Which Dire Straits album you like most?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gold Rock, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

Self-titled.

One of those very rare "perfect" albums. There really aren't a lot... but it's one of them.

onionmaster likes this.
  2. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Making Movies.

Might be Brothers in Arms if it weren't so overplayed.

3. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

Love Over Gold is my favorite by far then S/T and Communique.

4. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

First one. Sounded authentic and not overpolished. Apparently this is their very first demo (and my album fave)

Zeki likes this.
  5. Their debut album just knocked me off my feet! I instantly became a fan for life and have continued with Mark's solo efforts. This debut, along with LOG and BIA are my 3 faves. This thread is somewhat timely for me as the other day I managed to see a copy of the 2009 BG remaster of Dire Straits and had to buy it. Haven't yet done a comparison to my standard canadian pressing, but this copy sounds bloody awesome! :)

[​IMG]

billnunan likes this.
  6. skateaway

skateaway Forum Resident

DS self titled is easily the most played album in my whole music collection and has been for a long long time, I just never tire of it. Like others that have posted here, it just blew me away when I first heard it and it still does.

Whilst all of their studio albums get regular airplay at my place, Communique probably takes 2nd spot these days. The opening two tracks in particular would have to be close to my favourite DS songs overall.

Zeki likes this.
  7. BayouTiger

BayouTiger Forum Resident

Tough call as I like them all a lot, though I tend to listen to Knopfler's solo stuff more these days. I picked Communique mainly for Once Upon a time in the West and Where Do You Think You're Going which are about my two favorites in the catalog.

Zeki and Gramps Tom like this.
  8. SonicBob

SonicBob Forum Resident

As much as I love the debut album, I went with Love Over Gold as I think, artistically, that album was a watershed for Knopfler and co. Telegraph Road, Private Investigations, the title cut and It Never Rains are just a creative triumph for the group and while it seems as a transitional release with two newer faces joining the group(Hal Lindes and Alan Clark) and one member leaving afterwards(Pick Withers), Gold remains an underrated, but critical success within their discography.

Bill Mac likes this.
  9. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Love Over Gold. A couple of songs on Brothers especially Money For Nothing which I never want to hear again is partly why I chose LOG.

Bill Mac likes this.
  10. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I voted for the first album but its an interesting group in that it is one of few artist where I really like all their albums that I have (through Brothers In Arms) so I don't have a resounding favorite among them. Another group like this for me is The Police.

Johnny Vinyl likes this.
  11. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

12. I voted Love Over Gold, but really this is a hard question. I like them all, with only Communique a considered weaker work (sophomore slump album). On Every Street is another favorite.

Gramps Tom likes this.
  13. tiger roach

tiger roach Forum Resident

The first album is one of my favorite albums by anybody.

I like them all, but I'm partial to the early sound with more guitar and less reliance on keys. So Communique is second favorite.

14. Yep! Same here! :)

moodyxadi likes this.
  15. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Over the years, I have gone back and forth between a few different titles. There was a time when the debut ruled, then I went through a phase where Love Over Gold was the go-to disc, and Making Movies also had its day in the sun. That said, Brothers In Arms is probably my present-day favorite; it is so well recorded, loaded with fantastically written songs, and has a great 80's vibe. It is easily one of the best 1980's rock albums.

winston32 and Johnny Vinyl like this.
  16. Superb album. And although I don't really do digital, the SACD of this is stunning!

17. gellie

gellie Forum Resident

Really surprised Communique faired so poorly ?

18. FangfossFlyer

FangfossFlyer Forum Resident

Their first LP, as it has that 'pub rock' sound and set the sound print for the band.

There after the LPs retained the sound print and whilst there were some excellent tracks they became too polished, lost that 'pub rock' sound and excitement for me. I say this as I liked the band and bought most, if not all, of their LPs at the time and still play them.

Richard

19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

I have some major love for Love Over Gold. Telegraph Road is a phenomenal song and recording.

Bill Mac likes this.
  20. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

The first with Love Over Gold a close second.

Bill Mac likes this.
  21. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

Making Movies...even more so if they'd ditched 'Les Boys' and replaced it with, well, anything really!

Bill Mac and GodShifter like this.
  22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

My favorite as well but "Les Boys" is absolutely cringeworthy.

Bill Mac likes this.
  23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

All good but I chose "On Every Street" for it's creative diversity, there I said it.

Gramps Tom, ffracer and Pete Puma like this.
  24. Have to laugh as I listened to all of the studio albums in order on a long road trip this weekend and was thinking, Communique is my favorite, but all of their albums are excellent. I could see why any of them would be a favorite to others.

25. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

Making Movies

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.