The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. JRM

JRM Forum Resident Thread Starter

Even knowing the names, it is hard to distinguish them! The info was from an interview with him in an old Golden Road magazine. Only one of the faces on the cover has eyes closed: "It was interesting with Pigpen, because I kept seeing him with closed eyes - his energy appeared to be going down and he seem to be moving away at that time. Phil was the most openly energetic. Jerry was a little more cryptic and profound."

Tons more info about this art here: http://www.billzart.net/files/AnthemGuide_2002-12-02_web.pdf

"In January ’68, while living in the Haight-Ashbury, Phil Lesh asked me if I would do a cover for the Grateful Dead’s second album. I was living in a house on Shrader Street, two blocks above Haight Street, that had canvas window shades. I removed one, stapled it to a 34 inch diameter piece of plywood and drew out the basic image in a week or so. Showed it to the concerned members of the band, they said “OK,” so I began painting. I painted until May when Warner Brothers needed it for the summer release of Anthem of the Sun. Although the background was not done and much of the details were not painted to my satisfaction, we decided it would be fine, since the image would be reduced from 34 inches in diameter to about 11 inches on the album cover. After Warner Brothers had done what they needed to do with the painting, I gave it to a friend (Richard Kane), with the intention of finishing it “whenever,” and began a trip that would not bring me back to the painting until some 20 years later. I finished the background during a three month session in 1989. Then after two more six month painting sessions, Anthem was completed in ’96." - Bill Walker

2. wlove2372

wlove2372 Forum Resident

i've always loved this one. i have strong memories of being 'altered' and hearing New Potato Caboose. Bobby sang 'The eyes are blind, blue visions, all a seer can own,' and i about lost my ****

3. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

That was a Norwegian Blue, wasn't it? Lovely plumage!

Frankly, I have no recollection of that, but we were a ways back from the stage.

Well, I've got no intention of discontinuing that (although I am running out of "top 10" moments); glad to see they have some utility to someone.

4. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

It was stunned by the volume level on stage.

ailgin, Scopitone and Archtop like this.
  5. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Dang it! I got the new Pink Floyd Box, and have been "immersed" in that for the last 2 weeks..... now I'm 32 pages behind in the Grateful Thread! What's a music (and forum) junkie to do? :)

As the song says, I guess there's nothin' left to do but Smile Smile Smile!

6. JRM

7. Billy_Sunday

Billy_Sunday ... formerly ThirdBowl

Archtop digging into summer '88! I like!

That was my 2nd show. I was firmly on the bus after that. One of the few "complete" Playin's of the late 80's I am pretty sure. That is, after the big meltdown, they come back into the reprise, without anything else (drums, other songs, etc) in between.

I played that Playing In The Band on an indy radio show here in Santa Cruz a couple of weeks ago.... I titled that particular show "Psychedelic Supper."

8. Tom H

Tom H Forum Resident

Currently listening to the fantastic "The Other One" from 5-13-72, Lille, France.

[​IMG]
    Escapin' through the lily fields
    I came across an empty space

9. JayB

JayB Senior Member

One of the highlights of the box for me!

warewolf95 and wavethatflag like this.
  10. Bill Cormier

Bill Cormier Forum Resident

I was this one too, really fun and a small venue on top of it ! This was the second show in a two week long vacation spent following the band around the Northeast, great memories !

11. JRM

Grateful Dead Live at Twilight Zone Sessions on 1985-02-00 : Free Streaming : Internet Archive »

“They didn’t give me any kind of guidelines. They might have given Merl some, but what we got was a collection of little music inserts called 'stings' and 'bumpers' – little hunks of non-specific music of various lengths that have different moods. One might be a mood like, 'Don't open that door!' or 'Don't go up in the attic!' or, 'I'm going to work, honey. Are you sure you'll be OK at home alone?' They go all the way from a sort of noncommittal [makes light, almost playful guitar sounds] to a real ominous 'Braaaaaugh!' They gave us a huge menu of those — 40 that are like five seconds, 20 that are six-and-a-half seconds; a bunch that they can fade in and out. Then it's the music editor who actually fits them into the show." - Jerry

12. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

I hop on the train home, fumble through my man bag for my noise cancelling headphones, drop my umbrella, almost fall over as train starts moving, pick up umbrella (that's a lie--a really short woman picked it up for me), stash in side caddy, open headphone case, take out headphones, put on headphones, jack into iPhone, open iTunes, select playlist (random tunes from all my music), hit shuffle, and my reward?

