the year it was first published

24. owsley

owsley Senior Member

I assume the master tapes of the Brunswick 45 mono "Instant Party" and the French EP "Anyway Anyhow Anywhere" no longer exist or cannot be located. The original mix of Instant Party was not used for the recent Brunswick Singles box set either.