How often do your new records come in bad shape?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Strat-Mangler, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmpatrick

jmpatrick Forum Resident

...which is fine. However, you should get what you paid for, and that includes a mint jacket. Unless it's described as damaged, of course.

My feeling is that accepting a damaged jacket that covers an undamaged record sets a bad precedent. The retailer will eventually place no value on the jacket condition.

2. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Oh, I agree! I'm just cheap so the cover doesn't matter to me if I can get the record for less with a damaged cover.

3. Vinyl Addict

Vinyl Addict Forum Resident

The opposite of this is one reason I bought a Vinyl Flat. I've bought a few warped records at a sizeable discount at a couple local shops.

4. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I've gotten quite a few damaged records over the years, when I say damaged I mean unplayable, and lots that hopped and skipped. Just part of the analog game.

5. Complier

Complier Senior Member

Lately most new LPs have either been warped or off-centered. I'm starting to feel ok about buying just the CD and enjoying the music mastering be damned.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
  6. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

Same here. I'd say less than half the new LPs I buy these days are in perfect condition. Quite often the packaging is dinged up, the records have worn holes in the sleeves from bouncing around, or they're warped or scratched straight out of the shrink wrap. And on more than one occasion, I've been sent the wrong product altogether.

Chemguy likes this.
  7. Guitarded

Guitarded Forum Resident

Very rarely.

I have yet to have a Label / Distributor / Shop NOT make good on a replacement.

8. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

Me too.
    Actually I don't hear the mastering thing,my CD rigs sound is very comparable to my analog rig,but different.I can happily listen to either.

9. Champagne Boot

Champagne Boot Ain't nothin' gonna break my stride

It's gotten a bit better since URP in Nashville upped their production abilities, but there was a stretch there a few years back when about 1 in 3 new records I was buying was warped, dished, or somehow completely messed up. For the company that seems to have the death-grip on vinyl production in this country, their quality control is simply horrendous.

10. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

That gives me hope for the future!

How is the Whiplast OST on vinyl compared to the CD?

11. Arkay_East

Arkay_East Forum Resident

Interesting spread of responses. You would think one group was buying iron and the other was buying bruised bananas. :shh:

12. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker Thread Starter

The reason for the thread is I went head-first into vinyl and have ordered about 30 LPs. Keep in mind I'm in Canada and in order to save a *ton* in shipping, I have them shipped to a place near the border that I visit every few months to collect everything.

I'm afraid of going there, collecting my LPs, going over the border after paying taxes on them and discovering a bunch of them being in less than great condition. Then, that would mean paying extra shipping back, going back over the border, and paying taxes on the same LP for a 2nd time.

Over here, LPs can be much more expensive which is why I've gone through that in the first place, especially with the 20% off coupons found on some retailers' websites. Much cheaper than buying here, unfortunately.

It's great that Amazon is nice to deal with in regards to returns but I'm hoping that my 2/3 LPs being warped or scratched fresh out of the package isn't indicative of things to come when I collect my roughly 30 LPs. :(

13. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Definitely more than one in ten. The latest was the new Bob Weir, which actually had a cracked run in groove.

14. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

I couldn't tell you as A) Never heard the CD and B) my turntable sucks. I got it more as a nice collectible than to listne to. However, I'd imagine due to the way the music was produced, recording each note individually and piecing it together like one would do with electronic music, it would sound better digitally. But I'm not the person to ask.

15. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I don't know how bad, bad is. Unplayably so? Or just looking bad. I just got a new copy of a reissue of Nina Simone's A Very Rare Evening. It has scuffs and scratches, including one patch about 1/4" around that looks like someone took an Exacto knife to the surface. But it plays just fine. I thought about sending it back to the retailer, but thought again that at least it plays well and I'd be out the cost of the return shipping if I did return it.

16. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Some people here seem to have problems with everything 100% of the time. You can find some of the same ones posting in the misc forum with computer issues, complaints about bad service, hating their jobs and people they meet etc.

17. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I should add to my post that everything I bought from an online vendor was defective. The replacements I had them send me had the exact same pressing issues or had other manmade damage - chipped vinyl, scratched vinyl > serious deep scratches like done with a tool. I no longer buy from them and have had only one return thus far from all other vendors. It makes me suspicious that they were getting damaged or defective lp's and resealing them as "new." I point blank asked them how many other lp's were being returned and was told none - I was the only one with a problem - yet replacements sent to me were problematic. FWIW, I am not at all a fussy person who buys mostly used vinyl, and I've been buying records since the mid 1950's.

18. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Very rarely. I may have been lucky but I would say that I have had problems with less than 1 % of the new vinyl I have purchased. I deal mostly with a couple of very fine internet suppliers (Music Direct and Acoustic Sounds) who stand behind what they sell. My local shop is also excellent in that regard..

19. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

I'm definitely not one of those guys that when an album comes with a dented corner that probably happened during shipping, that I'm irate and demanding a full refund. I have had a few issues but nothing that a simple swap wouldn't fix or a partial refund for cover damage.

That being said, I have had very few problems out of the hundreds of records that I have bought.

Vinyl Addict likes this.
  20. Curveboy

Curveboy Forum Resident

My CD's always come perfect...

:whistle:

Arkay_East likes this.
  21. Faceman

Faceman Forum Resident

It has got to the point, when I buy a record in the the store, I open it in the store and inspect it. Bull Moose and Newbury Comics are fine with this.

22. AidanB

AidanB Forum Resident

Most stores that I know let you inspect the records before you buy. Honestly I don't know why they wouldn't unless it was something rare.

Faceman likes this.
  23. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

How is this one music wise? Better than the live Colpix stuff?

24. ebro

ebro The Green Manalishi

Anytime I buy new vinyl off of Amazon, it always comes first time around with a damaged cover so I return it and then usually the second copy I get will be ok, it's happened to me every time so I've gotten used to it. And the only time I buy new vinyl off of Amazon is if the title I'm looking for isn't at my local Bull Moose.

25. Izozeles

Izozeles Pushing my limits

It´s been more than an exception lately. And it´s not only cover damage, it´s the records are coming warped , off centered. I´d say one out of five are coming with an issue. There´s definitely a trend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.