RIP Greg Lake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Smxx777

Smxx777 Forum Resident

Now it's really the time when our heroes leave us.
    Thank you, dear Greg, for your singing.
    In February we had full ELP line-up and now - only one is left....
    Many sad news this year but Bowie's death and Lake's death made my eyes wet.

2. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

what a great voice, and a sh***y year keeps getting sh***ier , RIP Mr. Lake

Joti Cover and DonnyMe like this.
  3. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

the reality of people aged 60+ is that many heroes will pass now..people who's greatness ran alongside our lives..and were the soundtrack of our own lives will leave us..some way too early..some keep going thank goodness..but sometimes witnessing their longevity is a sad sight too..tough times for the 60+ers because so many great talents were the baby boomer generation......personally i was 10 years behind the greats of that generation..born in 1956,,, but was lucky enough to witness their greatness when they were gods of their generations..and they were really gods of that time.....i was 15/16 in 1970 and boy were these people were pathfinders of that age....real heroes..very special

Free..ELP...King Crimson..Zep..Steve Marriott..wishbone Ash.focus...etc etc...what a period

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  4. DougRuss

DougRuss Forum Resident

RIP ...........

5. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

These tributes always seem so empty. I think its hard to convey what the music meant to us, how it shaped who we were to become. Staying up all night as a 15 year old, listening to Epitaph, wondering how I fit into the world. It makes me really sad to hear of his passing. He was a mentor, a confidant to me. RIP Greg Lake.

6. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Oh no!

DonnyMe likes this.
  7. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

they may seem empty..but the fact that someone posts 40 odd years after these guys were in their real heyday..shows not emptiness..but real importance of their existence and our appreciation

there is nothing empty about an appreciation of something that played..and plays ...an important part of our lifes..its when someone like Greg passes and there is no comment that things are empty..the posts on this thread tell me..its not empty..we just loved them

keyXVII, TS582, j4yheindeo and 4 others like this.
  8. MOB_HRV

MOB_HRV Forum Resident

RIP Greg, and say hello to Keith...

Now we know that the order of the letters in ELP is the order of their death... :shake:

DeepFloyd11, Ern and DonnyMe like this.
  9. TheDailyBuzzherd

TheDailyBuzzherd Forum Resident

Odd, isn't it? Sometimes I feel I'm the Harbinger of Death when I think of someone
    I hadn't in some time. Not the case here, but sometimes I wonder.

Epitaph, indeed. RiP

DonnyMe likes this.
  10. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Yeah, It isn't this year, this is time taking its toll on the baby boomers. This is what my parents went though in the 70's - all their faves were being reaped in bundles.

Joti Cover, GodShifter and DonnyMe like this.
  11. richard a

richard a Forum Resident

Really? Another hero gone? This has been a horrible year.
    Sleep well Mr Lake.
    Your voice and your music will live forever.

12. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Damn one of the all time greats! My favorite crimson singer and an amazing bass player.

13. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

"I wish you a brave New Year."

DonnyMe likes this.
  14. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

if you are 60+ and loved late 60's early 70's rock..best get used to it...and in not a nice way..these guys hit the board hard whilst we were living reasonably healthy lives..time takes its toll..some guys can see it out..look at Ginger Baker..many folk thought he would have gone years ago..he is still here sneering at the world bless him...and yet we lose others...these guys from that era are my heroes..they shaped my life with what they put out there..some of it..i still listen to as though it were yesterday...a generation of genius occured whilst we looked on...now some pay that piper..and we all feel sad when each individual from that time meets the piper..many sad days ahead re wishing these guys were still here..but each time one passes takes a little from each of us...these guys,..,Greg and whoever..Keith really hurt the way in which his life went...are really importnat to us..without even knowing them personally..they are big figures in our lives just due to listening to what they threw out in talent

DonnyMe likes this.
  15. How i hate this bloody year. Yet another great talent gone!! A bad year all round in my view. Time to spin some ELP and KC along with a bottle of good wine RIP

DonnyMe, Joti Cover and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  16. npc145

npc145 music junkie

RIP Greg Lake
    Keith Emerson and Greg Lake in the same year. FU 2016.
    I was lucky enough to witness ELP three times. 1971 at Fillmore east on their first US tour. 1973 at MSG for Brain Salad Surgery (quad sound). 1977 MSG for the Works Tour with full orchestra.

17. Sternodox

Sternodox SubGenius Pope of Arkansas

First concert I went to without my parents was King Crimson in 1969. Will never forget that show! It did much to make me who I am today. Thanks for the music!!!

18. Calling All Stations

Calling All Stations Forum Resident

Gonna spin ELPowell tonight. "Love Blind" has been on my mind.

DonnyMe and DeepFloyd11 like this.
  19. DeepFloyd11

DeepFloyd11 Lady Eclectic

Just when I thought 2016 couldn't get any worse....:cry: :sigh:

R.I.P. Greg Lake, one of the most beautiful voices in rock music. So talented.

With King Crimson and with Emerson Lake and Palmer he created timeless and significant music. I have been a fan ever since I was a kid, many moons ago....

20. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

RIP. Another passage...

DonnyMe and Joti Cover like this.
  21. the.giffer

the.giffer Forum Resident

Thank you Greg, you made a difference to a young kid trying to learn about music.

22. mike's beard

mike's beard Forum Resident

Damn, hearing I Believe In Father Christmas will be especially poignant this year.

DonnyMe likes this.
  23. GeoffC

GeoffC Forum Resident

Shocked to hear this, I'd no idea he was unwell.

Thanks Greg, for all the great music, I liked you From the Beginning.

RIP

DonnyMe, Joti Cover and Dr. Funk like this.
  24. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Yep. Unfortunately, I don't think 2016 is going to be the only "bad year" we see. If anything, I would expect the pace to accelerate for the next decade or so.

25. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

I will remember Greg for four things.

1. His booming voice which filled stadiums/parks/arenas.
    2. His booming basslines
    3. His onstage confidence
    4. From The Beginning

Bemsha, Platterpus, DonnyMe and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.