Ella Fitzgerald "Clap Hands, Here Comes Charlie!" Verve CD, audiophile quality, out there cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 7, 2016.

1. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Listening to this on Tidal now. (I assume it's the same - it has a 1989 copyright.) It does sound sweet. Will have to put the CD on my wish list.

2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

The 1989 Drake is the only version I have ever owned. It sounds amazing.

3. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

It's incredibly expensive on Amazon UK.

4. rxcory

rxcory proud jazz band/marching band parent

FWIW the Drake CD is a significant improvement over the XRCD in my opinion. With the Drake CD the music just breathes better, as if there's more air in the room and everything just flows as it should. The XRCD sounds goosed or boxed-in by comparison, at least to my ears. If you can find the Drake CD it just may become your favorite digital mastering of this album (depending upon your tastes and system, of course).

For everyone, I've seen it before where Steve weighs in on a preferred mastering of a given album and within hours they're in short supply and the price has skyrocketed. Don't panic. These CDs are pretty ubiquitous in my experience, if you still have friendly neighborhood record shops in your neck of the woods that sell used CDs, chances are you can find one without too much trouble. Also, for this release the US and UK releases have the same Dennis Drake mastering, so other online outlets (such as Discogs) can be helpful is Amazon and others are out-of-stock or too pricey.

JP Christian and jfeldt like this.
  5. Jeff Bezos reads this forum, especially sticky threads.

Jarleboy and Sneaky Pete like this.
  6. brimuchmuze

brimuchmuze Forum Resident

So what else has Mr Drake done that is similarly good?

7. rxcory

I've yet to encounter a Dennis Drake mastering that I didn't like. He's one of the few that if I see their name on anything, I don't hesitate to buy. He worked for Verve/PolyGram so from their catalogue, I have a bunch of his CDs of James Brown, Duke Ellington, Ella Fitzgerald, Gloria Gaynor, Billie Holiday, Wes Montgomery, Charlie Parker, Mel Torme, and Dinah Washington. There were numerous uncredited masterings on PolyGram CDs from the 80's that also sound very good, and it's entirely possible that some of those are Drake's as well.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    Jarleboy, Robert C and Merrick like this.
  8. GuildX700

GuildX700 Forum Resident

I just picked up a 17 CD set brand new for $7, yup, $7 for 17 CD's called Essential And Rare blues & Jazz on the LRC jazz classics label and one of the CD's is a really wonderful sounding CD of live recordings of Ella with the Tommy Flanagan Trio in a small club setting. Sometimes a gem just comes around for cheap.

I'll have to get this SH recommended Ella one too!

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  9. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Any specific James Brown and Duke Ellington titles to look out for?

10. rxcory

A couple of my personal favorites:
    James Brown - Star Time box set (essential!)
    Duke Ellington & Johnny Hodges - Side By Side (Verve/PolyGram 821 578-2)

ex_mixer, fingerpoppin and Merrick like this.
  11. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Thanks, I'll look those up!

12. Fill Your Head

Fill Your Head Forum Resident

Hey,I've had this CD for years.
    Miracle of miracles.I had no idea it was audiophile quality.
    I've seen lots of CDs recommended on this forum,you know,the ones with lots of letters in front of them,but they always seem very esoteric,difficult to obtain and probably expensive.
    In fact,since I returned to LPs I've tended to look down on CDs,so the idea that there may be some inexpensive jewels out there is something of a revelation.
    Any more recommendations?

13. qwerty

qwerty A resident of the SH_Forums.

Only $5 - plus the $16 to $23 sellers and US post slug us to send a single CD to Australia.

And thanks for the heads-up Steve, I will look out for it locally.

14. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

sorry, I'm a little confused. are people picking up the specific 1989 cd as recommened by Steve, or just any of the cd releases? if it's the latter, can someone point me in the right direction please..

thanks

15. rxcory

Discogs link for the US release: https://www.discogs.com/Ella-Fitzgerald-Clap-Hands-Here-Comes-Charlie/release/5321832
    Discogs link for the EU release: https://www.discogs.com/Ella-Fitzgerald-Clap-Hands-Here-Comes-Charlie/release/3484612

As far as I know these are the only two releases that feature the Dennis Drake mastering.

Ric-Tic likes this.
  16. garrincha

garrincha Forum Resident

thanks man

17. bibijeebies

bibijeebies vinyl hairline spotter

Hard to locate the correct version. Chances are that Third Party sellers still have some but listed under incorrect versions.

Man at C&A likes this.
  18. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

The Amazon ASIN is B00000477N, I just purchased it in "like new" condition for £6 incl. p&p. Hopefully it's the correct version :) Looking forward to hearing it, this will be my first Ella Fitzgerald album :D
    Tidal (UK) credits Marino as the mastering engineer.

19. SKATTERBRANE

SKATTERBRANE Forum Resident

After selling off all my vinyl, I HAD to own this album on CD. I have had this CD for years now, it certainly rivals the LP and it sounds great. It is a great recommendation Steve!

If only Lucius' albums had this sound quality. If only modern music's engineers and producers could make music sound so natural and round.

Believe it or not this PD collection is worth checking out:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0085Z5AQ6/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

Rod Stewart-Never a Dull Moment

21. SKATTERBRANE

Steve, maybe you should create a sub forum which only you can initiate threads. You could make sonic recommendations and what CD or LP etc would be the best version you have heard.

Laser Red and Jerry James like this.
  22. kennyluc1

kennyluc1 Frank Sinatra collector

I have had this CD (1989 version) for many years and, like you Steve I think it's the best mastering job. All the songs are terrific.

23. SKATTERBRANE

24. teag

teag Forum Resident

I went through my Ella CD collection and found the following additional albums were remastered by Dennis Drake:

1. Ella Fitzgerald sings the Duke Ellington Songbook, 2 CDS, Verve, 837 035-2, released 1988
    2. Ella Fitzgerald, The Harold Arlen Songbook Vol. 1, Verve, 817 527-2, released 1988
    3. Ella Fitzgerald, The Harold Arlen Songbook Vol. 2, Verve, 817 528-2, released 1988 (note: there is no remaster credit for this disc (vol.2) however it came out at the same time as vol.1 and all markings are identical except the cd #. It's most definitely a Drake remaster)
    4. Ella in Rome - The Birthday Concert, Verve, 835 454-2, released 1988 (note: this is a first time release of this material and the credit states "mixed and mastered" by D. Drake)
    5. Ella Fitzgerald: These are the Blues, Verve 829 536-2, released - does not state but I bought around 2002

It's been a while since I have put these on so I will have to give them a listen. My recollection is positive.

25. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Please note that in the 1990's, there was a "remastered" version of ELLA SINGS THE DUKE ELLINGTON SONGBOOK on Verve that was so terrible, so jacked up in the top end, so ****ty in the midrange, so out of phase all over that I threw it out the window. I think it was mastered by Phil S. Avoid at all costs.

dalem5467 and bozburn like this.