The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Maybe this?
    Grateful Dead Live at Springfield Civic Center on 1985-03-25 : Free Streaming : Internet Archive »

I am interested in hearing the best version of these Springfield shows. I missed seeing them by just a few days. I was at Nassau shows right after, and also Providence and Philly shows on that tour.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

Heavy sigh. I tried that. No dice.
    That link works, but it sounds no different from the version I recommended, but thanks for chiming in. In any case, listening to this Sugaree a few times won't hurt anyone and just might cure what ails ya.

3. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Please explain what you mean by "moment."

:tiphat:

4. Archtop

It ranges from 13 seconds to four hours. Allow me some liberal license unless you demand certainty in the world of subjectivity. I have a very distinct memory of my friend and I looking at each other completely slack-jawed during Jerry's third solo on the 3/25/85 Sugaree as the band spiraled in and out of synch with utmost precision. Work out the times from whatever version you choose. Point being isn't my definition of "moment," it's my pointing out of greatness.

5. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

I figured out a while back how to create a link out of an Archive web address.

1. Type out the date of the show, the venue, whatever in the comment box.
    2. Highlight what you just typed.
    3. Click on the little chain link icon in the editor menu (next to the bold, italics, underline, etc.)
    4. Insert link from Archive in the dialog box.
    5. Click insert.

Voila!

6. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Sheesh. It was a joke. I wasn't demanding anything. Sorry if it came across the wrong way.

7. DrLunchbox

DrLunchbox Forum Deadhead #1604

Mine arrived a couple of days ago. It's beautiful music

8. Archtop

Sorry man; you live in Hawaii and I live in Boston. Different cultures; I'm very Type A for the most part. But consider that 3/25/85 was 31.5 years ago for me. In retrospect, the whole show was a moment. Then again, the last minute of the 6/18/83 Dew was a moment as was the six seconds of counterpoint from Phil and Jerry during Scarlet from 6/18/83 also a moment. So, I get your point, but "moment" means whatever it needs to mean in a forum that's leisure-related.

Sorry to snap at you.

9. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

No worries. I've been snapped at much worse by far less interesting people in my life.

But sometimes when you post your precise segments (like where the clams are in the 5/22 Dew, or whatever) I actually write it down and go listen to hear what you are talking about.

10. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

The burdens of being a 'Grateful Thread' celebrity.

I suppose you have to ask yourself sometimes if it's worth all the glory.

@davmar77 probably has a story about it...

11. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I think you mean, "what a sempiternal w#nkfest."

rockinlazys, warewolf95, JRM and 2 others like this.
  12. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Please explain what you mean by "sempiternal w#nkfest", I just said to myself, as things got really freaking meta around these parts. Back on topic, Sugaree-wise, all of the examples mentioned are great ones. I'm partial to 5/19/77, 5/22/77, and 10/17/83, but mainly because I've listened to them a ton over the years. I remember being very impressed by the Springfield '85 one after Archtop mentioned it a year or so ago. Alaska '80 is another go0d one that hasn't been mentioned yet.

13. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Maybe we should email the editor of the Village Voice.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and ianuaditis like this.
  14. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

Ah yes, the date thing...I always type out the month first, but unlike americans I put the year first and not last.

Enjoying Sugaree 83-10-17 right now.

Edinburgh is lovely city by the way. It looks so gothic with all the old sand stone buildings turned to black

15. US Blues

US Blues Undermining Consensus Reality

I am tickled that the two shows (18 June 1983, 25 March 1985) at which you experienced your top two "moments," were both shows I attended as well. I had a moment in Springfield on 24 March 1985 during Cumberland Blues, when I literally thought Jerry was playing banjo on-stage.

PS- 25 March '85- the high-pitched noise someone mentioned was coming through the PA system that night, particularly during the second set.

PPS- Does anyone else remember the electronic parrot in the cage behind the drums? They'd turn it on during Space on occasion, and there would be a loud chirping sound in the building.

16. Spinning wheel

Spinning wheel Forum Resident

I liked her take on Phish tunes, looking forward to picking this one up as well.

warewolf95 likes this.
  17. ianuaditis

making use of the 'this date in history' on the Archive, I find 12-7-1968, Bellarmine College (Kentucky), one of the only live performances of 'Rosemary.'

The setlist also has 60s rarities 'New Potato Caboose' and 'He was a Friend of Mine,' but there are some frustrating cuts in the tape.

18. JRM

[​IMG]

"Anthem Of The Sun is the most satisfying of the first three to me, because we had the almost impossible task of making an album from very little material. The way it went very tight from the compositional standpoint was pleasing, and it's very coherent – I can still follow it all the way through - but still we all knew that it was 100 per cent noncommercial, and I certainly don't like the way it was mixed.

I know we could have done it better, but we simply didn't know how. It was strange because we took stuff from three studio sessions and eight or nine gigs and put it all together without thinking of levels or equalising. We just did it from a musical standpoint, which is not enough." - Phil, 1970

19. ianuaditis

IMO the quintessential psychedelic album. The walls start melting every time I put it on.

Looking at the cover now, and this never occurred to me before. Are the 6 faces the band members?

20. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

I always thought so, although there are maybe one or two that are less successful at resembling specific members than the others. [Edit: although I have no doubt they successfully capture the energy fields seen by Bill Walker.]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  21. JRM

Yes, starting on the right, clockwise, Phil, Pigpen, Mickey, Billy, Bobby, Jerry.

"Sometimes I've been asked who is the 'beast' in the center - that's my left eye."

"The way the faces came about was by going to a concert and getting psychedelicized and focusing on a band member and relating to the imagery like an energy field. It was at a time when I could listen to the music and actually see the music sort of roll through the room, to the point where I'd actually have to step over it, or get knocked over by it. I tried to perceive each person's subtle energy patterns. I didn't contrive it. I painted what I saw." - Bill Walker

warewolf95, US Blues and ianuaditis like this.
  22. ianuaditis

I never would have gotten most of those. I could see pig and mickey, that's what made me think of it. I thought 'phil' was Garcia, but of course, that painting is from before Garcia wore a beard all the time!

warewolf95 likes this.
  23. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

Listening to an AUD for 12/7/81 Des Moines. The voices are a little distant, but the guitar sounds very nice. As with most audience tapes, the ear adjusts pretty quickly. This is 100x better than a 1981 Springsteen AUD that I played yesterday or the day before.

I decided to go with Set 2, since I know me. I usually only listen to a set at a time before switching to something else. (and at some point I would like to get back to that 1991 Pure Jerry from the other day - plus, I have a copy of 3/25/85 downloaded, thanks to Archtop's suggestion. #DeadWorldProblems)

Set 2

Mississippi Half-Step Uptown Toodeloo ->
    Franklin's Tower ->
    LostSailor ->
    Saint Of Circumstance ->
    Jam ->
    Drums ->
    Space ->
    Truckin' ->
    Black Peter ->
    Sugar Magnolia

24. ianuaditis

same intro, this time by Phil, before "Next Time You See Me" on 12-7-71 at the Felt Forum. Since Phil doesn't sing, I wonder if (and how) he will retaliate.

I'm only on the next song, "Tennessee Jed." This is not usually one of my favorites, but I love these Fall/Winter 71 versions. They have a faster tempo and are a bit punchier than later versions, which I really enjoy.

warewolf95, Crispy Rob and hoggydoggy like this.
  25. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What I certainly don't like is the remix Phil did in 1971.

warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.