Pink Floyd - The Early Years 1965-1972 Box Set - Realiz/ation (Content, tracks, etc. ONLY!)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by stereoptic, Nov 2, 2016.

1. factory44

factory44 Forum Resident

Good to hear!

2. wilfsdad1965

wilfsdad1965 Forum Resident

if anybody is interested in my nerdy research on pompeii 5.1 v stereo in the box.
    i've a/b'd this stuff to death, here is what i hear, caveat emptor we all have different systems, you may not hear the same.
    i have an oppo bd 103 going into a marantz 6005 amp, and used headphones. i set the oppo to downmix multichannel audio.
    i cued up the cd and then sequenced it to match the dvd. i flicked between the two 5.1 and stereo mixes on the dvd and the cd.
    the 2.0 mix on dvd is identical to the stereo mix, no surprise there.
    the 5.1 dolby mix is quiet, the dts encoding is louder. the two 5.1 mixes have less reverb than the stereo mix. i think this reverb on trebly stuff like cymbals is what gives the 2.0 mix it's harshness. the dts 5.1 downmixed to stereo sounded superb IMO so i am going to burn a CD from that.

3. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

The Surprise Partie version of Let There Be More Light from 11/1/68 on the Germin/ation DVD... wow!!!! Gilmour's solo is kickin'!

4. rontoon

rontoon Animaniac

One of my favorite clips and my favorite performance of that song by far.

5. Rekkerds

Rekkerds Forum Resident

Yeah, that's a stunner version!

Another WOW! moment... Saucerful from Forum Musiques 1/22/1969 on Dramatis/ation. That is some trippy schlizz right thurr!

The audio/visual on this set is an embarrassment of riches! Any disappointments I had about the CDs (poor BBC quality stuff, shrill OBC remix, Pompeii not sounding great in stereo) is getting overshadowed quickly.

rontoon and Hattipper like this.
  6. Matadorman

Matadorman Forum Resident

It's very nice, not as big as the wall book but very concise none the less.

7. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

One of the best sections from that particular DVD. The section before it (Let There Be More Light / Flaming) is my favorite, though.

andrewskyDE and Rekkerds like this.
  8. bcaulf

bcaulf Forum Resident

Listening to AHM in Quad now...really cool...certainly details I haven't heard before.

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  9. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

The '68 volume has some of my favorite video. That one and the ORTF stuff from the dawn of Dave are just priceless. The improv instrumental, too, I love that piece ~ I'd swear it was an unreleased studio tape they were miming to, but if so I guess it would've been on the audio cd, as well.

10. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

That French voice-over in the Obscured by Clouds documentary is quite annoying. Isn't it possible to turn it off?

11. Interstellar Overdrive

Interstellar Overdrive Well-Known Member

Non?

Wyd Syatt likes this.
  12. Tony Dogs

Tony Dogs Forum Resident

Why?

13. Wyd Syatt

Wyd Syatt Forum Resident

Parce que la piste audio est en MONO.

PIGGIES and hi_watt like this.
  14. bobbydriver

bobbydriver Forum Resident

Sounds about right - I'm sure they know by now roughly how many PF fans there are out there who are willing to pay nearly 400 quid for this sort of set. Kind of nicely adds up to £10million revenue

andrewskyDE likes this.
  15. Glubluk

Glubluk Forum Resident

That's right. 'Radio' music can be great, even excellent, but bold, inspired moments are those that work on another level entirely. Heh, I wonder if Roger realizes that there are people in the world whose lives were put on track by his screaming into the microphone for a minute or so! ;)

Also, the UG version of Saucerful is important for me because it made me realize how the process in a composition influences the overall effect. Celestial Voices would not be as effective if it weren't preceeded by the controlled chaos. The chaos by itself is intense and devastating, but when you know what inevitably comes next, it gains a whole new context. This shaped my perception of how music should be made/written - the main things being that there should be no disposable notes/motives, the author must feel that the music being written is in some way unique, and the song must be going somewhere, there must be an implicit purpose.

16. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

I now have a replacement for the faulty Contiu/ation BD. :)

17. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

The Echoes Quad mix is stunning. I can't wait to finally extract the Meddle 5.1 if this is anything to go by. This box is going to take me months to truly unpick, but it's a joy to own.

18. Hattipper

Hattipper Forum Resident

Awesome! How was it packaged?

19. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

It came in Jewell case inside a cardboard envelope.

andrewskyDE and Hattipper like this.
  20. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Sure, I get that the major vs. minor chord does fundamentally change feel and vibe of the piece, but that doesn't change my opinion that Nothing Part 14 did evolve into what we know as the build-up from the whale-spacey section to the last verse proper. It's essentially the same groove and progression, with a major chord that later became minor. Either way, not worth arguing about. I get your point.

21. central616

central616 Forum Resident

I don't know if the applause at the end of Atom Heat Mother on BBC are real or added later, but the combination between the grandiose ending and the enthusiastic applause bring me almost to tears. One of my top moments in music history.

22. Interstellar Overdrive

Good post.

* Than there's Archie Shepp free jazz/skronk, which will clear out a room full of unwanted lingering party guests late at night as surely as if you discharged both barrels of a shotgun into the ceiling!

anth67 likes this.
  23. Interstellar Overdrive

DEFINITELY one of the set highlights, as someone in the thread put it, it is like you are now inside the song!

It is so stunning, it made me reevaluate it, and reshuffle my personal hierarchy/order/sequence of PF's pre-DSOTM body of work and official album rankings, vaulting it MUCH higher. It might be an interesting exercise for the thread to explore if in fact it has also changed for others, among the half dozen plus PATGOD, SOS, More, Ummgumma, AHM, Meddle and OBC?

For me, it may now be something like:

Meddle
    AHM
    PATGOD
    OBC
    Ummagumma
    More
    SOS

24. }{eywood

}{eywood Forum Resident

You say that inferring it's bad. Ummagumma will do the same thing

Hattipper and rontoon like this.
  25. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Yeah, sorry if my "No" sounded too strong...we're understanding the same thing, really. I was just lamenting there wasn't some way to work the major chord into the final thing, too, somewhere. But once the minor took its "slot", and the way the final construction went, there was just no place to insert it, had to be one or the other. At least now we get to hear it :)

Billy_Sunday and Wyd Syatt like this.