Nostalgia for cds is beginning

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by clhboa, Dec 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

I am glad I stopped trying to discard my jewel boxes and put them in sleeves after doing it to about 100 or so...I opted to shove them in file folder boxes I bought at Staples and hide them in my attic--not exactly "climate control" but hasn't seemed to mess them up yet. I'm gonna be rich!

crooner likes this.
  2. parman

parman Music Junkie

They have been the prominent media for 30 years and they never have gone away so I don't understand how anyone can feel nostalgic about them either but what does being old have to do with anything? :confused:

pantofis, Ghostworld and Suncola like this.
  3. Mike Campbell

Mike Campbell Forum Resident

Not always, but many times, if I am going to spend some extended time in a car, I quickly burn a copy, so I don't have to take the original into the car...a bit of a hassle, but in the long run, it's worth it...

PhilBiker and Dennis0675 like this.
  4. Schoolmaster Bones

Schoolmaster Bones Poe's Lawyer

Without seeing the email the OP is talking about, we can only guess.

Rhett likes this.
  5. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

How funny! The Tower Records I used to frequent in North NJ is now also a Goodwill! I am sure some discs I bought there reappeared there after I weeded out my collection once...

gss and crooner like this.
  6. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

All the Best Buy stores I have been in recently have DRASTICALLY cut their CD selections. You'll find 1 or 2 titles at most from major artists...forget anything more obscure

7. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Believe it or not, that particular Goodwill still has sealed CD releases marked with the Tower records stickers on them. Unfortunately all I could find was some double CDs of opera, of which I am not a big fan!

tmtomh likes this.
  8. Even then I think folks will do what I do--most of the time I rip the vinyl, tape, CD or SACD (or sometimes BD) for listening in the car and playing through my iPhone.

It's A handy way to listen without risking damaging stuff.

It's not just CDs--they have cut Blu-Ray, DVD. They have the latest most popular releases along with a lot in their bargain section.

They focus on big ticket (or bigger ticket) items and phone accessories. Larger market for the latter I suppose. I still occasionally go in there for the latest Blu-Ray or 4K release but it's such a mess sometimes finding something I usually get it online or have them pull it for me before I go.

Rasputin's and Amoeba are still doing pretty well though.

9. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Which is very sad because their selection was decent a decade ago. Their SACD section was good also.
    Barnes & Noble also ditched their CD sections on many stores over the last few years replacing it with a toy section or a DVD section. Don't miss those too much as they were usually overpriced, ditto for the now defunct Borders...

10. Stone Turntable

Stone Turntable Independent Head

Nothing wrong with CDs as 16/44 music delivery media. It's the horrible clattering plastic junk of the scratch- and crack- and hinge-breakage-prone "jewel cases," and the uglifying miniaturized shrunken horror of the tiny booklets and album art as cheap itty-bitty design objects, that kill any hope of enduring nostalgia.

The sound of a tall stack of CDs toppling over and crashing in an insectile apocalypse of loud explosive demolition... Good times.

11. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

The Jewel Box was product of the times, when cassette was even overcoming vinyl as the top selling format. Having a plastic case made it more appealing to the masses.

As a teenager in the early 80's I remember drooling over CD's and their cool looking cases when reading Popular Mechanics. So they sure looked appealing to me!

Jrr, L.P., davers and 1 other person like this.
  12. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Yeah, as much as I love my records, I can't figure out a way to play them in my car.

13. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I guess that would be because the "nostalgia" comes from doing it a long time ago. To have done anything a long time ago, you have to have some years behind you. A 20 year old isn't buying a CD today and waxing poetic about the old days. If you are having feelings of nostalgia while buying a CD, you might be in your 50's and thinking back to when you were young. I though it was pretty straight forward but thanks for the bold letters.

snowman872 likes this.
  14. jjhunsecker

jjhunsecker Senior Member

Even up to about 2 years BB was fairly decent in their selection...but everytime I enter a store, the section has shrunk !

Ironically, in NYC now, Barnes & Nobles is one of the FEW places left with a sizeable and varied CD selection. Unfortunately, you are correct that they are overpriced, and the selection does not compare to the great stores we used to have in New York that we've lost in the past decade

DiabloG, jupiter8 and crooner like this.
  15. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Unless you are Mohammed Ali, of course! :)

[​IMG]

16. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

[​IMG]

Now the Long Box is something to get nostalgic about.

Dodoz, jfeldt, Duophonic and 13 others like this.
  17. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

Tower Records in the Sports Arena area here in San Diego was "THE" place to be. I miss it a lot. Although it was certainly not cheap. But found many treasures there over the years!

18. Mike Campbell

Right on......

19. crooner

crooner Tube Marantzed

My first longbox (flame proof suit on!):
    I thought the disc was defective because all songs sounded the same to me :)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  20. xcqn

xcqn Audiophile

I can see how cd's could be nostalgia. Most youngsters have never handled/played or even seen a cd. Mp3 files is what they grew up with.

For them cd's would be a thing of nostalgia. Heck, it's nostalgia for me too. I parted with cd's completly for ten years or so.

Somehow we humans always find our way back to the things we enjoyed growing up. Cd's might be sought after in the future.

LivingForever and tmtomh like this.
  21. tmtomh

tmtomh Forum Resident

I love CDs and have been on a slow but steady renewed buying kick ever since I joined this forum in 2010 - repurchasing some of the CDs I sold off in 2000 when ripping became a thing and I got my first CD burner, and also buying better masterings, new music, reissues, and so on. I also feel nostalgic for them - like @crooner , I remember how high-tech the jewel cases and format seemed, and it oozes '80s retro even today.

But all that said, I'm skeptical of CDs having a resurgence like LPs have. I'm sure there will continue to be a small collector's market for early/vintage and rare CDs, just like there already is now.

But more broadly, I just don't see today's 15 year-olds buying vintage '80s/early '90s CD players and digging through crates of used CDs 3-10 years from now as young adults. The main reason is that the CD medium is not nearly as different from digital music as LPs are. CDs are digital rather than analogue; CD players are a non-contact medium with the actual playback mechanism hidden from view and not as mechanical as turntables; CD art is small and most CD "sleeves" are plastic (jewel cases); and the difference between CD audio and lossy mp3 or AAC is not nearly as important to most people as the difference between digital and LP/analogue.

For all these reasons, I see CDs being much more of a niche collector's item in the future, more akin to 8-track tapes or cassettes.

drasil and crooner like this.
  22. mbrownp1

mbrownp1 Forum Resident

I never stopped buying CD's. I've also never gotten rid of any of my CD's.

23. Mike Campbell

I still have my 800 or so, Lp's.....and a couple thousand Cd's.....Each has it's own good and bad points.....A vast majority of my cd's will never be available on LP....for obvious reasons....and to me, those recordings are priceless...and in many cases, historical.

Dodoz, crooner and tmtomh like this.
  24. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

I was told by a record/cd store owner that the town's college kids were buying cds because the price of records were now too expensive. The escalating price of records will without doubt refocus the attention to cds.

Dodoz, Galley, LivingForever and 5 others like this.
  25. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

I love CDs. Currently spinning the original cd of Rush-Power Windows.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.