Listenin' to Jazz and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Lonson, Sep 1, 2016.

1. Second or third version here too. I started picking these up because they were discounted, available, and I was curious.The ones I have impress on the whole. The Thad Jones sounds superb on my system, though whether you think it worthwhile to investigate is not a question I can answer.
    I didn't rush into buying these, but I'm in the Japanese market, and I tried one at a discounted price-the lesser-known Sonny Red Out Of The Blue. I already own a stereo Toshiba pressing but I feel the mono effort has more presence. Very quiet too. I've picked up a few others since then including all the Wayne Shorter titles. The sleeves and pressings are impeccable in terms of detail, better than Music Matters, although MM score with previously unseen photos. Music Matters issues are $60 plus in Japan so $30 for one of these at local prices seems a good deal monetarily. I don't think your circumstances are similar when you factor in geography, exchange rates/import duties and availability. If you can get one from the 1500 series at a discount I'd say go for it.

2. I think the year is 1956. the movie marquee across the street is showing Lowell Thomas's "Seven Wonders Of The World" in Cinerama. That film (per IMDB) was released in 1956.

3. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Well son of a gun...I misspoke and it's too late to edit. Those Muse LPs are available at pretty good prices, but no they don't look like they made it to CD. He's also on some Junior Cook titles from the same label which also look pretty interesting. Scrolling through Muse on Discogs...lots of interesting titles that have remained rather obscure.

4. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Tony Williams Lifetime, Emergency! Last night. Finally picked it up early his year after hearing about it for ages, and of course it's as good as I'd hoped. The vocals surprised me the first time around, but now I know what to expect.

rxcory, Marzz and Daedalus like this.
  5. WorldB3

WorldB3 Forum Resident

Was Playing sides 3-4: Lee Morgan - Live At The Lighthouse

[​IMG]

Love Neophilia on this. Nommo is a tricky little tune and Lee's solo is really fascinating, need to look into other compositions by Jymie Merritt.

lschwart, rxcory, Marzz and 10 others like this.
  6. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues Thread Starter

Bunch of driving today and tasks for Dad and some work in my storage unit. Feels so good to sit down and listen and this one has such good sound quality.

[​IMG]

7. rockinlazys

rockinlazys Forum Resident

Gary Burton Quartet- In Concert(Recorded live at the Carnegie Recital Hall) RCA 1968> Cherry Red Records 2012 cd

Gary- Vibes/ Larry Coryell- Guitar/ Steve Swallow- Bass/ Bob(by) Moses-Drums

I always play this a few days in a row to allow for total immersion! Great psychedelic cover to add to the overall flavor...

jiffypopinski and Crispy Rob like this.
  8. jiffypopinski

jiffypopinski Forum Resident

Les McCann - Invitation To Openness

[​IMG]

Such a slooooow, narcotic, viscous flow of cosmic funk-jazz! Les McCann's mightiest achievement!!!! :cool:

9. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

Great! Thanks for the info. I'm usually in there twice a week.

beverett likes this.
  10. Six String

Six String Senior Member

Is this before his famous Monterey Jazz Fest recording? His appearance and the label tells me yes.

11. Lonson

Yes, He was signed to Roulette before Columbia.

Six String likes this.
  12. Aggie87

Aggie87 Gig 'Em!

How is the new End of an Ear location? I haven't been since they moved.

13. Aura

Aura Forum Resident

It is a more spacious location, though I have tended to avoid peak hours there and at Waterloo because I like looking through the incoming used bins first, without waiting or shuffling between 3-4 people. The downside for me is getting back on 290 W from their new location. Even though the new location borders 290, there is no entrance to the highway proper for several intersections when heading west. It's faster to backtrack back to S. 1st. Or, go up Lamar to Waterloo before heading back home. :^) The other general downside is they really, really need more/better lighting. I'm sure it will be sorted out in time.

