Pick Your ONE Favorite "Godfather" Trilogy Quote

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Oatsdad, Mar 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It always seems like Michael is so calculating, and has a purpose for the things he does. I have wondered if he was testing Tom's loyalty. But it is really an awkward and uncomfortable exchange.

2. Jamey K

Jamey K Internet Sensation

" You can have my answer now, if you like. My final offer is this: nothing. Not even the fee for the gaming license, which I would appreciate if you would put up personally."

Vidiot and guidedbyvoices like this.
  3. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

"Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, Wednesday"

4. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

It's telling that one could probably quote ANY line from the Godfather! The dialogue from this movie seems to be branded in everyone's minds!

When do we start to talk about the oranges!?;)

Marzz, ianuaditis and Sammy Banderas like this.
  5. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

Yeah,even some the more common lines seem funny from those charactars although they`re really not.
    What I want,what most important to me is a guarantee there will be no more attempts on my father`s life
    Luca Brasi sleeps with the fishes.
    Tom can you get me off the hook for old time`s sake?

My one favorite has already been mentioned Leave the gun take the canoli

There was an old Cracked or Mad Magazine with a funny parody Chewbacca from Star Wars as The Godfather."Godfather I`m sorry I didn`t invite you to my grandson`s slumber party""RRRRRRr"

6. RayS

Never accept oranges from Sicilian messenger boys - even if they look just like Junior Soprano.

7. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

It was a nice touch showing Michael eating one of those oranges while plotting Roth's death.

RayS likes this.
  8. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Ah, yes...the oranges:righton:. When my wife and I watched the movies a few years back, even she noticed that recurring motif: "What's with the oranges?" I explained how Coppola used oranges as a symbol of death, so naturally after that every time my missus saw a character holding or eating an orange she kept asking, "Is he gonna die?":laugh:

guy incognito likes this.
  9. Phil147

Phil147 Forum Resident

Isn't Tony Soprano carrying a carton of orange juice when the two guys try to shoot him when he was walking to his car in one of the episodes? Pretty sure that was a reference to the Godfather trilogy and Oranges been the sign of bad news for somebody.

Pretty much everyone has mentioned the best quotes but I do like Hyman Roth's 'we're bigger than US Steel' quote which is allegedly taken from Meyer Lansky's 'we're bigger than general motors' quote

10. I never noticed this before...

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

After all these years of viewing, and numerous reading of the book, I also did not know the orange reference. Amazing what one can learn on this forum. I did wonder back in the subconscious why Tony Soprano was holding a bottle of orange juice before the hit attempt. Nice but subtle nod to Godfather.

12. RayS

DeNiro as Fredo ... complete with the oranges (and ever other shot).

EddieMann and Alfie Noakes like this.
  13. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

Although it was not the intent of the scene at the time, that laid the groundwork for why Tom may not still be with Michael by the time of Godfather III.

RayS likes this.
  14. RayS

Sadly, on the anniversary of John Lennon's murder:

"If anything in this life is certain, if history has taught us anything, it is that you can kill anyone."

guy incognito likes this.
  15. Chazro

Chazro Forum Resident

Off the top of my head. Oranges were:
    On the table at the mob summit (G1)
    " " " " (G3)
    What Don Vito was shopping for when he was shot.
    What rolled out of Michael 's hand when he passed.
    An orange rind was in Don Vito's mouth when he died.
    Johnny Ola's gift to Michael from Roth, an orange.
    After Vito gave Fanucci $100, Fanucci goes to a cart and picks up an orange.
    Vito picks an orange from a cart and the vendor tells him he doesn't need to pay.
    During Michael's speech about history and assassinations, he's eating an orange.
    Carlo Rizzo's wearing an orange jumpsuit when Sonny beats him on the street.
    ....and there's more!;)

RayS likes this.
  16. ohnothimagen

ohnothimagen "Live music is better!"

Sounds like there's almost potential there for a Godfather drinking game: take a shot every time you see somebody holding or eating an orange!

17. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

Did you say take a shot?

[​IMG]

18. tonyc

tonyc Forum Resident

I was watching III again last night partly because of this thread and also because I had recently seen Epic. My favorite line outside of the one already mentioned is Connie telling Michael: "They will fear you now". And Michael replying: "Fear me, maybe they should fear you."

RayS likes this.
  19. ianuaditis

ianuaditis Matthew 21:17

Mantegna is great in this role though:

'finocchio' - Italian for 'fennel' and a homosexual slur.

It's 'I didn't know until this day...it was Barzini all along.' That would have been my pick, if not for:

'My father taught me many things here - he taught me in this room. He taught me: keep your friends close, but your enemies closer'

20. I watched the beginning of Godfather 3 last night and I am still struck about how it never really works well. There are some entertaining moments, but it lacks EVERYTHNG that made the first 2 great. What were they thinking as this train wreck was being created?

21. superstar19

superstar19 Authentic By Nature

It's decent, but definitely amazing that it earned an Academy nod, but I guess that could be considered a "courtesy lay".

22. Yep. As a stand alone movie it is not what I would call "awful" either, but as part of the franchise that includes two of arguably the greatest movies of the 70s, it is an embarrassment.

23. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

It doesn't "feel" anything like the first two, so I don't even consider the franchise a trilogy. If they had made it in the 70s it would have been different. The Godfather is the greatest two movie film series. What would that be called?

24. guy incognito

guy incognito Senior Member

A duology.

25. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever Thread Starter

I think the biggest problem - of many - in "G3" is the way it mangles the Michael character. The Michael of "G3" has zero connection to the role in the first 2 movies:

The Godfather: Part III [Blu-Ray] (1990) ยป

Luke The Drifter likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.