New Pretenders - Alone

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by rjp, Sep 7, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. INSW

INSW Senior Member

So they're millions of Pretenders fans sitting this one out because there's a synthesizer on one of the tracks?

I'm a huge fan. In the early 80's I kept a cassette of the first two albums in my car player for three years. Will probably ask for Don't Get Me Wrong to be played when I know I'm down to my last half hour. But she's a cult artist with a dwindling fan base who don't know she has a new album and probably don't care. I really doubt it has anything to do with all this wild experimentation she's supposedly up to.

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Pretenders were a solid live concert draw in the 1980s, but only their first three albums made the top 10 on the Billboard album charts in the USA (Pretenders peaking at #9; Pretenders II at #10; and Learning To Crawl at #5). Every other album failed to make the top 20, with most not making the top 40 and some not even making the top 100.

Say It Right likes this.
  3. Mr Olsen

Mr Olsen Granddanois

Anybody heard the vinyl?

dee likes this.
  4. SweetTea

SweetTea Forum Resident

Yes and its good quality (at least mine is). Comes with a download card that includes the bonus track.

dee likes this.
  5. Say It Right

Say It Right Not for the Hearing Impaired

This kind of confirms my intial impression. Pretenders had been opening for Stevie Nicks (curious about the crossover appeal b/tw these audiences). Believe that this is scheduled to be the bill at ACC in Toronto. Apparently, Pretenders had an open night.

They're booked for next Wednesday here:
    Pretenders - Tickets - Town Ballroom - Buffalo, NY - November 30th, 2016 »

When this was announced, my thinking was that it would be nice to see for first time and possibly last chance. Then the ticket price of $69.50 appeared, which is more than twice the amount for any show at that venue in memory. "No way this sells out at that price" was my thinking but it did.

Getting back to the band itself. Yes, no need to remind us that James Honeyman-Scott and Pete Farndon are long gone. Martin Chambers gives an important "validation." Chrissie could have gone solo, pretty much any time since Packed. The Pretenders name still carries some clout in live action, while the new album won't do squat. This is proof positive.

6. It's great. One of the best albums of the year.

dee and D.B. like this.
  7. That actually seems like a fair price to me for two top tier acts.

dee likes this.
  8. Say It Right

It's only for the Pretenders. They're not exactly top tier now either.

9. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

Two of my favourite new releases are Pretenders and Ian Hunter, the old girl and boy have still got it. If the new album stiffs people are missing out on some good tunes, their loss.

Chris Bernhardt and Muzyck like this.
  10. Well IMHO they are up there with lots of these 80s acts who are now on tour getting $60,. 80 100 plus on up on their own. Patti Smith, Echo & the Bunnyman, Jesus & Mary Chain, etc. The Pretenders actually had more hits and rotation on MTV then those acts back in the day.

D.B. and eelkiller like this.
  11. Say It Right

If Pretenders management thinks that they could get that, then they should headlined their own tour. Anyway, not here to argue about it just because you misinterpreted the previous post.

12. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

They did get what they asked for; it looks like the western NY/Southern Ontario public thought the price was fair. Maybe it is because people think I may be the last chance to see her live.

I see they were asking for approx. $30 for Big Wreck and Sam Roberts Band, good artists but not big names, I can see someone with more of a history demanding the bigger bucks.

13. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

The Pretenders just announced a bunch of UK tour dates for the Autumn of next year (2017!). I guess they are planning way in advance:

[​IMG]

dee likes this.
  14. I may catch them as they come to New England. I did see them live for the Breaking Up The Concrete tour and thought the show was excellent.

dee and fmfxray373 like this.
  15. fmfxray373

fmfxray373 Capitol LPs in the 70s were pretty good.

I saw her at the House Of Blues San Diego for the Concrete tour. Excellent show. Well worth the price. She hasn't lost that sweet contralto voice.
    She is coming with Stevie Nicks to Viejas Arena for $50 next year. I would rather pay more for a club show.

16. Dave Gilmour's Cat

Dave Gilmour's Cat Forum Resident

17. I doubt they will remaster the first disc but it could use it.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

I saw it at target and had to Google it. I had no idea they had a new cd out

Lewisboogie likes this.
  19. Finch Platte

Finch Platte Lettme Rundatt Bayou

20. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

Hep Alien likes this.
  21. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Everywhere in late October I believe.

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. footprintsinthesand

footprintsinthesand Reasons to be cheerful part 1

Chrissie should ask Graham Gouldman to join the bill. For old times sake:
    PreTencc

Hep Alien likes this.
  23. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

The London show rocked last night. Best I've seen with this lineup. Go see if they come to your town.

Hep Alien, dee, No Bull and 1 other person like this.
  24. INSW

INSW Senior Member

Deluxe with live cd showed up on my Prime Streaming today.

Matthew Tate and No Bull like this.
  25. Ken Clark

Ken Clark Forum Resident

I bought the vinyl off Amazon and really like it. As for vinyl quality it's not 180g, not listed as an "audiophile pressing" but the background is quiet and sounds very good. Definitely glad I bought the LP instead of just listening to a few tunes off Spotify and later forgetting about it.

dee and DTK like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.