Vinyl album sales outstripped digital downloads for the first time last week (UK)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Gaslight, Dec 5, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majorlance

majorlance Forum Resident

2. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

There are some downloaders that have switched to vinyl. I personally know some young people that have made this switch. Still, most are streaming now.

3. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

While you did have some vinyl as high as $10 (oddly which tended to be big catalog sellers) most new albums were $8 if they carried them. Around '88 most stores were getting rid of their vinyl. You could get many titles for $1 or less.

stetsonic likes this.
  4. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

If you knew Rough Trade you'd know that those types of comments actually play up to their customer base and not against it. So in this case he is using Marketing 101 :)

LivingForever and gary191265 like this.
  5. Sick Sick Phil

Sick Sick Phil Forum Resident

"$8 in 1988 were the equivalent of $18 in today's money." yeah and if you factor inflation in the total revenue of vinyl in 88 you would see it being larger than today

6. Mrtn77

Mrtn77 Forum Resident

No he's not. He's describing his day to day business : selling a couple of evergreen products to passing tourists and ageing nostalgiacs isn't what a real record store's about.

7. gary191265

gary191265 Forum Resident

It's Rough Trade, they trade on 'cool', plus they're the most expensive record shop in London...it ain't gonna affect their bottom line at all.

Metralla likes this.
  8. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

I've given up on it. The quality of new pressings is dreadful.

9. JJAM

JJAM Forum Resident

More profit to be made from streaming for the labels, for the reasons I specified earlier.

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

WTH are you buying? I just bought the new Kansas double lp, not a tick or crackle. Stevie Ray 45 rpm not a sound. Perhaps you need a record cleaning machine.

Gaslight likes this.
  11. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

The Stones and Kate Bush albums sold out last week. I thought that was either (a) evidence of vinyl's popularity or (b) a sign that record companies still don't understand their market (or both).

12. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

I keep saying: Vinyl isn't for everyone. Feel free to jump off the bandwagon any time (not you, of course).

Mabel Smith and Gaslight like this.
  13. Not exactly. I think some folks are going back to vinyl. I also think that this is a smaller subset of folks and that they are still streaming lie some are buying what they like on vi yo others are not and keeping to streaming.

14. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

15. peteham

peteham Senior Member

It has been frustrating, but some, a few. have been quite excellent.

16. stetsonic

stetsonic Forum Resident

I've probably bought dozens of LP's in the last couple of years alone and offhand I remember three single discs that had problems. One had a huge scratch on one side, clear lapse of QC. I got a replacement disc immediately, didn't have to send the old one back. Another recent one had a few heavy clicks, replacement is on the way. One LP had very mild surface noise for a couple of seconds in the end of one track. I didn't bother swapping that.

On the other hand, I still grieve over my copy of The Hellacopters' High Visibility which has a tiny defect causing a couple of pops right in the middle of the "vinyl only" bonus track. Didn't dare to return it right away because the first pressing was selling out fast (and I mistook it for a speck that could be cleaned). That's the only one I'm still PO'd about, 15 years later.

17. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

3 threads merged.

18. Jaffboy151

Jaffboy151 Well-Known Member

Here in the UK, vinyl (alongside cheap ****ty little plastic turntables) are obviously this year's in Christmas gift to get dad and the kids.. I'm sure it will result in some developing a lasting love for the format, but most will chuck the towel in by the end of next year when the novelty wears off.

videoman and PanaPlasma like this.
  19. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

Indeed, I'm afraid it will be a temporary (fashion) hype for many of them. Why spend 30£ on a record to play it on a Crosley or even through PC-speakers these days.

Especially when those kids get partners that want a clean house/appartment when things getting serious :) Golden times for discogs.

20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

This not true if one is purchasing hi-res downloads.

Vinyl Socks likes this.
  21. PanaPlasma

PanaPlasma Forum Resident

I bought almost every album from Neill Young available in hi-res for less than 5€ with Qobuz Sublime last week.

Many new releases (no backcatalogue are around 7,99€).

With their special actions you can literally grab many classic albums in hi-res for less than 5€.

22. Brendan K

Brendan K Forum Resident

:wave:

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Not here with HDtracks.

24. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

Or that this is a pattern of some kind. It was one week's worth of sales.

The interesting tidbit is that, since the first download sales started getting recorded at least, this is the first this has happened in the UK. Obviously going back 15 years+ ago, the numbers were different. As in zero for downloads.

drasil likes this.
  25. Gaslight

Gaslight ⎧⚍⎫⚑ Thread Starter

There's been other threads on this, but I don't have this problem....at least not at the levels others do.

Maybe it's the LP's I buy. That's not to say I haven't gotten a few duds from time to time, but it's the exception more than the rule.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.