RIP Greg Lake

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by DLeet, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends...

R.I.P.

DonnyMe, Joti Cover and Sandinista like this.
  2. EddieMann

EddieMann I used to be a king...

It was not meant as a putdown, just a feeling of helplessness and grief. That our (my) words don't adequately portray how meaningful he was to us (me).

3. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

What a ****ing year.
    I'm not very interested in ELP, but Lake was a huge musician and singer. His vocals on Crimson's debut album are a truly favorite of mine. Spectacular.
    May he rest in peace.

4. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

we all think 2016 has been bad... but we know worse is to come as these giants pass..i love reading the emotion on threads like this..it tells me other people have been affected by what these people have created.. has made such an impression

lets celebrate these guys when they pass..its extremely sad as we all know very well...but these guys are the guys of our life..they created something very special that we were lucky enough to be in the middle of...its very sad they pass..but inevitable unfortunately...listen to what they threw out and celebrate their greatness..and great they were in our lives...great is a good thing..and these guys majored in it

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    gpalz, DonnyMe, zipp and 3 others like this.
  5. Such sad news.

I hope his family and friends can find some solace at this dreadful time in all of the pleasure he gave to millions through his work.

Best Wishes,
    David

6. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

sorry..no diss intendend..we all see this stuff very personally..lets just agree.I am sure that....these are special people..who provided something special to us..didn't mean any diss to you..sorry if it came across like that

DonnyMe and EddieMann like this.
  7. Sadcafe

Sadcafe In the kingdom of the deaf, one eared man is King

Gutted. I knew this was coming a while ago but still a shock, especially after Keith and the recent pictures of John Wetton. I had some minimal contact and communication with him over the last 10 years. A very charming and giving man. I will need to gather myself and my thoughts before posting more. I shed a tear when Chris Squires died when listening to his music. Not sure I can bring myself to even listen to Gregs at the moment. Too much!

keyXVII and DonnyMe like this.
  8. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

Saw ELP in Baton Rouge around 77 or 78. One of my favorite bands of all time and one of my favorite musicians ever!
    Of course, also loved him in KC, another favorite.
    Will definitely be spinning some ELP and KC this holiday season.
    RIP Greg. My heart goes out to your family during this tough time.
    Thanks for all of the excellent music and joy you brought to not only me, but to millions of people around the world.
    You will be sadly missed.

DonnyMe likes this.
  9. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

Oh, no. No, no, no. Welcome back my friends to the year that NEVER ends.

DonnyMe likes this.
  10. Ok so I have to say that KC and ELP were two of my favorite debuts so they have gotten a lot of play over the years. Last night @ 11am west coast time, I decided to listen to In the acourt of the acrimony King. Now I know it's a coincidence but I hadn't listened to it in months. The two songs that I listened to before I went to sleep were "I Talk to The Wind" and "Epitaph" so really odd. I wasnt aware of how Ill Lake was. I think Wind was a fine sent off and I didn't even know it. I hope the wind hears now.

RIP

For personal reasons 2016 was a lousy year so when it ends I will say good riddance to it for those we lost in 2016, you will be missed.

11. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Woke up and just read this. What news to start the day. RIP.

DonnyMe and Matthew Tate like this.
  12. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

This year sucks.
    R.I.P. Greg Lake.

DonnyMe and Front 242 Addict like this.
  13. mrgroove01

mrgroove01 Still looking through bent-backed tulips

Just like Civil War and World War I veterans. Our icons and cherished artists will diminish in numbers and eventually be no more.

Just appreciate 'em while they're still here and keep on doing that after they're gone.

R.I.P. Mr. Lake.

DonnyMe likes this.
  14. PretzelLogic

PretzelLogic Feeling duped by MoFi? You probably deserve it.

I hope Greg got his island in the Caribbean (middle letter)

[​IMG]

keyXVII, Bemsha, DonnyMe and 12 others like this.
  15. Capzark

Capzark Forum Resident

Never could figure out how 3 guys could make all that complex music sound so incredible. A true master of his craft...one of the greats. RIP.

DonnyMe likes this.
  16. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

the reality is we are going through a period in time when a whole generation of heroes passing is likely to throw up years like 2016..2017 will throw up stuff we absolutely hate in these areas..it will happen..its the age when years catch up..and if you look back at these heroes..they are baby boomers..70+ now......a whole section of music history is coming to an end..we need to be aware of what is happening here and embrace it..we cannot stop what is in the future..but we can appreciate the legacy these guys/heores have left for us..and they produced it in a relatively small window of time.

gpalz, DonnyMe, Runicen and 3 others like this.
  17. jricc

jricc Senior Member

Sad, RIP Greg Lake
    Just played Lucky Man Monday nite, I was at a local jam and somebody requested it.

DonnyMe likes this.
  18. anduandi

anduandi Senior Member

So so sad....another hero gone:cry:
    R.I.P. Greg Lake

19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You sound like a Cubs fan ;)

DonnyMe, janschfan and numer9 like this.
  20. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

It appears I'll be getting the Steven Wilson 5.1 remaster of In The Court Of for Christmas, unfortunate timing but it'll be good to hear that record in a new mix, especially now.

DonnyMe and James5001 like this.
  21. Metralla

Metralla Joined Jan 13, 2002

Very sad indeed.

DonnyMe likes this.
  22. tomd

tomd Senior Member

Just ordered the I believe In Father Christmas single from Discogs.Probably my favorite Christmas song.

DonnyMe and numer9 like this.
  23. jonnyeric

jonnyeric Hyperactive!

RIP Mr.Lake

DonnyMe likes this.
  24. ledsox

ledsox Senior Member

Damn! Another great gone in early Dec.
    RIP Mr Lake. Thanks for all the great music.

25. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

we just need to accept that really..and be very grateful we were there at the time..it sucks..but life eventually does...i hate it like all you guys do..but reality kicks in doesn't it?..and you realise a whole generation of unique people with great talent is jut a part of history..but what hurts is..its our history too..life just moves on as it always has..just not our particular one..fully yet..where are the modern heroes like these guys?...in fact some of these guys are music legends that are passing by the month..is anyone out there have big enough shoes to fill what these guys leave behind?,,,major talent is passing monthly

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    DonnyMe likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.