Frank Sinatra on Reprise appreciation thread!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by McLover, Apr 4, 2006.

1. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

1988. From that same thread, where there were many wrong dates mentioned:

Sinatra - Jobim Complete Reprise Recordings »

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  2. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

Now I'm confused. By the 1980's the stereo master was messed up (Scotch 200 tape) and the first track was melted. This, I believe started the remixing rampage (even though the analog Dolby A safety was fine and still is, I had Kevin Gray use it on the 180 gram LP version that came out about 10 years ago). The remixes are easy to spot because of Sinatra's ad-libs left in by mistake but I have NO idea how many mix attempts were done after 1980. I thought there was only one done from the "A Takes" by Larry Walsh a few years ago but I guess there are more?

My original stereo Reprise LP cutting is so bad, so much D-Essing on it, I can't play it. No idea which cutting it is though, perhaps later (or earlier) cuttings are better.

Confusing...

McLover and kennyluc1 like this.
  3. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

What about the suitcase Jobim? What mix is that? My preferred version.

4. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

The 1988 CD bears no mastering credit, but I have just assumed it to be Lee Herschberg for some reason. (Anybody know?) I thought the 1995 "suitcase" just reused the 1988 tracks, but have not ever actually compared them. (Anybody know?) The 1998 CD mastering is credited to Lee Herschberg.

(I'll add this about Lee's mastering work on Sinatra CDs: He tends not to show his hand. By that I mean that it is extremely hard to tell -- in some cases I literally cannot tell -- if certain tracks are remixes or merely new mixes that match the original mixes incredibly well. I suspect that on some CDs he uses the original mixes, but then fixes some little things here and there via the multi-track tapes, skillful and slyly patching things together. I remember that on The Concert Sinatra I would swear that it's the original mix, but there are a couple of very subtle differences in just a couple of spots on the CD. Same deal with I Remember Tommy and, IIRC, Ring-a-Ding Ding. Since Lee was actually there at United/Western around the time of many of these sessions [and yes, I realize that The Concert Sinatra was not recorded at United/Western, but, IIRC, he was involved in the creation of the 1963 mixes), actually working on many Sinatra sessions, I suspect that if anybody could wield a little audio sleight of hand while staying off the listener's radar where these particular recordings are concerned, it's him.)

Larry Walsh was not in the picture until the Concord CD reissue, which is yet another new mix, replete with missed edits.

Bob F and Simon A like this.
  5. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

IIRC, that was the consensus winner awhile ago after the Concord came out. If I'm wrong, Bob will speak up, I'm sure.

6. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

As discussed several times in the past, it appears that as far as the LP goes, the mono mix is the way to go. Have a white label promo that is absolutely scrumptious sounding!

7. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I just compared those three CD versions of "The Girl from Ipanema." All have the long fadeout with the "ching-chings," so they are all remixes, different than the original LP. The 1988 CD and the 1995 suitcase are the SAME. The 1998 remaster is different; much louder and less dynamic at least (DR11 vs. DR13).

[Added:] I revise my earlier assessment. I prefer the 1988 CD (same as the suitcase), at least for this one track.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    kennyluc1, Simon A and MLutthans like this.
  8. MLutthans

Which, I suppose, raises two questions:

1. Is the entire album remixed, or just that track? On one CD version or both?
    2. Is the 1998 CD the 1988 mix newly mastered, or a full-on, then-new remix?
    licking machine.png
    The world may never know.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    kennyluc1, Bob F and Simon A like this.
  9. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Based solely on published track times, there may be two foreign compact disc compilations with the original mix of "Ipanema"—from 1987 in Germany and 2000 in Japan.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 7, 2016
  10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

11. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

I *thought* it was the same mix. Even though louder, I remember the 1998 CD sounding quite good, and compressed in a way that still left a nice, textured sound.

Simon A likes this.
  12. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

Not sure where else to post this, so reviving this thread again!

For unremembered reasons I thought FS-1011 was the last anxious Frank label, but I turned up this one yesterday.

[​IMG]

13. KTM

KTM Forum Resident

Watertown is by far the best. As a curiosity piece, I have a sealed Man and His Music-Part 2 :)

bartels76 likes this.
  14. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

I also have this LP on the "Anxious Frank" label as well. Mine is a Near Mint original complete with original inner sleeve.

Arkoffs likes this.
  15. Arkoffs

Arkoffs Remote member

This one has a nice cover and inner, the record is passable but not great. But I haven't found a clean one, ever... this is always trashed around here.

McLover likes this.
  16. McLover

McLover Senior Member Thread Starter

Record dealer friend of mine had the one I bought, paid $10 for it.

Simon A likes this.
  17. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  18. MLutthans

s-l1600-195.jpg
    Wow......that's quite the crop job on the cover art!

CBackley, D.B. and MMM like this.
  19. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Warner Brothers was good for that on cassettes. I bought that one for my grandparents (Mom's side) years ago. Not your copy though. ;)

rangerjohn and Simon A like this.
  20. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Why have I never heard Frank's cover of "Yesterday" before now? :hide:

Breathtaking. I have already played it three times this morning.

bozburn likes this.
  21. bozburn

bozburn Forum Resident

Don Costa had a great Sinatra debut.

MMM likes this.
  22. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

[​IMG]

Another "genius" piece of Reprise publicity. :sigh::shrug:

McLover, CBackley, Bob F and 6 others like this.
  23. shicorp

shicorp Senior Member

Me thinks you need "The Complete Reprise Studio Recordings" :)

Scopitone likes this.
  24. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Scopitone likes this.
  25. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Are you thinking of “Yesterdays” (1961 recording) from the album Sinatra & Strings? Different song than the Beatles’ “Yesterday” from the album My Way (1969) above. Both are Don Costa charts, but the earlier album was his debut with Sinatra.

bozburn and Simon A like this.