Zappa reissues coming on vinyl.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by chumlie, May 7, 2013.

1. Beatnik_Daddyo'73

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 Music Addiction Personified

Thanks for the clarification. I wonder if they'll do a "re-boot" on the CD release and put out this new and better sounding source. That's probably a no, but I would buy it......again.

kendo and 93curr like this.
  2. Zach Johnson

Zach Johnson Forum Resident

Oh ok thanks. Is all of the original orchestral stuff still on the Verve one, but just with added, spliced in other stuff?

3. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

No, a few bits from Capitol are missing from Verve.

Zach Johnson likes this.
  4. Friginator

Friginator Well-Known Member

If you want to hear the completely orchestral version, it's on the excellent "Lumpy Money" CD set. But I think most people think of the re-edited 1968 version as the regular one. That's the one that Zappa described as being his favorite of all the albums he'd produced.

5. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

Actually, that comes as a bite of a relief to me. These irresistible releases have been coming out at such a torrid pace I could use a break.

John Bliss and danner like this.
  6. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

It is in mono on that set. A stereo version (with one different section at the beginning) circulates among collectors in lesser quality but reportedly couldn't be found in the vault.

7. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

I getcha. Mine were prepaid with Amazon gift credit, though, so argh!!

8. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Im new to Frank Zappa. Just bought Hot Rats re-issue yesterday, as I understand its the same as the famous Classic Records cut by Bernie Grundman. Which of the other these re-issues are also the same cuts as the Classic Records?

9. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

Wait. I thought Hot Rats was the only one released by Classic.

Marko K likes this.
  10. danner

danner Forum Resident

That is correct.

Ben Adams and Marko K like this.
  11. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Sorry, I didnt know that, like I said - Im new to Zappa. Anyone have the very last batch of the re-issues, are they any good?

Frank Zappa-Lumpy Gravy LP
    Frank Zappa-We're Only In It For The Money LP
    Frank Zappa-Weasels Ripped My Flesh LP
    Frank Zappa-Joe's Garage 3LP

12. danner

danner Forum Resident

No sorries needed. It's a vast, confusing discography, especially for a newcomer. :)

I don't have any of the new batch yet, but Joe Travers' talk on Zappacast sure makes it sound like Lumpy Gravy and Joe's Garage will be must-haves.

13. LibertyKrell

LibertyKrell Forum Resident

All of the new cuts (sans Hot Rats) have been remastered by Chris Bellman. Many of those cuts were done directly from the original analog masters. All of the vinyl reissues (and Finer Moments) have received universal praise. The One Size Fits All reissue is widely considered to be better than the original Discreet (I agree). I have reissues of Freak Out, OSFA, Apostrophe and Overnight Sensation. I have originals and various other pressings of every official Zappa title from Freak Out to You Are What You Is and I prefer the original pressings of every title, besides OSFA *on my system*, to the reissues (Bellman cuts tend to sound "hot", "overloaded" or "vocally sibilant" *on my system*). However, I do plan on buying Hot Rats and WOIIFTM.

I would avoid Apostrophe reissue. There is a TON of vocal smearing.

vudicus and Marko K like this.
  14. Marko K

Marko K Forum Resident

Cool thanks, musically speaking what would you recommend to get from these re-issues. I assume all the re-issues are pretty much essential from his discography? From the last batch Im very familiar with all the album covers, but dont know the music.

15. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Do you find the vocals sibilant on the Bellman cut of "Sheik Yerbouti"?.
    I have an original US Ludwig masterdisk pressing and the vocals are overly sibilant on that one.
    In fact, I'm yet to find a satisfactory pressing of "Sheik Yerbouti" on vinyl as every copy I've tried was very sibilant.

16. LibertyKrell

Joe's Garage is a journey. I love it. A lot of people find the humor dated, perverted and offensive, so if you're sensitive to those thing maybe stay away. It's an extremely well polished studio album that has some of Frank's most enjoyable guitar work. If my memory were wiped and I were to be introduced to the music from the 5 albums getting re-issued on Dec. 9th I'm pretty sure I'd find Joe's Garage the most enjoyable.

If you don't have Hot Rats already you should get that, too.

mikedifr0923, John Bliss and Marko K like this.
  17. LibertyKrell

I don't have the SY reissue. At first I found the SY Bob Ludwig original bright and sibilant, but when I changed my cartridge and upgraded my stock power cords on my phono stage and amp things rounded out. It really is a very well mastered album if your system can tolerate it. But, the recording is pretty bright to begin with.

dlokazip and vudicus like this.
  18. vudicus

vudicus Forum Resident

Cool thanks for the info.
    I can't really afford any upgrades currently, certainly nothing that would make a considerable difference but it's something to consider for the future.

19. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

The new batch technically comes out Friday, though it's always possible some folks got them early.

20. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I have the SY reissue, and I think it is as good or better than the original Zappa Records release. I don't find it sibilant.

vudicus likes this.
  21. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

What is vocal smearing?

22. LibertyKrell

It's not a technical term. It's how I describe an effect caused by sibilance. But, it's worse than sibilance. It's like a static sibilance. The first offense can be heard on Nanook Rubs It the first time Zappa says "...strictly from commercial." the S in "strictly" is smeared. The smearing is present throughout all of side one. Some sibilants are worse than others. Mind you, this effect is present on the original Discreet, but not as exaggerated. Proper tracking force and cartridge alignment can only help so much.

23. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I hear that, although it really doesn't bother me, and I think the LP sounds great otherwise. I also have the AU20 CD, where there's no "strictly" static (but the way Zappa said/sang "strictly" is about as sibilant as it gets). Listening to the 2012 CD version via Apple Music, also no static in the "strictly". So I guess, to anyone who doesn't have this album, if a bit of static in some sibilants bugs you, skip the LP, and get the 2012 CD. Doug Sax did good work.

I'd add that if you must have the vinyl, I'm certain you're better off getting the new one, rather than trying to hunt down a good condition original Discreet.

LibertyKrell likes this.
  24. Ben Adams

Ben Adams Forum Resident

It's one of the most common Discreets as it was a huge seller. I always see copies in the Zappa bins. You can probably find a mint-playing original for $10-$20, although the cover will likely have ring wear.

25. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

Maybe in Phoenix? I see them for $20+ in Denver. One nice perk with the new release is you can buy it from Amazon, and if it's glitchy, return for a refund, postage paid. If your Discreet is glitchy, maybe not so much. :)

Ben, do you have the new vinyl? If so, what do you think of it?