Would you consider "Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby?" proto-punk?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ophelia, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Grieves

Mr. Grieves Forum Resident

Yeah that was the best thing about punk & New Wave acts. Those over indulgent solos, especially coming from Zeppelin(who I love), became obnoxious & started ruining good songs. Many acts didn't even get too self indulgent they just beame bland & predictable. It made music more exciting again, & reminded everyone how exciting rock n roll could be & more importantly, they gave it back to the youth, not unlike the way the British Invasion acts did for the youth back in the day.

Course there were many great acts before punk & new wave gained some traction, but man they were very, very underground.

Also agree about the fashion sense. The Ramones pretty much dressed like Brando back in the 50s and it, like the music, made a sizeable impact the as well (see Queen's greatest hits vol. I cover :laugh:)
    Stones especially looked much cooler in the early 70s & 60s as you say.

2. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Have You Seen Your Mother is one the most original and totally bonkers songs ever recorded.
    I wouldn't say particular song was proto-punk (as said earlier "She Said Yeah" fits that description better).
    That said, it does have Jagger's snarl which was an inspiration for a lot of garage bands and eventually punk bands.

amcaudio likes this.
  3. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I'm a little confused now. The photos are making it look like you think the Stones influenced glam rock more than punk rock. I mean people have said already that punks hated stuff like the 'overly' complex music and the colorful fashions. Only the Damned were continually dressed up in a different fashion than most, but they were more about goth than glam.

"Have You Seen Your Mother"- by then the Stones were rich megastars around the world with no reason to oppose anything. Many punk fans will say that by the time you're THAT successful (2nd biggest rock stars in the world), than how can you be creating music that is DIY and considered punk? Now there earlier stuff when they weren't as famous and weren't able to have their record company pay for a horn section-that stuff feels more raw, naive, youthful, aggressive.

So are you saying the Stones affected glam as well as punk or both?

4. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I agree. Just because something's poorly recorded doesn't make it "Punk." Great track, though.

5. Tanx

Tanx Forum Resident

I don't hear any punk in this song. The Stones definitely influenced the style, though (and I'm sure some would call the Dolls proto-punk, or whatever, but I don't have a lot of patience for subcategories):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

Purple Jim likes this.
  6. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

Don't the horn automatically disqualify it?

John DeAngelis likes this.
  7. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

No. Link Wray's Rumble maybe.

8. CrombyMouse

CrombyMouse Forum Resident

Nope. "Nuggets" box-sets have a lot of real proto-punk which was released a year earlier.
    Some earlier Stones stuff has proto-punk vibe.

Lightworker likes this.
  9. Danby Delight

Danby Delight Forum Resident

Freakbeat

10. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

Not really "punk"...but kinda proto-Pixies/Nirvana with all the sonic mood swings.

11. Lightworker

The Stones' cover of "She Said Yeah" is pretty punky for its time-frame.

CrombyMouse likes this.
  12. Lightworker

Sexual politics and anti-authoritarianism maybe. The 'leftist/anarchist' cant of punk rock came from the U.K. and post-dates the U.S. proto-punkers and C.B.G.B.s "ground zero" scene.

13. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

There's been horns in punk songs.........X-Ray Spex had a saxophone player.

Other punk influences - The Sonics, MC5, and Stooges, had saxophone or other horn arrangements at times.

14. JRD

JRD Forum Resident

Would King Jones consider it punk? Now that is the question.

15. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

There's a difference between a sax and a horn section. I don't claim to know much about The Sonics, but I don't remember horn sections on any Stooges or MC5 albums I have.

Must be on some albums that I don't own?

16. Mr. Grieves

No horn sections, but there is Sax on Fun House. The Sonics, probably my favorite garage band, had a sax player too on all their albums. You should check em out if you haven't already.

17. drbryant

drbryant Senior Member

I have no issue with a sax player. A sax guy was a garage band staple - Dave Clark 5, Paul Revere & the Raiders. But, "Have You Seen You Mother" has that blaring brass sound, which seem quite un-punk (and un-garage for that matter). I'll check out the Sonics.

Mr. Grieves likes this.
  18. Mr. Grieves

Hey I get it, a horn section is definitely not the first thing I think of when I hear the term garage rock lol.

19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Fabulous track but too slow to be considered proto-punk (apart from the rawness of it).

20. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Yes that's what I meant by political rebelliousness rather than some political screed with policy points.

Lightworker likes this.
  21. Ophelia

Ophelia Forum Resident Thread Starter

No, I was trying to point out with the photos how once raw bands like the Stones became self indulgent in the middle 1970s, with the outrage costumes and such - Punk was a backlash in part to that. It was a symptom of the self indulgence of the hard rock scene in the mid 70s. If you look at earlier in their career, they had a more punk friendly aesthetic:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Early in their career, especially around 1964-1966, they evoked an ugly sort of image.

And you have to remember, they might have had money when they released Have You Seen Your Mother, but the mid 60s was a rat race, and it was very easy to be left behind and forgotten. They weren't mega stars in the 1970s sense of the word with private jets or such by any means. They were a hard rocking, still hungry band making single after single and record after record to stay afloat. The 1960s music industry was different from that of the 1970s. They were a modestly successful group in the 60s. Not on par with say, Elvis or such.

Fill Your Head and WilliamWes like this.
  22. LandHorses

LandHorses I contain multitudes

One of my favorite MC5 songs has horns

23. WilliamWes

WilliamWes Likes to sing along but he knows not what it means

I get you Ophelia, good points. I'd agree with the backlash part.

The last sentence I don't know if I agree with. Which artists would you say were more popular? Elvis, The Beatles, Bob Dylan, who else?

24. amcaudio

amcaudio Forum Resident

Punk or not I believe this song was revolutionary for the time. From the opening blast ,to the wailing horns ,to the (to borrow a phrase) wall of sound, this song sounded like nothing else on the radio to me in 1966. I always felt this song has never been given enough credit for just how unique it is

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  25. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.