Poll: Beatles "Carnival of Light"

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by qwerty, Dec 1, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Catbirdman

Catbirdman Forum Resident

None of the choices in the poll nailed my POV to a tee, but I didn't want to select "Other" as that wouldn't really communicate any real preference in the final tally. So I went with option A.

As many have said here, "must" is way too strong a word. But I would definitely buy this in a heartbeat if it was released in a reasonable way. As BEAThoven asks above, would people seriously be that put out to spend $1.29 on iTunes for the track? Even if it's bundled with a few other things, either packaged in a handsome but modest physical product or given out as hi-res audio, I think a regular album price ($10-15) would be fine. That won't break the bank.

Another point others have made that I agree with 100%: the whole argument about "you will be disappointed as it probably sucks" is a non-starter for me. I am not expecting this to be great, nor even good. If it turns out it is, then that's gravy. I expect I would enjoy it for historical interest, and would be fully prepared to think it's horrible. That wouldn't disappoint me in the slightest. I think many feel that way.

BeSteVenn and BEAThoven like this.
  2. WolfSpear

WolfSpear Music Enthusiast

There needs to be expanded album editions with "Carnival of Light" on a bonus disc.

Or put it up on iTunes at the very least.

3. Jimmy B.

Jimmy B. Be yourself or don't bother. Anti-fascism.

I'd like to hear it.
    I don't care if it sucks,
    if it is that bad,
    it could be just a streaming-only online thing for a couple days,
    let the fans hear it at least - or even a snippet of it - why not?

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

Well, how very interesting, because I'm now made entirely of tin.

DinsdaleP likes this.
  5. SixtiesGuy

SixtiesGuy Ministry of Love

After having been a devoted fan of the group since 1964, and after waiting patiently for decades for things like the Shea Stadium, Let It Be and Washington Coliseum films to become legitimately available, I'm now near the point where I just don't care anymore if I ever hear Carnival of Light or anything else in the vaults. Apple Corps can continue their brilliant business strategy of keeping things locked away until no one who would give a damn to buy them will still be alive.

As an aside, during a rare personal appearance in a local Target yesterday I happened to take a quick look at their music section. On that single rack I found not one Beatles album - not even the recent Hollywood Bowl release. Not one. In the past 50 or so years I don't recall ever seeing this at Christmastime. Incredible.

Fullbug likes this.
  6. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Well, they wanted to release it...but the grumpy frumpy spiritual guy is said to have vetoed it. I'm not bothered either way :0

7. originalsnuffy

originalsnuffy Socially distant and unstuck in time

Going back a post of two....I think Washington Coliseum was semi officially released on DVD at one point and by Apple as part of a Beatles package at another time. And I think Shea may be part of the Eight Days a Week bonus material. (I don't have that so can't verify)

My understanding is that the film versions of Shea from years ago actually had portions that were not really Shea.

8. Joost van Gijzen

Joost van Gijzen Avada Kedavra, MF's!

I'm still waiting for a polished, listenable copy of the Sour Milk Sea and Circles demos.

Why did the Spiritual One block those, I wonder?

Carnival Of Light should just have been slipped onto those terrible Fireman albums (nr. 1 and 2. that is, nr. 3 is okay)
    as a secret bonustrack.

Fullbug likes this.
  9. audiotom

audiotom Senior Member

Keep it a mystery

10. SixtiesGuy

IIRC (and Im sure the resident Beatle experts will corrct me if I'm wrong) Washington Coliseum was available briefly on iTunes as a download for those who bought the group's entire catalog, but not as a stand alone physical release. And although the Shea film was shown as a companion to the Ron Howard documentary (and helped overcome the documentary's inexcusable derth of actual live performances), it is not included in the DVD or Blu Ray packages.

11. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I think I'd like for it to remain unreleased. The object of the game is to get 10 concurrent threads about Carnival of Light running at the same time!

12. noahjld

noahjld Der Wixxer

09.09.2019 release date.

13. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

I voted 'other' because I have no idea what Carnival of Light is.

14. BEAThoven

BEAThoven Forum Resident

15. JP Christian

JP Christian Forum Resident

Paul "George did not like it 'cos he doesn't like avant garde music."

What the hell was 'electronic sound' then? MOR?

WilliamWes and Fullbug like this.
  16. Fullbug

Fullbug Forum Resident

Great idea for RSD: release Revolution Take 20 and COL as a double A side single.

broshfab4 likes this.
  17. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Maybe they don't want to have to pay royalties for all the songwriting credits they'd have to give to every tape loop (sample) they used....

18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

I voted not interested.

19. BeSteVenn

BeSteVenn FOMO Resident

Taking a moment to think outside the box (set), Carnival of Light may already be out there. Keep in mind previous releases that have come out under pseudonyms: Bernard Webb, Elastic Oz Band, Nelson Wilbury and Ringo Starr. To establish copyright for the next few decades, EMI/Universal and Apple could put out an obscure local 12" vinyl release with a limited run of 15 sold as something odd like "Carnal Delight" by The Barber. The record label wouldn't have to indicate any ownership by EMI or Apple, a subsidiary business could be set up. If certain stakeholders haven't wanted it out, Olivia could be convinced that copyright ownership needs to be established, this is a possible way to go.

The Bernard Webb gambit (putting out something under a pseudonym) is something Paul and the other Fabs have a history of ... so maybe it's already out there and it's so uninteresting that no one cares.

20. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

It is still available on iTunes if you buy the black box stereo collection. (and I am not a Beatle expert).

21. SixtiesGuy

Thank you. It's been a long time since I've visited that page. I have no need to buy the catalog yet again. I can rip it myself, "mastered for iTunes notwithstanding... and there's the problem: I'm not willing to spend a couple of hundred bucks, or whatever it costs, just to get the video.

dewey02 likes this.
  22. Trashman

Trashman Forum Resident

Like others have speculated, it probably remains unreleased because it's not very good. Also remember that something like 12 Bar Original was deemed suitable for release on Anthology, so their standards weren't set too high. :D

I would be curious to hear it, just to experience it at least once. But if it's as bad as I suspect it might be, then it probably doesn't need an official release. I suspect there are many more interesting recordings still sitting in the vaults... even if they are just earlier takes (or different versions) of well-known classic songs.

23. detroit muscle

detroit muscle MIA

I kind of like that there is this one Beatles thing that remains unavailable and it drives all the people who think they are entitled to absolutely everything the Beatles ever did crazy.

24. 905

905 Senior Member

That's too much democracy right there.
    Carnival of Light could be brilliant, it could be terrible, but it probably stays unreleased because of passive aggression over old Let it Be sessions lol

25. Rfreeman

Rfreeman Senior Member

Check out this video at about 4:06

It shows a poster for the Roundhouse event that indicates the music is composed by "Paul McCartney"
    Interesting that this was not credited to "Lennon McCartney," though Revolution 9 was.

YardByrd likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.