What Is The Big Deal About "A Christmas Story" (1983)?!?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ky658, Nov 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ellaguru

ellaguru Forum Resident

quoting myself here...

how far away is the christmas story house from that house where those 3 girls were held captive for years? from my basic knowledge of clevo geography, im guessing around 1 mile? maybe not too safe after all?

2. rburly

rburly Sitting comfortably with Item 9

Its called: "The Cast of A Christmas Story: Where Are They Now?" on Pop channel right now.

jriems likes this.
  3. jriems

jriems Audio Ojiisan

Thanks! Found it and am recording the 1am broadcast.

rburly likes this.
  4. rburly

There's a lot of info there and I, at least, learned a lot of things I didn't know about the actors and the movie itself. You'll enjoy it for sure.

5. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

THANKS!

6. MikeInFla

MikeInFla Glad to be out of Florida

Ah! No Pop TV here! But we did watch it last night and for the FIRST time I noticed something I have missed all these years -- the Little Orphan Annie decoder says 1940 on it. So that solves our year. 1940 is it. Watch it again and look at the decoder, my wife asked what I was doing when I paused it.

Also, CMT was running 24 hours of A Christmas Story 2 but I have no desire to see that one so we skipped it.

7. woody

woody Forum Resident

I am 50 and my daughter is Ralphie's age, 9. My 9 year old childhood was 34 years after Ralphie's, but my daughter is 41 years separated from when I was 9.

My dentist about fell off her stool when I told her. It has been blowing my mind since watching the movie last week. I am officially old.

googlymoogly, MikeInFla and JimC like this.
  8. MikeInFla

That time of year again to pull this out and watch with the family! Absolutely love it!

9. Thievius

Thievius Blue Oyster Cult-ist

There is a lot of dopey-ness in the film that I can see being lost on some people, after all kids that young are kinda dopey and much of it is seen through their eyes. But there are some honestly funny moments as well. Especially with the Dad - the incredible Darren MvGavin. And..."Show me how the piggies eat!" Come on.

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Darren McGavin rocks:

[​IMG]

Erik Tracy, vinnie and googlymoogly like this.
  11. JAuz

JAuz Forum Resident

sgtmono likes this.
  12. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

I remember a Hanna-Barbera 1972 special "A Christmas story", with Daws Butler as a little mouse named Gumdrop and Paul Winchell as a dog named Woofer. Also starred Walter (Mr.Peabody) Tetlley and Janet Waldo (Judy Jetson, Josie,etc.) as well.. Not a favorite but it had the name before (also recycled from that obscure special, besides the name for the 1983 Peter Billingsley,) were some of the songs for future HB specials..

13. Steve Carras

Steve Carras Golden Retriever

Currently I don't.but I'll have to see it..

14. ChadHahn

ChadHahn Forum Resident

My 10 year old daughter saw this movie for the first time last week. She generally doesn't care much for movies that we try and make her watch from our childhoods but she really seemed to enjoy this one.

Chad

RogerB, ben_wood and MikeInFla like this.
  15. MikeInFla

All of my kids were the same way (24, 15, and 7). When they all were very young and mostly into cartoons it was hard to get them to watch a movie with real actors. They loved this. And since we went to a Christmas Story House in Cleveland they enjoy seeing the movie even more knowing they have been in the house and have seen the street where it was filmed.

ben_wood likes this.
  16. dewey02

dewey02 Forum Resident

Having grown up only about 1 mile from where the Jean Shepard stories take place (and where Jean Shepard actually lived), this is one of my favorite Christmas movies. I like that it is Christmas, not through the eyes of an adult or as we see it now, but through the eyes of a young boy in the 1940's.

RogerB, rburly and ben_wood like this.
  17. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

And not just about Christmas. The amusing side-stories just add to the fun and provide additional views of the time and region.

dewey02 and ben_wood like this.
  18. Erik Tracy

Erik Tracy Meet me at the Green Dragon for an ale

My boys, now both in college, can toss out one liners from the movie that fit various daily occurrences.

I raised them right! :p

19. ampmods

ampmods Forum Resident

It's the same general neighborhood. But specifically the street where the house is in Cleveland is pretty nice. Cleveland is like that though. Some nicer areas are just down the street from run down or blighted areas. Downtown though is really beautiful though.

This is one of my favorite movies. It reminds me of growing up there.

ben_wood likes this.
  20. knob twirler

knob twirler Senior Member

That's exactly how I first saw it. I' d seen a trailer with apparently drunk Santa booting a kid in the face and pushing said kid down a slide. That sold me on the need to see it.

21. phish

phish Jack Your Body

We all like different flavors of everything and movies are no different.

Benno123 likes this.
  22. bferr1

bferr1 Forum Resident

To me, it brings the same sense of nostalgic joy as a painting by Norman Rockwell.

23. ben_wood

ben_wood A traveler of both time and space

I still chuckle every time I see the dead villains with the x's on their eyes! :winkgrin:

24. fuse999

fuse999 Forum Resident

To those who don't get it - Bah Humbug!! Merry Christmas

25. rburly

That shows you they're dead, but you knew that! ;)

MikeInFla and ben_wood like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.