Leave It To Beaver: The Complete Series (Shout Factory)

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by PaulKTF, Jan 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

have you seen the DVD set? It's fabulous.

Drifter likes this.
  2. Michael

different environment...

3. Michael

yea fairytale life in the 50's as most would say...It wasn't fantasy...

4. Michael

the way things are going I would not wait for them to go OOP or you will have to deal with the Sharks on Amazon & Ebay!

5. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

That sucks... it's been years since I've seen the show, but I definitely would've noticed a screw-up of that magnitude. :sigh:

6. Drifter

Drifter AAD survivor

Don't you mean Shout! Factory, not Universal?
    I had already bought the first 2 seasons that Universal had put out, which had the intros in the right place when the Shout! Factory versions came out, thus it didn't affect me. :) Never did compare the quality though.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  7. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

It's a freaking TV show. Doesn't make them any less enjoyable, nothing is out of context, not even noticeable for someone watching the show for it's entertainment value, rather than to critique it online with a hundred other geeks. Thank God some of us can remember a life like the one shown on this series.

showtaper, Ginger Ale and jsayers like this.
  8. AKA

AKA Senior Member

That's what I thought before I saw the Dick Van Dyke Show Blu-rays.

EVOLVIST and Michael like this.
  9. Michael

I guess if one can afford BR I see no problem, but me personally I usually have no problem with the DVD sets that look fabulous...

Grand_Ennui and jsayers like this.
  10. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

I would call it a screw-up on both parts. I think Shout Factory doesn't have anybody on staff who is smart enough to know where the open should go, and Universal Digital Video Services was sloppy when they mastered the show. There is a point where they people releasing the DVDs or Blu-rays has to take charge and point these things out to the studio, or even fix it themselves if they can.

Drifter likes this.
  11. PaulKTF

PaulKTF Senior Member Thread Starter

I don't mind. Putting the theme song first makes it easier to skip it to get to the proper show content.

Myke likes this.
  12. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I have this dvd set as well but haven't opened it yet. I bought it right after watching the whole series as reruns on MeTV or something. It was on every day and I watched it religiously. I didn't watch much tv when I was a kid and this was first aired - I was always out playing! Of course I've seen many of the episodes over the years in syndication - just an excellent show all around and never fails to make me laugh and feel good. Not much on tv for quite a while makes me feel like that. Corny, feel-good wrap-ups at the end with a moral twist? Count me in! It's probably no surprise that I'm a HUGE Andy Griffith Show fan as well. ;)

I picked mine up on Ebay a couple of years ago for around $60 if I recall. Sometimes I wish there was a way to research ebay sales one has made for years back like on Amazon.

Pretty interesting site here on the show's location :

http://www.retroweb.com/universal_leave_it_to_beaver.html

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
    Grand_Ennui likes this.
  13. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

My point was that they aren't presenting those episodes the way they were meant to be seen. It might not detract much from your overall enjoyment of the show (especially in this case, where I don't think there were very many episodes that used the "cold open" format), but it's still a pretty big screw-up nonetheless. Considering this forum's obsession with "old stuff" and having things "exactly the way I remember them from when I was young", you'd expect a mistake of this size to give people an aneurysm! :p

Grand_Ennui, O Don Piano and Vidiot like this.
  14. PaulKTF

Leave It To Beaver will be leaving Antenna TV and re-appearing on ME-TV on January 2nd.

15. Jason Pumphrey

Jason Pumphrey Forum Resident

Fun show, loved watching it as a kid, My Three Sons as well.

16. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

No. Why?

17. PaulKTF

Because Antenna TV's contract with the distributor ended and Me-TV decided to pick the show up.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  18. MikaelaArsenault

So the company who owns the right to the show?

19. PaulKTF

Yes. So the show is just moving from Antenna TV to ME-TV.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  20. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you.

21. dance_hall_keeper

dance_hall_keeper Forum Resident

It's always been a tempting purchase.
    For the last few years, I've been watching the episodes on tv; I've got to the point where I can even use the word "onacountta" in everyday conversation.
    I came to this reality: Each episode was a "life lesson" for parents who could see how to handle their children in certain situations.
    Great stuff.

EdgardV likes this.
  22. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine is still sealed :cheers:

23. geralmar

geralmar Forum Resident

I don't trust Me-TV. I stopped watching The Many Loves of Dobie Gillis, The Man from Uncle, and Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea because the episodes look like they have been sped up to free up time for more commercials. I believe the technical term is "time compression."

Grand_Ennui and longdist01 like this.
  24. drmark7

drmark7 Forum Resident

>>>I don't trust Me-TV.

I don' think that time compression is bad on Me-TV, but note that if it's moving to Me-TV, several months ago, they started broadcasting EVERY show (including STAR TREK!) in WIDESCREEN. I'd normally be critical about such things... But I will admit, whatever process they are using, it is tolerable. They are shaving the tiniest bit off the top and bottom though it still looks good. I'm surprised there aren't entire threads on the matter.

25. PaulKTF

The episode "Beaver Takes A Bath" where the bathroom floods and causes the ceiling downstairs to leak is actually kind of legitimately suspenseful and horrifying because I could imagine being a kid and getting in that kind of trouble and knowing I was in for it. :laugh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.