Sound room, bare floors or wall to wall carpet?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by fortherecord, Dec 8, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fortherecord

fortherecord Senior Member Thread Starter

im planning on restoring the floor in my sound room (family room devoted to my audio system) and not sure whether to go with vinyl flooring or wall to wall carpet, over a concrete laid floor. It had very thick w t w carpet once, kind of a dead sound room, took out the carpet last year, which turned the room into an echo chamber, cured only by a mismatch of scatter rugs over broken and missing old asbestos
    Armstrong tile from the 60s. Hi m not sure whether going with thin w t w carpet or vinyl flooring with scatter rugs over, would sound best. On a tite budget with 600 sq ft to cover.

2. chervokas

chervokas Senior Member

Thick wall to wall carpet -- unbacked -- over a thick jute pad, can have sonic pluses and minuses, but for the most part it's only going to be very absorptive down to around the A above middle C with some absorption down to middle C, so it will definitely effect the room's frequency balance, letting any low frequency ringing ring freely while damping the highs. Unless you do some bass trapping, and probably bass trapping that's reflective at high frequencies, that kind of wall to wall carpeting may through the room's frequency balance off. If you use latex backed carpet, it still will only work at those high frequencies but it won't be quite as absorptive. If you just use plain carpet on concrete, without the thick underpadding, you'll only absorb the very high frequencies, really from like 1kHz, and barely effective below that.

I think unbacked area rugs (ideally over thick cotton pads), combined with bass trapping, and first reflection point panels are better than wall to wall carpet and no other room treatments. I understand you're on a tight budget so I'd say set up the room so you can add things over time. You really want to do more than just deaden high or upper mid and high frequencies, which may kill apparent echoes and especially flutter echoes, but still leave the room kind of boomy from bass standing waves. You want the reverb time in the room to relatively consistent across the whole audible range. If you're planning on doing absolutely no room treatments of any sort beside the carpeting, maybe the unbacked rugs over the vinyl floor will be the least intrusive, affecting only the highest frequencies.

mds, basie-fan, Bob_in_OKC and 5 others like this.
  3. The Pinhead

The Pinhead KING OF BOOM AND SIZZLE IN HELL

Big area yute rug in front of the speakers; worked for me, rest of the floor is hardwood over concrete but the room has plenty of furniture. Listening area is free though. Good luck !

fortherecord likes this.
  4. 33na3rd

33na3rd Forum Resident

Another vote for bare floors with area rugs.

5. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Wall to wall carpet for most rooms but you really need to shoot it to be sure.

MaxxMaxx4 and fortherecord like this.
  6. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree:

I used to have this in my old place and I liked the sound. Now I have wall to wall carpeting and while there are some positive aspects, I find that the overall sound is something I am still getting used to, even six months later. :(

33na3rd and fortherecord like this.
  7. fortherecord

I like a live of lively room sound. My fear is that putting wtw carpet in will deaden the room, which already has it's challenges being 20 x20 ft square.

George P likes this.
  8. nolazep

nolazep Burrito Enthusiast

I recently moved, so my main system went from an upstairs room with hardwood floors and a rug to one with bare terrazzo floors. Granted it's a small room, but I like the sound of the bare floors compared to before. The sound "jumps out" more.

I'm hoping to get a rug in there eventually, but more for comfort than for sound treatment.

George P likes this.
  9. The FRiNgE

The FRiNgE Forum Resident

Generally a wall to wall carpet is great for a music room with a lack of furnishings. The area rug in front of the speakers will also work, but needs to be a large area rug, maybe a 12 ft x 12 ft. Your large square room will benefit by treating the walls in the near field. (very important) It is better to remove early reflections, and allow the back of the room to be brighter. Also for the large square dimensions, treat the walls asymmetrically, which will help reduce any echo flanging effect.. a highly destructive kind of echo. For example, drapery on part of the back wall may be very beneficial to the overall echo decay in your room.

