Alan Parsons - Tales 40th Anniversary boxset with 5.1 bluray.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Craig Williams, Apr 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

:realmad: Man, I can't wait to get my copy! I pre-ordered it and was supposed to be able to pick it up at a media market near me on release day (yesterday), but suddenly you can't get it anywhere in Germany and it I have to wait for it to finally be available.

I'm pleased to hear about the narration being included in the 5.1 mix, not too happy about the hair metal guitar. But I will see how I like it, when I get to hear it at last.

2. Craig Williams

Craig Williams Forum Resident Thread Starter

How would I make a stereo downmix of the 5.1??

3. Northern Lights

Northern Lights Forum Resident

Foobar2000 has a powerful and easy to use converting engine or you can use 'AudioMuxer'.
    If you already got the 5.1 files from the BluRay on your hard drive (e.g. via 'MakeMKV' and 'AudioMuxer'), you can use the right click convert menue in Foobar and select the output format (e.g. FLAC od MP3 or...) and if a downmix shall be done or if this is a straight stereo conversion from a stereo source.
    Or you can use the Tools menue -> Audio Conversion in AudioMuxer, where you can even specify the downmixing strategy.
    But, everybody please as always: Only use these tools to create files for your own private usage from a legaly bought source.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2016
  4. R E Faust

R E Faust Forum Resident

Hi

What specifically are you asking?

R E

5. Craig Williams

Presumably if the new guitar solo is on there.

It is, by the way.

JulesRules likes this.
  6. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

It is? Oh dear. Sounds like the 5.1 mix is much closer to the '87 version than the original. I was hoping for a mix based on the original version with just the narration included. Oh well, I'm still looking forward to it.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  7. Craig Williams

I think The Tell-Tale Heart uses the Arthur Brown vocal from the 1976 mix (1987 featured an alternate take) and Dream Within A Dream the softer drums so there are elements of both mixes.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  8. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

*WHEW* - that's a relief. The alternate vocal for Tell-Tale Heart was the one element of the 1987 mix to which my brain could never acclimate.

Will the separate blu-ray be available at places like Amazon? I have a gift card balance and a birthday that would make for a fortuitous purchase right now. :D

9. dougb222

dougb222 Forum Resident

10. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

11. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

As goofed up as it looks, it works for ordering the Blu ray. I put it in my cart and took it all the way to the end.
    Blow up the image of the back cover...it's the Blu ray ! UPC # 600753736296 IS RIGHT !!!

12. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

13. Myke

Mister Charlie likes this.
  14. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

dougb222 likes this.
  15. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

16. Myke

Maybe. So many variable per customer : Shipping / Rewards Points / Sales Tax, etc. each of us has to figure our cheapest route.
    Import CDs, I've decided to always go expedited now, get my stuff in 2-3 days, less chance of getting lost, or damaged. That choice adds another $4.98 !

Me, I went with the Pledge Music route, $25.28, already shipped.

17. formu_la

formu_la I'm not a robot

Not bad. I need to check how much it would be shipped to Canada. But I have some doubts about ordering it early, as AP said it will be "loud " or something like that.

Myke likes this.
  18. Craig Williams

Interesting fact - side 4 of the 45rpm vinyl has a lock groove mid-side separating To One In Paradise from the single mixes. Never seen that before!!

JulesRules likes this.
  19. Steve Martin

Steve Martin Wild & Crazy Guy

The single mixes aren't in the printed order either. The box/jacket say Doctor Tarr /Raven / Paradise, but it is actually Raven / Doctor Tarr / Paradise.

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  20. Linger63

Linger63 Forum Resident

So my BD copy of "Tales 40th'" arrived today and I had a listen.

Bear in mind that I am a relatively new APP fanboy and have NEVER heard this album before.........EVER.

Opened up with the 24/96 5.1 PCM audio version and listened to the entire thing transfixed, hypnotised and utterly amazed!!!!!!!!!!..........OMG

The "House of Usher" stuff was simply majestic.

After recovering I had a quick listen comparing the 5.1 PCM with the 24/96 5.1 DTS HDMA and preferred the former..........of course YMMV.

Quickly reconfigured my system for stereo mode so I could check out the 24/96 PCM 2.0 audio and listened to the entire thing again........and OMG again!!!!

All I can say is that I think this BD audio disc sounds absolutely sensational and IMHO there really is no "wrong" or "preferred" way to hear it.

Just depends on the mood you are in at the time!!!!

VERY.........VERY..........HIGHLY.........RECOMMENDED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I would be ecstatic if he did this with some other albums too.
    Eye In The Sky....... TOAFC......... I, Robot.....etc.........JUST TAKE MY MONEY

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  21. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

Hopefully my BDA will be in the hallway as I come home from work today. I got the shipping alert 2 days ago. I better warm up the gear as soon as I walk into the door. :cool:

Linger63 likes this.
  22. Steel Horse

Steel Horse Forum Resident

And there it is in the hallway.....

23. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Listening now. This ranks up there with any of my favorite surround mixes. I'll probably never get around to listening to the stereo mix or even bother to download it with the code included.
    WHY OH WHY won't old Jeff Lynne get on board with ELO 5.1 mixes??

$22.19 pre-order at Import CDs.
    By the way, I got it for about $26 shipped from Pledge Music, where it's now sold out.

Wingsfan2012, Chris C and fredblue like this.
  24. Myke

...still waiting from PledgeMusic...:yawn:

25. Bill Mac

Bill Mac Forum Resident

The Tales 40th Anniversary Blu-ray came yesterday and I'm listening to the 5.1 mix in DTS-HD as I type. It's an excellent 5.1 mix with a very immersive quality to it. Without the ability to post or do DR numbers the mix has excellent dynamic range IMO. I have it cranked up and there is a nice range from quiet to loud passages. The track The Fall of the House of Usher - Arrival is playing and it sounds excellent. Well worth the wait and cost for this Blu-ray :)!

The retailers listed earlier are a mix of out of stock and preorder. Bull Moose looked to be the only one with it in stock and it shows as available in only one store. Pledge Music shows the Blu-ray as "All gone!". I hope there is plenty of stock as it'd be a shame if the stand alone Blu-ray was a limited release.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.