Right after the new location opened, someone dumped a huge and mega rare and cool psyche collection. There are still several choice titles on the back wall.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
    beverett and Aggie87 like this.
  14. GruvyWade

GruvyWade Well-Known Member

Someone was asking for more contemporary choices... I don't listen to many contemporary artists, but I am streaming this tonight, and it is excellent. 12 baritone Jazz. Yes, that's right, (drumroll...) a Baritone Duodecet... although sometimes they perform as a mere Dectet... and of course there are 14 pictured here... I'm streaming it via Google Music, the only place I have seen the CD for sale is cdjapan

Highly Recommended:
    [​IMG]

scompton likes this.
  15. hockman

hockman Forum Resident

Thanks for that. I do travel to Japan so I can pick some up next time. I am beginning to see them more often in the used market. Music Matters are pretty good but they are not what some make them out to be. Personally I prefer the originals but some of the Japanese pressings are very nice as well.

fastskillfulinjured likes this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Here's one that I bet that none of you have, but I could be wrong. As far as I know, this is Tatro's only jazz album. Although he started in music as a tenor player, he appears here only as composer/arranger of the eleven compositions. At the time this was issued in 1956 he was working as a supervisor in an electronics factory. His later career has included classical composition, composing for TV & teaching. "Maybe Next Year" from this album was recorded by Art Pepper on 'Smack Up'. The group here is an octet with Stu Williamson (tp), Bob Enevoldsen (valve tb), Joe Eger or Vincent De Rosa (French horn), Lennie Niehaus or Joe Maini (as), Bill Holman (ts), Jimmy Giuffre or Bob Gordon (bars), Ralph Pena (b) & Shelly Manne (d). Producer: Lester Koenig. Engineer: John Palladino. Recorded 9/13/54, 4/4/55 & 11/1/55, presumably (since Palladino was the engineer) at Capitol's studios on Melrose in L.A.

rxcory, Marzz, Starwanderer and 2 others like this.
  17. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

Just finished listening to Anthony Braxton Quartet ‎– Ao Vivo Jazz Na Fábrica. One of my favorite from this year.

[​IMG]

Marzz, jay.dee and alankin1 like this.
  18. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

The new Mary Halvorson album has been mentioned a few times. There are three other Firehouse 12 releases from this year that I really like

Taylor Ho Bynum - Enter the PlusTet
    [​IMG]

Nate Wooley - Argonautica
    Nate Wooley, Ron Miles, Cory Smythe, Jozef Dumoulin, Devin Gray and Rudy Royston

[​IMG]

Ingrid Laubrock - Ubatuba
    Tim Berne, Ben Gerstein, Dan Peck and Tom Rainey
    [​IMG]

Marzz, Starwanderer, WorldB3 and 2 others like this.
  19. Lonson

I've had this for years . . . bought it because of Williamson and Enevoldsen in my big West Coast Jazz discovery of a decade or more ago. Nice date!

rxcory, Marzz and vanhooserd like this.
  20. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have several of the Columbia LPs-but no Roulette. I may have mentioned before that I saw him and his band at a celebration of the Summer of Love in Golden Gate Park quite a few years back. With one child in the stroller and the other in a back pack carrier.

Lonson likes this.
  21. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Boy, I haven't heard this record in nearly 40 years. I don't remember how I got a copy of it in middle school -- maybe it was part of a pile of records a local woman gave to me in '76, mostly rock (Leon Russell, Jethro Tull, Van Morrison, Lee Michaels) -- but I listened to it a ton back then. I'm going to have to dig up my old copy.

Daedalus likes this.
  22. Lonson

New budget priced SHM-CD.

[​IMG]

I remember reading (original liner notes?) how Monk seemed to not take too much time working on these songs and how surprising that was to the writer Doesn't surprise me, Monk was a long-time Ellington admirer and learned quite a bit from the study and Ellington himself knew that. I love this session. Three jazz masters creating music that works on so many levels and really rewards close listening.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  23. Bobby Buckshot

Bobby Buckshot Heavy on the grease please

Was on a Johnny Hodges kick last night while doing some work and found this gem:

24. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Ballin' The JackThe Big Head (Knitting Factory Records)
    — With Matt Darriau - alto, tenor & clarinet; Andy Laster - bari sax and clarinet; Frank London- trumpet & mutes; Curtis Hasselbring - trombone & mutes; Ben Sher - guitars; Joe Fitzgerald - bass; George Schuller - drums; plus Anthony Coleman - Hammond B3 organ
    [​IMG]

Lively interpretations of compositions from swing and early post-swing eras by Duke Ellington (5), Benny Goodman, Glenn Miller, Coleman Hawkins, Gene Ammons, Ledbelly plus some originals in the same spirit. A fun listen.

25. beverett

beverett Forum Resident

End of an Ear's new location is the best thing to happen to far south Austin in a long time. Radio Coffee, Veracruz breakfast tacos and End of an Ear really is the perfect way to start your Saturday morning.