I use the handclap method for testing the echo quality and decay. In the ideal room, the handclap should sound sharp and treble, followed by a smooth 0.25 to 1 second decay. (time depending on size of the room.. the decay needs to be smooth) If you hear a discrete echo (bad) or rapid bouncing around of echo, (worse than bad) your room needs sound absorbtion. If you hear a flanging effect, a very fast "ripple" and "phasey" kind of echo, this is devastating to the sound in your room.

good luck.. start by experiment with the hand clap, at or near your listening position, and where you plan to locate the speakers,
    Steve VK

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
    bluemooze, fortherecord and konut like this.
  10. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

You should aim for about 1/3 reflective, 1/3 absorbent and 1/3 refractive surfaces, it's a rough rule of thumb consideration. Since you have 6 surfaces in most rooms, one surface ( the floor ) being completely cover is a good start.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

wood flooring with a throw rug in the middle

Dentdog and fortherecord like this.
  12. Drewan77

Drewan77 Forum Resident

There are differences between a 'lively' room and one that creates excessive echo and reflections. Strictly speaking, fewer reflections will result in a clearer & more focused soundstage & imaging truer to the original recording. Any speakers used in poor acoustic spaces will smear the sound, no matter how fabulous the rest of the system is.

It all depends how you like your sound (you mention lively). I prefer carpet but if you do decide to go with rugs on a vinyl floor then a useful approach is to get a largish mirror to help find the first reflection points.....

Put it in various places on the floor & where you see the speakers from your preferred seating position, try to have a rug at that point to soften first reflections.

Likewise, if someone can help and move the mirror along the side walls, again while you are seated in the listening position, where you also see the speakers (especially the position of tweeters) are good places to put something to break up reflections - canvas (not glass) pictures, wall hangings or bookshelves, music storage racks etc. Dedicated acoustic panels would be best of course.

Manimal, fortherecord and The FRiNgE like this.
  13. tim185

tim185 Forum Resident

This every time. There is no way IF you have a choice, in thinking of a room for sound that you would choose carpet over a hard floor, ever.

fortherecord likes this.
  14. If you have cracked asbestos tiles I'd get those looked at before considering flooring options.

bluemooze and fortherecord like this.
  15. No Static

No Static Gain Rider

This again, simply because it will give you more options in the future.

Who's to say you won't find another pair of speakers that will sound better with one or the other flooring choices? And you can change the rug out, too.

Bonus.
    Accesso-rize.

16. schugh

schugh Forum Resident

I was going to get carpet in my Music and Movie room in our new house.
    That would have been the only room in the house with Carpet.
    I was talking with my Audio Dealer and he suggested Cork.
    I read up on it some and am happy I went with it. The room now doesn't look different from the rest of the house (hardwood).
    I also put a 5x7 rug in front of the listening chairs and it all sounds very good I think.

17. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no need to think.............if it sounds good to you.....it sounds good.

18. duneman

duneman Forum Resident

Good advice folks - we just had our house redone with hardwood floors and while I have yet to put the rig back together I've been thinking about what it's going to sound like. My room has a vaulted ceiling that angles away from the end of the room where the sound system is located, almost like a bellows.

19. F1nut

F1nut Forum Resident

I prefer wall to wall.

MaxxMaxx4 and fortherecord like this.
  20. fortherecord

I've been advised to leave the old tiles in place and just go over them with whatever I choose to put down. I've gotten rid of any loose or broken ones, best not to disturb the asbestos vinyl tiles.

bluemooze, 33na3rd, Shawn and 2 others like this.
  21. fortherecord

All good advice. I have a lot of things on the walls, mostly framed prints and artwork, which may or may not help. The speakers and system have a brick wall and glass enclosed fireplace behind them. I had thick spongy wtw carpet before, which made the room pretty dead sounding I think. Would indoor/outdoor carpet, no padding, be different?

22. MaxxMaxx4

MaxxMaxx4 Forum Resident In Memoriam

I concur.But doesn't any flat reflective surface suck?
    How does your spectrum analyzer react to reflective surfaces Tim?:shh:

Tim 2 likes this.
  23. murphythecat

murphythecat https://www.last.fm/user/murphythecat

nothing good about wall to wall carpet in terms of acoustic

fortherecord likes this.
  24. This. Allows you to play around with the sound and appearance a bit. Some speakers/rooms are more sensitive to reflections from floor than others.

fortherecord likes this.
  25. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

Yes big flat reflective surfaces will always be a problem.
    My FFT spectrum analyzer will oscillate off the screen if one of the mic's gets within 14" of an untreated floor. A spike at 16,300Hz is unavoidable even using an off-axis response.
    I suppose thats why anechoic chambers are designed the way they are, although there far too flat sounding for my personnel listening pleasure.

MaxxMaxx4 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.