"Sunrise" from Dick's 3. o_O:D

But then into "How Sweet It Is" from Jerry Band After Midnight.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  13. budwhite

budwhite Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.

14. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

15. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I think I am falling in love with the 23 January '1970 show on Dave's 19...

I kind of wish they'd kept their powder dry with the 24 January material. If anything, it's even better but missing the jam really hurts. I would have been content if they'd waited for the missing reel to show up. You never know. On the other hand, this was the most logical place for the available material to be put.

Does anyone know how often Bear ran a back-up cassette during this era?

16. rufus t firefly

rufus t firefly Forum Resident

I only have one question.. Where is this painting displayed ? I hope its not sitting in someone's attic !

JRM, warewolf95 and ianuaditis like this.
  17. warewolf95

warewolf95 Forum Resident

I know I come off like a dolt with these crazy reviews but it's just what I put in my notes as I'm listening to the show, lol. Gotta know a year from now what I really thought if I'm considering listening again. :D

I am currently listening to the aforementioned '74. :)

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  18. warewolf95

Don't you guys just hate it when you get the urge to check out other years (1973, 1981, 1987...) more in depth but are committed to 1974 and 1991 for the time being? :D

Just started 5/17/74, Vancouver

Promised Land was mangled sound-wise, but Deal was hot and The Race Is On is always welcome.

See y'all on the other side in three hours time :D

budwhite and wavethatflag like this.
  19. wavethatflag

Ware, be mindful of the self-talk. If you're ever coming off as a dolt I'm sure one of our resident diplomats here will alert you.

I really like Jim James & Friends' cover of "Candynan" 0n that recent compilation whose name escapes me.

20. Scopitone

Scopitone Caught the last train for the coast

I have said it before, but I love the enthusiasm you bring to the shows you enjoy. Don't cut yourself down over it. :righton:

Also: You make notes as you listen? That sounds like a smart idea - though it smacks of "work". Making notes and preparing reviews for rasslin forums hurt my enjoyment of watching rasslin, and the same thing happened with movies and posting reviews to letterboxd.

Do others make this practice, of writing notes about shows you hear? I might be the odd man out.

21. Crispy Rob

Crispy Rob Cat Juggler

Only mental ones that have become less reliable over time.

22. warewolf95

It's less "notes" and more "general comments". :D

What I post here (the big crazy reviews) are my "comments" copy and pasted from my Word file. :)

I love to let the music wash over me and get to that point where you're so involved in it that it almost becomes background noise, ya know? I guess it kind of helps me remember WHY I like something sometimes as opposed to just "that was really great". But it's a mood thing too. Some days I write stuff for every song, other days I might just comment on the set.

wavethatflag and Scopitone like this.
  23. warewolf95

5/17/74 Vancouver

Currently sitting through PITB.

Great jamming. Jerry is full on into his "ambient space wah" soloing and Billy is going all Tazmanian Devil on the kit. I always LOVE Billy's drumming during the '74 jams.

So far this show has that vibe of being "forced" to be good, if that makes sense. Like, the guys are really trying, but it's just not happenning naturally. But at least they are trying! If that makes any sense. It's one of those shows where things are mostly "almost" there, if you get what I'm saying.

A for effort. :)

US Blues and wavethatflag like this.
  24. wavethatflag

Sometimes I do, but I have to sort of force myself and the only utility for me would be posting my thoughts here. Music is primarily a visceral/emotional experience for me and writing about it as I'm listening sort of kills that experience or at least dulls it.

That said, I've read a lot of good insights here about shows and songs and Archtops so I'm all for writing about music, I just don't really want to do it when I'm in the moment of listening.

25. JRM

“I could stay in the winter of ’73 forever," Dick avowed.

[​IMG]